The Student Room Group

Charlie's pre-uni big summer list

So I've just finished year 13 and I'm enjoying my summer before (hopefully) heading off to university in September. While I know I'll meet up with my friends and family during term breaks it will be a change from seeing them basically everyday, so this summer I want to make memories.

Every summer I always say things that I want to do and then never do them. Not this time. This will be a long list of big and small goals that I have wanted to complete for years.

As I am actually an adult now and I'm about to move far away I'm hoping to do things that push my comfort zone since I am a massive introvert - such as travelling by myself!

Wish me luck!

Not yet/Making Progress/It Happened!

Goals surrounding friends and family

Go on some day trips with my mum

Spoiler

Go on holiday with just one friend

Spoiler

The movie night we always plan

Spoiler

Surprise party for my best friend

Spoiler

Beach day - must include a kickass sandcastle

Spoiler

Go outdoor climbing

Spoiler

Large picnic with homemade food

Spoiler

Garden Party until midnight

Spoiler

1920s murder mystery dinner

Spoiler

Book a last minute holiday abroad

Spoiler

Personal Goals and Plans

Start learning to drive

Spoiler

Complete the 30 days of yoga challenge

Spoiler

Read 15+ books

Spoiler

Run in a charity race

Spoiler

Get a summer job

Spoiler

Do some volunteer work

Spoiler

Try out new vegetarian recipes

Spoiler

Go on a walk and explore somewhere new by myself

Spoiler

Make new friends while travelling

Spoiler

Watch a new film in the cinema

Spoiler

Alternatively watch a classic black and white film

Spoiler

Long standing wishes of places to go

Go to a water park

Spoiler

Visit a castle

Spoiler

Warner Bros. Studio Tour London

Spoiler

Go to London Comic Con

Spoiler

Visit Baker Street

Spoiler

Watch a live performance or interactive screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Spoiler

Acting goals

Be involved in a amateur performance to a public audience

Spoiler

Watch a performance by the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC)

Get involved with some work with the (RSC)

Spoiler

Help make a film with a group of other creative peeps that I meet this summer

Spoiler

Help write a script

Spoiler

Do some reading in preparation for university

Spoiler

Reply 1
Bucket List Update - Run in a Charity Race

On the 3rd on July I was able to take part in Race for Life in Derby with my friends Millie and Tessa. It was incredibly good fun and we raised £70 for Cancer Research UK - loved being part of the pink army and will definitely do it again!
:heart:

13278050_1021831677898335_458097328_n.jpg
Reply 2
Bucket List Update - Be involved in a amateur performance to a public audience

So this afternoon we did our final performance of The Pillowman!

The group was made up of my A Level Theatre Studies Class but was done completely outside of school, so I'm counting it as a amateur performance. We started this back in June once exams were over and the Grand Pavilion offered to showcase our performance without charge and all proceeds went to charity. It was a lovely way to finish two years of performing together (otherwise the last meet up would have been in the exam hall!)
IMG_20150324_103207844.jpg so long itchy fake blood!
(edited 7 years ago)
are you the one wearing the crop top in post #2?
What will you be doing with the RSC and was it easy to get involved? Sounds fab! x
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
are you the one wearing the crop top in post #2?

Yes I am :smile:
Original post by charlie-hh
Yes I am :smile:

Can't wait for you to show off your yoga then :biggrin:
Hey. I like this thread and my plan for the summer was to get a job. And I am pleased to announce that I am starting as a part time call centre advisor tomorrow at a company called RS Connect. I have also made a new blog on social issues. Feel free to check it out and share it with anyone who might be interested. Just looking to inspire and empower people really.

Philachange.wordpress.com
Reply 8
Original post by surreptitious
What will you be doing with the RSC and was it easy to get involved? Sounds fab! x

I'm getting involved with this 'play in a week' project they have during a theatre festival in Stratford. I'll be working with the director that worked on the current adaptation of Hamlet and by the end of the week we perform.

The week is for 18+ but there is also 'a play in two days' for 14-17 year olds. It has filled up now, but worth keeping an eye on the RSC for next year if you are interested.

The week begins 6th August and I'll make sure to post about it in this thread! x
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Thank you, I really want to make it a summer to remember!

I've been offered a place at Bath Spa University on their Acting course, which hopefully I have got the grades for. If not I've got an unconditional at Staffordshire Acting and Theatre Arts
I did a murder Mystery this summer! I would definitely recommend it. (I made my own) But it was really good fun!
Reply 11
Bucket List Update - Summer Job

So after a few weeks of training I had my first full day of work today! I'm working in a mining museum and loving it because there are so many different jobs I get to do

Serve in the cafe (good experience to help me get a part time job whilst at uni)

Work in the gift shop (another classic job for uni)

Helping give underground mine tours & helping children gold panning for fools gold at the end

Research for the new displays that will be up by September

Join in organising events at the museum (we are planning a mine craft day so part of my work is making a creeper out of boxes to put down the mine!)

So it's a interesting variety of stuff to do. Another bonus is that the research and writing for the new displays doesn't have to be done at the museum so I can clock up work hours working in the museum and do research to email in whilst I'm travelling! :h:
Reply 12
Original post by LiiHyde
I did a murder Mystery this summer! I would definitely recommend it. (I made my own) But it was really good fun!

Excellent! I spoke with a few friends about surprising someone with a murder mystery - she loves this type of thing and we could have a 1920s themed dinner where someone unexpectedly 'dies' and she has to solve the case. Just talk right now, but hopefully we can make it happen!

Any tips for making your own murder mystery?
Original post by charlie-hh
Excellent! I spoke with a few friends about surprising someone with a murder mystery - she loves this type of thing and we could have a 1920s themed dinner where someone unexpectedly 'dies' and she has to solve the case. Just talk right now, but hopefully we can make it happen!

Any tips for making your own murder mystery?

Well I spent about 2 weeks putting it together before it happened - I think that when making your own, planning is key. I found some murder mystery games online which I took inspiration from as they let you see some of their own print outs for free , but they're a bit expensive so I just used word and paint to create the tasks and items each player had!

If you make your own I recommend an interrogation section (I had two characters ask everyone questions about the murder and had envelopes delivered to the table revealing evidence and plot twists) all my friends got really into their characters even the less outgoing ones so it was really funny!

Good Luck with it though I'm sure it will be great! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest