The Student Room Group

Organised marches for dead Dallas police officers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DauntlessOne
I'd say something, but there's no point having an intelligent discussion with liberals because it never ends well, or you just reach an impasse with one another.

Sigh

That's not true. I've had this discussion with multiple 'right wing' tsrians and either we ended up reaching an agreement or they couldn't actually dispute what I said.
Stop with this idea that everyone that dares have a view different to yours is a liberal who can't engage in intelligent discussion. If you start every discussion with this idea in mind that's probably why they don't go well.

Anyway, what's the need of throwing statistics around all the time? We all agree that the US has a police brutality problem and we all want racial equality in the end so I don't see the point of this never ending debate that goes nowhere.
Original post by Playmaker#10
How did you do that, what was your multiplier or formula?

2698/13 * 100
2755/62 * 100
Original post by StrawbAri
Sigh

That's not true. I've had this discussion with multiple 'right wing' tsrians and either we ended up reaching an agreement or they couldn't actually dispute what I said.
Stop with this idea that everyone that dares have a view different to yours is a liberal who can't engage in intelligent discussion. If you start every discussion with this idea in mind that's probably why they don't go well.

Anyway, what's the need of throwing statistics around all the time? We all agree that the US has a police brutality problem and we all want racial equality in the end so I don't see the point of this never ending debate that goes nowhere.

It's got nothing to do with that. It's just common knowledge that you can't have a reasonable and intellectual discussion with a wishy-washy liberal, because their particular way of thinking is absurd, in regards to intelligent thought. And why do you assume I am right-wing? If anything, based upon my political leanings and what I believe needs to be done, I would call myself a centralist and a parliamentarian. (Not centralist as the dictionary knows it. Centralist in the sense of left-wing ideas, combined with right-wing ideas - the best of both worlds, moderation. Neither of which verging the radical of either political spectrum).
Some of the Black males killed by Police haven't even been by White officers like the recent death of Philando Castille which is what sparked these anti-White police killings?

They associate police with Whites but from what I've seen of the
police policing these protests they're quite diverse

Killing cops and chanting **** the police is going to make things a lot worse

If things ever get so out of hand they'll bring in the national guard or worse and who knows how many will die from that
there should have been sympathy for all cases - mob rule cannot use what happened the day before to excuse a black man going on what was essentially a racist murderous rampage of 5 people. And no mention that the shooter shot a black woman trying to protect her kids- who then the dallas police officers protected and took bullets for in doing so.
Reply 65
The people are not allowing themselves to be distracted by the real issues.
"America is a*democracy*and has no*Hitler, but I am afraid for her future; there are hard times ahead for the American people, troubles will be coming from within and without. America cannot smile away their Negro problem nor Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There are cosmic laws."

(Albert Einstein, in a conversation of 1948, as quoted in*Einstein and the Poet*: In Search of the Cosmic Man*(1983) by William Hermanns, p. 108)

Einstein is a real genius. His vision is really amazing. Racism still exists in US. And it seems to me no one can solve this big problem. Poor America!

1468243278231.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
As soon as you use the "well, they knew the risks, what do they expect" argument, you must apply the same to those people who resist arrest or refuse to comply with commands from armed police in the US.
It's not like it hasn't happened before.

despite statistically white people are more likely to commit crime
This simply is not true. Blacks are more statistically likely to commit crime than are whites. Bear in mind that about 72% of the population is white.
Original post by QE2
As soon as you use the "well, they knew the risks, what do they expect" argument, you must apply the same to those people who resist arrest or refuse to comply with commands from armed police in the US.
It's not like it hasn't happened before.

This simply is not true. Blacks are more statistically likely to commit crime than are whites. Bear in mind that about 72% of the population is white.

The table you provided shows the exact opposite of the point you made, from the bottom of the table

''In 2012, 69.3 percent of all individuals arrested were white, 28.1 percent were black, and 2.6 percent were of other races.''
Reply 69
Yes. And as black and black mixed race make up 22% (which is smaller than 28.1%) of the population, they are statistically more kilely to commit crime than whites (who make up 72% - which is less than 69.3%).
For them to be statistically less likely, their percentage of crime must be smaller than their percentage of population, not larger!

And when you remove "white collar" crime and just include violent crime, blacks are even more likely to be the perpetrators. For instance, murder or robbery are almost 50/50.

I'm not making any points or assumptions other that pointing out that your claim was false.
Original post by QE2
Yes. And as black and black mixed race make up 22% (which is smaller than 28.1%) of the population, they are statistically more kilely to commit crime than whites (who make up 72% - which is less than 69.3%).
For them to be statistically less likely, their percentage of crime must be smaller than their percentage of population, not larger!

And when you remove "white collar" crime and just include violent crime, blacks are even more likely to be the perpetrators. For instance, murder or robbery are almost 50/50.

I'm not making any points or assumptions other that pointing out that your claim was false.

I love how you gloss over and ignore the fact that whites are more likely to be rapists and sexual offenders from the same table. Worse crime than robbery, huh?
Reply 71
First, I was not glossing-over or ignoring anything. I merely pointed out that your assertion was wrong.
Whites are not statistically more likely to commit crime, they are less so.

Second, the table shows that blacks are more likely to commit rape that whites. Whites 65% (verses 69% of the population), and blacks 32% (verses 28% of the population).

I think that perhaps you do not understand how these statistics work.
If Whites make up 69% of the population, a statistic that shows them to make up less than 69% means that they are under-represented, or "statistically less likely to".
Conversely, any statistic that shows them to be more than 69% means that they are over-represented for that event, or "statistically more likely to".
The same applies to black demographic statistics.

However, as I said I have no point to make regarding these statistics other than to show that your claim was false. They may be meaningful, they may not. I have no opinion on the issue. Do you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 72
No. Again you fail to take into account population size.

According the that chart "whites" (which also includes Hispanics) commit 65% of rapes, blacks commit 32% so "whites" are underrepresented and blacks are overrepresented, meaning blacks are more likely to be rapists.
Original post by Crassy
No. Again you fail to take into account population size.

According the that chart "whites" (which also includes Hispanics) commit 65% of rapes, blacks commit 32% so "whites" are underrepresented and blacks are overrepresented, meaning blacks are more likely to be rapists.

Alright then :rolleyes:
Reply 74
What don't you understand?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending