The Student Room Group

Andrea Leadsom quits Prime Minister race

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jake4198
Do you know UKIP came second in over 120 constituencies in the last election? In my home town, Hartlepool, a safe Labour seat, UKIP are less than 3,000 votes away from winning - and that was with UKIP polling at 15% nationally. If UKIP polls at around 20-25% then they will make huge gains in the North and Wales.

And without Farage?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
And without Farage?

Google Steven Woolfe. He will do a much better job than Farage.
Original post by tanyapotter
Excited at the prospects of the new Prime Minister being a remain voter.

It's hilarious you still think there's far-reaching support from Europeans to the continuation of European membership...

Netherlands = PVV are leading in the polls.
Austria = Freedom Party are leading in the polls.
Denmark = Danish People's Party are a close second in the polls.
Italy = The Five Star Movement are leading in the polls.
Germany = The AFD are the fastest growing political party.
France = The Front National are leading in the polls.
Sweden = The Sweden Democrats are a close second in the polls.
Poland = PIS just won the election.
Belgium = Vlaans Belang are the fastest growing political party.
Greece = Golden Dawn are the third biggest political party.
Hungary = Fidesz just won the election.
It's hilarious you still think there's far-reaching support from Europeans to the continuation of European membership...

What? All I said was that I'm glad the new Prime Minister won't be a Brexiter, because we need someone who won't take us out of the single market.
Reply 64
Original post by tanyapotter
I still don't understand why you're so butthurt that I said old people will die soon? It's a simple fact of nature and life. Get over it.

That wasn't what you said. It went beyond the inevitability of death for everyone. You were bitter that mature (a concept you have clearly yet to master) people disproportionately voted to leave the EU causing you to have a hissy fit. You have a bit of growing up to do
UKIP were never all that scary in reality (Cameron pretended they were to manipulate the political situation in his party) and they are a totally busted flush now really, they've never put a new MP in (only one popular Tory who defected) and they persist in getting nowhere significant in UK elections.

We would all have been ignoring them a long time ago were it not for the Tory in-fighting and the media obsession with Farage, which presumably served some interest or other which they aren't telling us about.

Or if we had PR then they would have about 50MPs now.

Where the heck are the Greens in all this? They have 1MP and get far fewer votes. If UKIP are inconsequential your wonderful Green Party is dead and totally not relevant to anything.

We have also left the EU. Which is what UKIP want.
Original post by Captain Jack
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36763208

This really is an exciting non-stop roller coaster at the moment. Politics has never been so exciting!

THE NEW PRIME MINISTER IS THERESA MAY OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND

All HAIL!!

:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leavers are so good at leaving
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Or if we had PR then they would have about 50MPs now.

Where the heck are the Greens in all this? They have 1MP and get far fewer votes. If UKIP are inconsequential your wonderful Green Party is dead and totally not relevant to anything.

We have also left the EU. Which is what UKIP want.

Greens are the only party of the future, to sub-quote Lenin. :teehee:

I don't think it was UKIP that got the Brexit vote. It was manoeuvring in the Tory Party making use of UKIP as the pretext. Anyway, UKIP is just a particularly right wing and stupid branch of the Tory Party.

Not all of these parties want to leave the EU though. Even the leader of the Freedom Party favours EU membership. Fidesz have been in power for many years in Hungary and they would never leave the EU. AFD may be the fastest growing but I don't think they will get the majority of the country to support them anytime soon
Original post by lawlieto
Not all of these parties want to leave the EU though. Even the leader of the Freedom Party favours EU membership. Fidesz have been in power for many years in Hungary and they would never leave the EU. AFD may be the fastest growing but I don't think they will get the majority of the country to support them anytime soon

I'm not saying that these countries want to leave, but any country led by any of the aforementioned parties would be a huge headache for the EU.

The AFD openly opposes Muslim migration and the Fidesz in Hungary has said no to admitting refugees even though they were ordered to by the European Commission.
Theresa May winning by default hardly screams democracy to me. She should have stuck to her guns and gone the distance. Andrea Leadsom is a coward.*
Original post by thunder_chunky
Theresa May winning by default hardly screams democracy to me. She should have stuck to her guns and gone the distance. Andrea Leadsom is a coward.*

She isn't a coward. She is just a realist who has realised that the job is not suited for her and that she does not have enough support from Conservative MPs to run the party. Even though I supported her in her race to become Prime Minister, she has made the mature and commendable decision to put the interests of her party and stability of the economy above her personal goals, something that a certain someone in the Labour Party isn't doing.
Did you see Boris talking in Parliament the other day about the need to not frighten EU citizens living here and UK citizens living in the EU? He sounded like he was a 100% Remainer. What an outrageous cheek he has, if there was a Nobel Prize for Hypocrisy, he would be front runner.

No one on the leave side has ever thought that was an appealing idea it came as the result of May saying eu national status wasn't settled until eu ex pats was settled

Posted from TSR Mobile
Greens are the only party of the future, to sub-quote Lenin. :teehee:

I don't think it was UKIP that got the Brexit vote. It was manoeuvring in the Tory Party making use of UKIP as the pretext. Anyway, UKIP is just a particularly right wing and stupid branch of the Tory Party.

Yes but under a a system of proportional representation they would have had 50+ MPs. That would make them a bigger party than the Lib Dems.

Do you want PR? The only thing keeping UKIP from being a bigger force in Parliament is FPTP.
(edited 7 years ago)

why is there an asterisk on the end of your post

There was talk of MP's from both sides of the house forming a new centrist party if her and Corbyn were leaders so she did the sensible thing from a Conservative Party perspective.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/labour-tory-mps-talk
Original post by hezzlington
why is there an asterisk on the end of your post

It's a bug on TSR. *They are aware and probably dealing with it. Then again, it's Monday so they're probably all sitting on their asses drinking coffee and eating pop tarts.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yes but under a a system of proportional representation they would have had 50+ MPs. That would make them a bigger party than the Lib Dems.

Do you want PR? The only thing keeping UKIP from being a bigger force in Parliament is FPTP.

Personally I would still favour having it even under those circumstances. I think not having it dooms us to decade after decade of stupid, reactionary politics like the current ones. We would have a better chance of modernising the country properly under PR. It's not a message that's likely to get far though, as there are too many vested interests conspiring to keep things the way they are, or have been up to now. The full collapse of Labour down to a rump might start to bring them on board genuinely at last, as opposed to the pathetic back tracking they did on the issue under Blair and Brown.

I also think that a full Labour collapse is going to open the door to more Green MPs by the way.
It's a bug on TSR. *They are aware and probably dealing with it. Then again, it's Monday so they're probably all sitting on their asses drinking coffee and eating pop tarts.

it is the Remain Bug... if you have supported Remain recently on here you are marked with an Asterisk.... *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending