The Student Room Group

A discussion about Death

This is going to be a bit of a morbid discussion, just to warn ye all :colone:

Death is something that us humans tend to stress over at some point during our lives. We worry that we won't be able to do everything in our life that we had planned; that we have regrets of what we could have done earlier and of course, HOW we are going to die.

So I question the TSR community with these four questions:

1. What is the worst way you can imagine dying?
2. What are you scared of not doing by the time you have reached the end of your life?
3. Are you scared of dying?
4. Do you feel/hope there is something waiting after? (Even if you're not religious.)

------

My answers:

1. Burning to death - literally can't imagine anything worse!
2. Not having kids... Would love to see some mini-PugDevils running around the place.
3. No - I feel it is something that you have to accept.
4. Yes. I'm not religious at all, but to think there is just emptiness after death is a bit, well... bleurgh! :hmmm:

Of course, if there is anything else you want to contribute about death then go for it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
My answers are pretty much exactly the same as yours, except the last one- I strongly believe that there's no afterlife :redface:
1. Burning, definitely.
2. Not finding a partner I suppose, or at least not having a life I was content/happy to have lived.
3. Not particularly
4. On one hand I'd like to think so, but it's just so difficult to comprehend our consciousness not existing. I'm quite curious about it actually.
Reply 4
Original post by Al-Ayubi

Yep - pretty much my fear in one picture! :redface:

Original post by goam
My answers are pretty much exactly the same as yours, except the last one- I strongly believe that there's no afterlife :redface:

It was a question I wasn't going to include :wink: Is there any reasoning behind that or simply that there isn't really any proof? Just curious - if its personal then just tell me to shut up, I'm fine with that :biggrin:
Reply 5
1. Anything prolonged and painful. I can envisage far too many gruesome and absurd things here, so in terms of the conventional, I guess burning is bad enough.
2. Not settling down with someone, not doing anything worthwhile
3. Yes, though I'm much more scared of for instance getting a terminal illness and knowing I will die than the notion of just suddenly dying, as I believe I would be none the wiser in the latter case..
4. Yes. I never want my existence/consciousness in some form to end.
Kicking a wall with a toothpick under your nail
Not doing all the daft **** I want
Death might be a thing of the past by the time I'm 80 lol
No
(edited 7 years ago)
1. Scaphism- it's all subjective of course, but I've heard that experiencing this is the worst pain imaginable.
2. Being happily married.
3. Yes, and I probably always will be. Even when I'm very old.
4. I certainly hope so. But there is a difference between believing in an afterlife because you genuinely do believe in it, and believing because you want it to exist.
Reply 8
1. Drowning, burning or a slow painful death caused by illness
2. Scared of not getting over OCD and panic attacks. I don't want to live all my life in fear when it holds me back so much
3. Yes, but more scared of those I care about dying.
4. I'd love to believe in the rainbow bridge where you are reunited with your long lost pets and then you walk together into heaven and are reunited with all your loved ones but its never washed with me. I believe after you die, there is nothing. Just darkness.
Reply 9
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
1. Scaphism- it's all subjective of course, but I've heard that experiencing this is the worst pain imaginable.
2. Being happily married.
3. Yes, and I probably always will be. Even when I'm very old.
4. I certainly hope so. But there is a difference between believing in an afterlife because you genuinely do believe in it, and believing because you want it to exist.

Why did you make me google this :cry2::lol:

But about your afterlife answer, I think that pretty much sums it up. I want it to exist, but I'm extremely sceptical about things unless there is substantial proof.
Reply 10
Original post by PugDevil

It was a question I wasn't going to include :wink: Is there any reasoning behind that or simply that there isn't really any proof? Just curious - if its personal then just tell me to shut up, I'm fine with that :biggrin:

I'm a pretty logical person & the existence of an afterlife just doesn't make my sense to me I guess and I just can't comprehend the idea of it + it seems like something humans just made up in order to comfort themselves
Reply 11
Lol I dont wanna think about that yet!
Reply 12
Original post by Spock's Socks
I believe after you die, there is nothing. Just darkness.

If this was the case, then this is why I would hate to die in my sleep. Yes, it may be more peaceful, but you lose the chance to say goodbye to your loved ones, unless of course you knew it was around the corner.
Reply 13
Original post by Rispekt
Lol I dont wanna think about that yet!

:lol: I apologise, it was in the back of my head that the majority of this forum is quite young (Including myself!!)
Reply 14
Original post by Spock's Socks
1. Drowning, burning or a slow painful death caused by illness
2. Scared of not getting over OCD and panic attacks. I don't want to live all my life in fear when it holds me back so much
3. Yes, but more scared of those I care about dying.
4. I'd love to believe in the rainbow bridge where you are reunited with your long lost pets and then you walk together into heaven and are reunited with all your loved ones but its never washed with me. I believe after you die, there is nothing. Just darkness.

It seems pretty logical to believe there is something after you die. Maybe not rainbows but something else. Humans arent just bodies you know. With all the possible things in this universe like wormholes, timeloops, blackholes, it doesnt seem that unreasonable to believe afterlife exists.
Falling to my death - this is my worst nightmare!

2. What are you scared of not doing by the time you have reached the end of your life?
I want to make a noticeable positive impact in other peoples lives, and also visit some of the places I've always wanted to go to. I'd be sad if I wasn't able to do those things.

3. Are you scared of dying?
Yes. I'm not afraid of death (as in being dead), but the way in which I am going to die worries me a bit. I really hope it's not going to be something drawn out and/or severely painful.

4. Do you feel/hope there is something waiting after? (Even if you're not religious.)
No. I would like to think that perhaps there is some sort of afterlife, but I personally don't think there is one.
Original post by PugDevil
Why did you make me google this :cry2::lol:

But about your afterlife answer, I think that pretty much sums it up. I want it to exist, but I'm extremely sceptical about things unless there is substantial proof.

:lol: Haha! I did nothing of the sort and you know it! Either way I should probably have put a trigger warning so I do apologise. :smile:

And I completely agree. It often makes me wonder whether the majority of people are religious because they need the reassurance in their lives, but that's a totally different debate of course.
Reply 17
Original post by Leviathan1741
Falling to my death - this is my worst nightmare!

I regularly 'fall off a cliff' in my dreams :tongue: One time I literally made my whole body jump because of the whole hit the ground thingy!
1. Probably being buried alive tbh.
2. Not being in love with someone who loves me back
3. Nah, it's a natural thing to happen. All the atoms within me need to be reused
4. I hope so
Reply 19
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
:lol: Haha! I did nothing of the sort and you know it! Either way I should probably have put a trigger warning so I do apologise. :smile:

And I completely agree. It often makes me wonder whether the majority of people are religious because they need the reassurance in their lives, but that's a totally different debate of course.

It's alright! It was my own curiosity that took me there :wink:

That's opening a whole different can of worms :tongue: But I have had similar thoughts about it as well to be honest. Obviously there isn't anything wrong with seeking reassurance mind you :smile: