The Student Room Group

KCL, UCL, or Imperial?

I am going to enrol on a couple of language courses (not degrees) in London, and I am wondering which of these prestigious unis are the most prestigious to have on one's CV?

I reckon KCL but wot doz yous fink?
Reply 1
Depends on the course. Law, KCL. Medicine, UCL. Science, Imperial.
Original post by oShahpo
Depends on the course. Law, KCL. Medicine, UCL. Science, Imperial.

Well, I just said LANGUAGE didn't I?
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Keep your hair on!:biggrin:
I am going to enrol on a couple of language courses (not degrees) in London, and I am wondering which of these prestigious unis are the most prestigious to have on one's CV?

I reckon KCL but wot doz yous fink?

Imperial > UCL >>>>KCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Depending on the language UCL is probably best for most of them especially Eastern European ones. African/Oriental ones SOAS etc.
Reply 6

"I am wondering which of these prestigious unis are the most prestigious to have on one's CV? "
My answer was "Depends on the course. Law, KCL. Medicine, UCL. Science, Imperial." Which is the correct answer to your question.
It depends where you are going with your CV. Are you going into law? then KCL, are you going into medicine? then UCL, are you going into science? then Imperial. If you're going into the language field, then you should probably have a degree in a language.
Perhaps I should have said "field" instead of "course".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Imperial > UCL >>>>KCL

Posted from TSR Mobile

On what do you base that?
Original post by oShahpo
"I am wondering which of these prestigious unis are the most prestigious to have on one's CV? "
My answer was "Depends on the course. Law, KCL. Medicine, UCL. Science, Imperial." Which is the correct answer to your question.
It depends where you are going with your CV. Are you going into law? then KCL, are you going into medicine? then UCL, are you going into science? then Imperial. If you're going into the language field, then you should probably have a degree in a language.
Perhaps I should have said "field" instead of "course".

I am going to enrol on a couple of language courses (not degrees) in London
man can't speak English
Take a look at the entry requirements of each, most of Imperial's courses are A*AA minimum, and that's no coincidence.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Take a look at the entry requirements of each, most of Imperial's courses are A*AA minimum, and that's no coincidence.

Haha, these are evening courses for anybody to join. There are no entry requirements.
Original post by ManDontCare
man can't speak English

Man doesn't understand how language works. The guy is talking about taking a language course and asking which college would look more respectable on his CV. This, however, depends on the field he's going into.
Haha, these are evening courses for anybody to join. There are no entry requirements.

I know, I'm saying because of the steep entry requirements of other courses, it adds to the prestige of the university, as only very capable students get in
Wait, are you talking about the "evening classes" offered by the language departments of these unis? Why would you want to study languages through them if you are not a student, if I wanted to enrich my CV with a language course I would go to an institute, say Goethe Institute for German or the French Institute for French. It sounds rather odd to me to try study languages at Imperial's extra classes (for example) just to have the Imperial logo... Everybody knows that ICL is just about science, this does not mean their language course is any good (as far as I am concerned its just a way for them to earn some extra money and attract employees, cause they get a massive discount).
Original post by Blank_Planet
Wait, are you talking about the "evening classes" offered by the language departments of these unis? Why would you want to study languages through them if you are not a student, if I wanted to enrich my CV with a language course I would go to an institute, say Goethe Institute for German or the French Institute for French. It sounds rather odd to me to try study languages at Imperial's extra classes (for example) just to have the Imperial logo... Everybody knows that ICL is just about science, this does not mean their language course is any good (as far as I am concerned its just a way for them to earn some extra money and attract employees, cause they get a massive discount).

Most universities have language centres which offer evening courses, these are likely to be cheaper than the Goethe Institute or the Alliance Française. Some departments also offer them, for example SSEES offers evening courses in a huge range of Eastern European languages.

OP: Asking about prestige is frankly ridiculous. You won't actually be a student at any of these institutions so it doesn't matter which university is more prestigious. Go to the one that is cheapest.
Original post by Snufkin
Most universities have language centres which offer evening courses, these are likely to be cheaper than the Goethe Institute or the Alliance Française. Some departments also offer them, for example SSEES offers evening courses in a huge range of Eastern European languages.

OP: Asking about prestige is frankly ridiculous. You won't actually be a student at any of these institutions so it doesn't matter which university is more prestigious. Go to the one that is cheapest.

Well as Brunel alumni, I may as well try their courses then, as I get them for a discounted £150 each.

Problem is, it is Brunel. You can't imagine their courses being as good as something offered by KCL or Imperial?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending