The Student Room Group

Inside Britain's SHARIA courts

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by thunder_chunky

Ramen to that!!!!

image.jpeg
I don't see the problem with them, both parties agree to abide by the court.
Reply 22
Original post by swanderfeild
It is an entirely voluntary system between various people; so as long as its judgement do not contravene British laws (no chopping off hands or stoning for instance), every one involved is involved voluntarily and with knowledge they have right to settle the issue in an actual court, and there is no evidence of coercion against any involved party (if there is any of these law enforcement should step in), where exactly is the problem?
If someone who absolutely believes in Islam is told by a "scholar" or imam that a certain course of action is the only one approved of by Allah, and that to consider a different way would be to reject Allah's wisdom, then it is not voluntary and there is coercion.
Original post by SuperHuman98

Im a muslim

Original post by SuperHuman98

and although I dont know much about sharia law.

Westernised muslims in a nutshell
Original post by Trapz99
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36738935

Although the court's rulings aren't legally binding, most Muslims will voluntarily accept its rulings. It gets its laws from the Quran, not Britain's laws.

Personally I think these council's should be banned, but what do you guys think?

I think banning them would be a detriment to our own liberalism. Maybe a better idea would be to try and make it far more challenging for the kinds of people who want their own Sharia courts to get into the country, although perhaps it's to late. If only they would find somewhere better suited for their lifestyles.

It is an entirely voluntary system between various people; so as long as its judgement do not contravene British laws (no chopping off hands or stoning for instance), every one involved is involved voluntarily and with knowledge they have right to settle the issue in an actual court, and there is no evidence of coercion against any involved party (if there is any of these law enforcement should step in), where exactly is the problem?

How do you know that many people don't feel pressured into it by their family and community? Some may even be coerced, you don't know what happens behind the scenes. I don't have an answer on whether they should be legal or not, but a problem one might consider is that they further seperate Muslims from the rest of society, and they may make it extra difficult for some individuals to break away from the world they live in.
This thread is a minefield :hmmmm2:
Reply 26
So long as they don't govern me in ny way/shape/form I couldn't really care less. If the Islamic community want to play at court thats there look out, so long as they're still liable to normal justice that is.
Original post by KingBradly
How do you know that many people don't feel pressured into it by their family and community? Some may even be coerced, you don't know what happens behind the scenes. I don't have an answer on whether they should be legal or not, but a problem one might consider is that they further seperate Muslims from the rest of society, and they may make it extra difficult for some individuals to break away from the world they live in.

I don't know; just like I don't know most people signing a contract aren't being coerced into it - however unless evidence of coercion exists, we assume there is none; if there is evidence of coercion there are legal remedies in place for that like there is for all voluntarily associations.
People being pressured into religion, and other such matters are for social services (in event of children), or law enforcement (if there's evidence of illegality), and are certainly valid issues but if someone wishes to voluntarily isolate themselves from rest of society, while operating within laws of the society, who are we to get in the way.
Original post by Trapz99
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36738935

Although the court's rulings aren't legally binding, most Muslims will voluntarily accept its rulings. It gets its laws from the Quran, not Britain's laws.

Personally I think these council's should be banned, but what do you guys think?

It's wrong, but you can't very well ban it. They are essentially going for advice, to hear an interpretation of the Quran and how it might pertain to their position.

Also, people representing us invited them into a multicultural society, by extension, we invited them to come here and do this, doesn't seem fair to turn around and tell them that we are now a uni-cultural society.
Original post by QE2
If someone who absolutely believes in Islam is told by a "scholar" or imam that a certain course of action is the only one approved of by Allah, and that to consider a different way would be to reject Allah's wisdom, then it is not voluntary and there is coercion.

Not necessarily, this assumes they don't have the mental faculties to realize their local Imam has only a subjective interpretation himself and is not the authority on the will of Allah or Mohammed. In an ideal world we would be able to provide Muslims with the tools to see this. This would be one way to remove the imaginary authority that Muslims believe these courts have. But then I guess this ignores the real world consequences of ignoring a pious Muslim.

This also brushes over the not so small point on whether it should be forced onto us under pain of violence to educate the Muslim demographics which nobody elected to bring here. It also brushes over the general consensus among Muslims that Islam does call for violence and intolerance. I fail to see any way to deal with the situation...
Original post by KingBradly
Some may even be coerced, you don't know what happens behind the scenes.

You think Muslims might threaten, and then follow through, with threats of violence against their own family for say;

-embracing their homosexuality
-refusing an arranged marriage
- marrying a non-Muslim...

Your insinuation is made in jest, surely, we have yet to see one act of violence that has anything to do with Islam anywhere in the world...ever. There is simply no precedence for such a claim. Until you can substantiate it, we should assume your racism has just gotten the better of you this night.
Original post by Trapz99

Why? They have the same standing as the ruling bodies of sports, clubs and associations. For example, if you play in the English hockey league and get a red card, you get a fine. And if you don't pay the fine you are excluded from playing. Nothing to do with UK law but everyone signs up to it and it makes the world a slightly better place.

I have a problem with Sharia taking precedence over mainstream law and being applied to all citizens of the UK but if Muslims want to abide by it, what business is that of mine?
however unless evidence of coercion exists, we assume there is none;

But there is evidence of coercion
Original post by BaconandSauce
But there is evidence of coercion

Then law enforcement, and cpa can take it up, and perpetrators can be charged in actual courts.
Reply 35
The worst thing about that for me was that at the end she said 'he would not respect a court of law'.... He would say what right have they to tell me how they live, but now I have asked the sharia council he will respect it. He is living over here but would not accept the law of the country, a fair and justified law, he should be deported and the sharia councils disbanded. These things should not be going on in our country they are not even legally allowed to nullify her marriage, and I doubt they would have done if the camera hadn't been there due to the rigid Muslim traditionalist's beliefs of male superiority and that she is his wife, his possession. I think the religion needs to be dragged into the real world and those who don't like it can go to the Muslim run countries, where there is fear, hunger and depression because of the ruling of their religion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending