The Student Room Group

Is it appropriate to ask what a guy does for a living...

should that not be one of the first things you ask? When is it ok to have that talk?

Scroll to see replies

is this for a date or what?
Reply 2
I think anytime is an appropriate time? If someone asked me what I do, I'd tell them.. Doesn't really bother me
Original post by Anonymous
is this for a date or what?

No asking for a date wasn't asked yet that's how new it is. Do you think you need to go on a date and have that talk there?
Original post by Barlow
I think anytime is an appropriate time? If someone asked me what I do, I'd tell them.. Doesn't really bother me

Oh sweet thought it would make a guy feel uncomfortable
It's a perfectly normal question lol, there's no right time for it, just ask him
Original post by xobeauty
No asking for a date wasn't asked yet that's how new it is. Do you think you need to go on a date and have that talk there?
no no, i just wanted to know but even if it is not its still not inappropriate.
Original post by Blondie987
It's a perfectly normal question lol, there's no right time for it, just ask him

It doesn't sound too gold digger ish?
It doesn't sound too gold digger ish?

Not at all, as long as you don't ask him how much he makes lol, it's something about him that would be of interest to most people meeting him, perfectly normal to ask
Seeing as your job can potentially define a lot of who you are, it's one of the first questions I'd ask a date.
Original post by hezzlington
Seeing as your job can potentially define a lot of who you are, it's one of the first questions I'd ask a date.

Aw that's not nice what if someone's 25 and still works at grocery store?
One of the many first questions to ask,I would say. Don't see anything wrong with asking*
should that not be one of the first things you ask? When is it ok to have that talk?

Surely you should be asking his name first? If I'd just met someone and that was the first question they'd asked me I'd be a bit put off
Aw that's not nice what if someone's 25 and still works at grocery store?

Beautiful, intelligent ambitious women don't tend to work in grocery stores so I probably won't have that problem.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Superficial gold digger types usually ask this pretty early on in an interaction, rather than taking an interest in you/the connection, but there are ways of asking without being quite so obvious/making it at least look like you're not just performing a box ticking exercise :scrooge:

that's essentially what a first date is though, a box ticking exercise.
I'd ask them as an icebreaker type question... its a pretty important part of that individual's life tbh
Beautiful, intelligent ambitious women don't tend to work in grocery stores so I probably won't have that problem.

I work at a supermarker so i guess I'm not an intelligent ambitious woman damn aha
Reply 17
Original post by queen-bee
One of the many first questions to ask,I would say

Original post by Foo.mp3
Superficial gold digger types usually ask this pretty early on in an interaction

:erm:

That's what I say but I'm always being told not to think that way. I don't wanna ask a dude and it turns out he has a *****y Job making him feel bad after.
Original post by RobML
:erm:

I'm sorry but asking what someone does for a living doesn't make one a gold digger,it's just a good way to get to know Abit more about the person,that's all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest