The Student Room Group

how far through your degree are you?

Scroll to see replies

I started in September 2012 and am graduating this summer
Original post by shawtyb

what is ur PHD in?
how long can a PHD go on for then?

My PhD is in Law (social rather than practical, so I'll be going on to be an academic rather than an actual lawyer!), and they can last indefinitely, I think, so long as you can fund it! A friend of mine has been doing his PhD in Engineering part time and will graduate next year after 6 years of study.
Reply 42
Original post by clonedmemories
My PhD is in Law (social rather than practical, so I'll be going on to be an academic rather than an actual lawyer!), and they can last indefinitely, I think, so long as you can fund it! A friend of mine has been doing his PhD in Engineering part time and will graduate next year after 6 years of study.

why would u want to study for ever lol surely youd learn it all evenetually?

Original post by super_kawaii
I started in September 2012 and am graduating this summer

what u gradding with?
Original post by shawtyb
why would u want to study for ever lol surely youd learn it all evenetually?

You don't study, you research. In particular, my research interests lie within a very under-researched area of the social sciences, so I'm not learning what's already out there, but bringing new information into the public domain. Equally, you never learn it all when society and the world doesn't go a moment without changing itself, and once something changes, however tiny it might be, there's something new to learn.
Reply 44
Original post by clonedmemories
You don't study, you research. In particular, my research interests lie within a very under-researched area of the social sciences, so I'm not learning what's already out there, but bringing new information into the public domain. Equally, you never learn it all when society and the world doesn't go a moment without changing itself, and once something changes, however tiny it might be, there's something new to learn.

ah yea suppose
Original post by shawtyb

what did u get and what did u do?
im amazed i know roughly what u look like now!!

A first, and I did Accounting and Management.
Haha, I've had my full face as my avi before :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by Lord Samosa
A first, and I did Accounting and Management.
Haha, I've had my full face as my avi before :tongue:

oh wow!! u smart cookie!!
im doing business management but i did a 9 week module on accounting and finance !
iv never seen it before ! :O
I am about to start my second year of a law degree at the university of Sheffield. However I had a year out to retake some exams so should be going into my third year. I don't plan on doing a year abroad or in industry or anything like that so will still graduate with a lot of the people who were in my year at college/school. My first year grades weren't as strong as I would have liked and although I went out quite a bit, I am gonna tone that down a bit I reckon. I also didn't do much work after coming back from the library or at the weekends so that's something I can work on to Improve. Plus, in second term my sleeping habit never really recovered from Easter and the downturn in my grades sort of coincided with that :L
Original post by shawtyb
oh wow!! u smart cookie!!
im doing business management but i did a 9 week module on accounting and finance !
iv never seen it before ! :O

I still can't believe it tbh, I'm actually an idiot :lol:
How did you find it? I considered Business management, but I just really liked the accounting modules.

Well you've seen it now :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by Lord Samosa
I still can't believe it tbh, I'm actually an idiot :lol:
How did you find it? I considered Business management, but I just really liked the accounting modules.

Well you've seen it now :biggrin:

i found that module the worse one so far! seriously hate it! and very very nearly failed!
business management in itself is good but boring at times lol
im an idiot too!
Just finished 1st yearI am expected to finish May 2018 I started in Sept 2015*

*I already did 1 year at a previous uni on a similar course to what I was doing. But because I hadn't done any modules in Philosophy during my 1st year, I had to start again at my new uni.

I'm excited to go back to uni. But anxious due to how expensive it will be!
I graduate on this upcoming Tuesday!

Quick Reply

Latest