The Student Room Group

Andrea Leadsom quits Prime Minister race

Scroll to see replies

How is that interesting? The raison d'etre of UKIP is that the Conservative party can't deliver on Europe. That's been their line for the last 20 years.

If they turn around and say 'Actually yeah, the Conservatives are going to deliver Brexit for you' then the party has no reason to exist...

A bit like Labour turning around and saying 'Actually yeah, the Conservatives represent working people better than we do...'
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Fullofsurprises
My answer is to quote Kipling.

I could not dig; I dared not rob:
Therefore I lied to please the mob.
Now all my lies are proved untrue
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?

Have a :console: for your burn. May is going to be an absolute disaster. Leadsom was 100% right about the motherhood comments. People without children by definition have no stake in the future. Her dropping out is tragic, but it's exactly what I'd knew would happen when the Leavers piled on behind her.Boris should man up.
These politicians aren't resilient enough!
Reply 43
Original post by iEthan
My reaction: :u:

My reaction was the opposite, we should've burned May at the stake when we had the chance she is a witch only good at making herself appear good and bullying the other candidates. It is a sad day, a very sad day. :frown: the following was my reaction exactly :yikes::cry2::puke::shakecane::rant: I say we should:mob:.
Soon we will see May in her true light....:fuhrer:.
Original post by tanyapotter

Did Theresa May say she wants Article 50 invoked as soon as possible, or is she in no rush? I can't quite remember what she had to say about it.

No rush - she said there'd likely be no Article 50 before Christmas at the earliest (thank god)
Original post by BobSausage
My reaction was the opposite, we should've burned May at the stake when we had the chance she is a witch only good at making herself appear good and bullying the other candidates. It is a sad day, a very sad day. :frown: the following was my reaction exactly :yikes::cry2::puke::shakecane::rant: I say we should:mob:.
Soon we will see May in her true light....:fuhrer:.

Oh no, I dislike them both equally. I am nonplussed by it all. Whatever is going to happen, will happen… I will be safe in the knowledge that I had nothing to do with its causation. :smile:
This is really bad for Labour. If May takes over as PM sooner than expected then she may be tempted to call an early election before Labour have got rid of Corbyn. :frown:
Reply 47
Original post by tanyapotter
It was her job to make herself understood then. Not our fault she's THAT incompetent. If she couldn't handle a weekend's worth of questioning and doubt from the public, how would she have handled it for 5 years?
I guess you must be pleased that one of those damned 'old' people won't be able to f up your future.
Original post by Supersaps
First time I've ever heard Cameron called 'ideologically fixated' - the man is widely recognised as a political opportunist.

His premiership and rise to power have been defined completely by his jumping on the austerity bandwagon, then the 'modernisation' of the Tory brand, gay marriage, culminating in an EU referendum, of course.

If you want ideologically fixated, look to IDS, Gove, Corbyn, Abbott....

SS

I think a lot of that was image.

There really isn't that much politically between any of them, they are all committed in the Tory ranks to an extremist form of neoliberalism.
Original post by viffer
I guess you must be pleased that one of those damned 'old' people won't be able to f up your future.

I still don't understand why you're so butthurt that I said old people will die soon? It's a simple fact of nature and life. Get over it.
Original post by Snufkin
This is really bad for Labour. If May takes over as PM sooner than expected then she may be tempted to call an early election before Labour have got rid of Corbyn. :frown:

:yep:

The sad reality now is that May will walk a general election in September or next spring and there will be a solid Tory majority. I wonder if Corbyn will go even then? Presumably only the London Labour MPs will be left, so perhaps not. :rolleyes:
Reply 51
It's probably better to have a remainer for the discussions with the EU.
Reply 52
Original post by Snufkin

It would be a Tory landslide, with at least a dozen UKIP MPs.
Reply 53
Original post by Davij038
This sort of think makes me even more impressed with Blair, Mandelson et Al in managing to give labour tory discipline. Regardless of whether you liked their policies they were an organised, efficient opposition party able to make and implement change for the better.
Blair and Prudence git away with it because Middle England decided they wanted a change from the Tories. The 2015 GE went the way it did because Milliband frightened them into thinking they were going to get the old Labour. As long as Corbyn and the likes of Abbott are at the helm of the party the next GE will go the same way. People will not conflate wanting out of Europe with wanting a very Left Government
Let's just make something clear - if Theresa May does not trigger Article 50 and take the United Kingdom out of the European Union then UKIP are going nowhere, in fact they will get more support than ever before.
Original post by jake4198
Let's just make something clear - if Theresa May does not trigger Article 50 and take the United Kingdom out of the European Union then UKIP are going nowhere, in fact they will get more support than ever before.

UKIP were never all that scary in reality (Cameron pretended they were to manipulate the political situation in his party) and they are a totally busted flush now really, they've never put a new MP in (only one popular Tory who defected) and they persist in getting nowhere significant in UK elections.

We would all have been ignoring them a long time ago were it not for the Tory in-fighting and the media obsession with Farage, which presumably served some interest or other which they aren't telling us about.
I'm glad, however it wasn't unexpected. Every prominent Leave campaigner has seemed to dissapear from politics over the last few weeks, probs bc they know that the UK were naive enough to listen to them lol
Original post by Fullofsurprises
UKIP were never all that scary in reality (Cameron pretended they were to manipulate the political situation in his party) and they are a totally busted flush now really, they've never put a new MP in (only one popular Tory who defected) and they persist in getting nowhere significant in UK elections.

We would all have been ignoring them a long time ago were it not for the Tory in-fighting and the media obsession with Farage, which presumably served some interest or other which they aren't telling us about.

Do you know UKIP came second in over 120 constituencies in the last election? In my home town, Hartlepool, a safe Labour seat, UKIP are less than 3,000 votes away from winning - and that was with UKIP polling at 15% nationally. If UKIP polls at around 20-25% then they will make huge gains in the North and Wales.
Original post by jake4198

She won't trigger it right away, why on Earth would she? That gives all the power to the EU and starts the countdown until the UK must leave the EU, even if we don't have a deal. We need to establish what our goals are before we head down the Article 50 path - what do we want? To stay in the EEA? To stay in the single market but nothing else? Go it alone entirely?
Mrs May is an excellent choice. She could be in post by the weekend.

:congrats:*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending