The Student Room Group

I can't be friends with people with mental issues?

Not discriminating but I find them hard to get on with or date. Is this my fault or theirs

The last guy I dated had bipolar, and he was impossible :s-smilie: I tried to be understanding but he was selfish and a downer. I also made a few close friends at uni most of who turned out to have depression, and it was a toxic group, I am a happy person but they were really rude and negative.

I know a hipster girl who claims to have OCD, borderline, depression and is always showing me the pills she takes and posting them on FB. I find her hard to deal with because she's either boasting showing off or moaning about how hard life is and she wants to die, and Im single but she flirts with everyone's boyfriends :lolwut:

Am I being too picky or have I just met the wrong people
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You've picked the wrong people
Original post by Millieconfused
Not discriminating but I find them hard to get on with or date. Is this my fault or theirs

The last guy I dated had bipolar, and he was impossible :s-smilie: I tried to be understanding but he was selfish and a downer. I also made a few close friends at uni most of who turned out to have depression, and it was a toxic group, I am a happy person but they were really rude and negative.

I know a hipster girl who claims to have OCD, borderline, depression and is always showing me the pills she takes and posting them on FB. I find her hard to deal with because she's either boasting showing off or moaning about how hard life is and she wants to die, and Im single but she flirts with everyone's boyfriends :lolwut:

Am I being too picky or have I just met the wrong people

True friends are there no matter what as everyone has their own problems
even if you look perfectly fine & healthy.

----> You ain't loyal enough to deserve friends. :shakecane:
Tiger Rag

I have a lot of friends though, and pretty much every one who's said they have MI I can't get on with :dontknow: I wasn't getting on with uni friends before I found out though

Original post by Anonymous

Why are you anonymous :rolleyes:
Tiger Rag

I have a lot of friends though, and pretty much every one who's said they have MI I can't get on with :dontknow: I wasn't getting on with uni friends before I found out though

Why are you anonymous :rolleyes:
or maybe they use their mental health problems as an excuse to be a dick around others. no ****, they live in the same world as everyone else so they gotta show respect

don't worry OP, there do exist someone with "difficulties" who accept and cope with it
Original post by shawn_o1
or maybe they use their mental health problems as an excuse to be a dick around others. no ****, they live in the same world as everyone else so they gotta show respect

don't worry OP, there do exist someone with "difficulties" who accept and cope with it

Possibly. The guy I dated I didn't even realise was bipolar though. I met his dad who took me to the side and told me. He was a dick in general.

Yeah Im sure loads arent like that :yep:
Possibly. The guy I dated I didn't even realise was bipolar though. I met his dad who took me to the side and told me. He was a dick in general.

Curious what did you think about his behaviour when you didn't know, that he was just an insensitive jerk or something? What sort of stuff did he use to do?

Im similar to you as in I can't and dont want to be friends with people who consistently exhibit signs of emotional instability, I can understand if they are a long standing friend and its out of character but not if it's a regular thing. Who on earth has the time or energy to deal with downers who drain the life out of you and bring nothing but drama in to your life, no thanks, id rather have fewer friends and spend more time doing things that make me happy.

Yeah Im sure loads arent like that :yep:

would you date someone who suffered from or is still suffering from an eating disorder? Do you count that as a mental illness?
I find it easier to relate to people who suffer from this kind of illness because I used to suffer from it too.*
would you date someone who suffered from or is still suffering from an eating disorder? Do you count that as a mental illness?
I find it easier to relate to people who suffer from this kind of illness because I used to suffer from it too.*

I've never had an ED or other mental illness, but I might date someone who used to suffer from one though.

abcde3237
Curious what did you think about his behaviour when you didn't know, that he was just an insensitive jerk or something? What sort of stuff did he use to do?

Im similar to you as in I can't and dont want to be friends with people who consistently exhibit signs of emotional instability, I can understand if they are a long standing friend and its out of character but not if it's a regular thing. Who on earth has the time or energy to deal with downers who drain the life out of you and bring nothing but drama in to your life, no thanks, id rather have fewer friends and spend more time doing things that make me happy.

Stuff like make rude remarks about me working too hard at my part time job when I needed the money to live off, or be really friendly with other girls (to the point of discussing which female celebs they found hot!) but when I was talking to other guys normally he'd always come and interrupt the conversation and be a dick to them. His friends said he was eccentric but I think he was nasty. He was rude to them too sometimes, a lot of them were negative people though. I wasn't sure if he was just stressed because he was in medical school

Yeah, I've worked hard to get a decent job after uni, etc. I don't like people who are passive aggressive at me all the time like my uni friends were.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you aren't mentally ill, then you won't understand what it's like to be and why people behave the way they do (unless you're a trained psychologist or something). So do yourself and them a favour and stop trying to be friends with/pursue them. It'll make you happier.
It's a lot of hard work, and if they are constantly like that, how can you connect or have fun?

I'd probably try to avoid anyone who seemed emotionally unstable too,
on the other hand, it's not fair to immediately judge someone as undesirable as soon as they tell you they're dealing with some mental issues.
Original post by shawn_o1

I've met people like this. Apparently, having mental health issues is an excuse to be a dick and it can't possibly be their fault at all, ever.
I've never had an ED or other mental illness, but I might date someone who used to suffer from one though.

Stuff like make rude remarks about me working too hard at my part time job when I needed the money to live off, or be really friendly with other girls (to the point of discussing which female celebs they found hot!) but when I was talking to other guys normally he'd always come and interrupt the conversation and be a dick to them. His friends said he was eccentric but I think he was nasty. He was rude to them too sometimes, a lot of them were negative people though. I wasn't sure if he was just stressed because he was in medical school

Yeah, I've worked hard to get a decent job after uni, etc. I don't like people who are passive aggressive at me all the time like my uni friends were.

sounds exactly like someone i knew, also a medical studnt, maybe its the same guy o.O which uni was it?

was he a well liked person in general or did many people think he was a dick?

(sorry, veering a bit off topic here)
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
It's a lot of hard work, and if they are constantly like that, how can you connect or have fun?

I'd probably try to avoid anyone who seemed emotionally unstable too,
on the other hand, it's not fair to immediately judge someone as undesirable as soon as they tell you they're dealing with some mental issues.

I found out they had MH issues after we started being friends/dating :yep: Unfortunately it seems to correlate with emotional instability. It cant be easy having that but its not easy being friends with someone like that too :frown:

Tiger Rag
I've met people like this. Apparently, having mental health issues is an excuse to be a dick and it can't possibly be their fault at all, ever.

The girl I mentioned above is like that. I'm not even one of her closest mates but every time she meets me she complains about how hard her life is, but shes also boasting about how she's partying all the time etc. (her boyfriend supports her as she doesn't have a job) So I don't know if she wants sympathy or :confused:
There are many different types of mental disorders, and guess what, there are many people who suffer from mental disorders yet they keep this to themselves (I am one of these people). I have come across many people who treat others like **** and blame it on their disorder, which is just unacceptable. If they are able to function adequately on a day to day basis then they can't just blame all of their actions on the disorder. I have also come across people who use mental disorders as a way to seek attention (even though they have not went to see a doctor and be diagnosed with the disorder, they just claim to have all the symptoms). Are people who go around, telling everyone they want to die, really suicidal? From my own experience I have noticed that those who are truly suicidal, keep it to themselves, as they do not want to be helped. Those who tell everyone they want to die mainly do it for attention. I've came across many people like that, ones who would even fake the fact that they are missing, pretend someone found their phone and text their friends as if they were someone else, to get attention. When the truth comes out they throw a tantrum. People who suffer from mental disorders, and are aware of it, tend to get help. This way, even though the disorder still affects them, they have no need to blame every single one of their actions on the disorder. I'd say you have just ended up with the wrong group of people, people who want attention and tend to guilt trip others.
I found out they had MH issues after we started being friends/dating :yep: Unfortunately it seems to correlate with emotional instability. It cant be easy having that but its not easy being friends with someone like that too :frown:

The girl I mentioned above is like that. I'm not even one of her closest mates but every time she meets me she complains about how hard her life is, but shes also boasting about how she's partying all the time etc. (her boyfriend supports her as she doesn't have a job) So I don't know if she wants sympathy or :confused:

Especially with dating, spending so much time with someone who is in such a bad place will drag you down too eventually.

I think, If they are willing and are showing signs of improvement, it's not nearly as bad, but when they've given up hope and are stuck in a cycle, where they won't listen to any advice or anything, it's best just to leave them be.
Sorry to hear about your friend :console: Very true, I don't think everyone who says they have a mental issue is turning it into a drama also. My ex boyfriend didn't even tell me though he was proud of his reputation as being a weird guy. His parents spoiled him rotten but his dad especially was really emotionally distant so I guess that rubbed off on him too.

abcde3237
sounds exactly like someone i knew, also a medical studnt, maybe its the same guy o.O which uni was it?

was he a well liked person in general or did many people think he was a ****?
(sorry, veering a bit off topic here)

Warwick, he was on the graduate course so a bit older than me. He had a lot of "acquaintances" because he was good at theatre, but not many really close friends. His close friends were negative, I didn't like them. I met his family a few times and they were really proud of being non conformist if you know what I mean, his mum was a professor and really arrogant too and his dad was an artist.
There are many different types of mental disorders, and guess what, there are many people who suffer from mental disorders yet they keep this to themselves (I am one of these people). I have come across many people who treat others like **** and blame it on their disorder, which is just unacceptable. If they are able to function adequately on a day to day basis then they can't just blame all of their actions on the disorder. I have also come across people who use mental disorders as a way to seek attention (even though they have not went to see a doctor and be diagnosed with the disorder, they just claim to have all the symptoms). Are people who go around, telling everyone they want to die, really suicidal? From my own experience I have noticed that those who are truly suicidal, keep it to themselves, as they do not want to be helped. Those who tell everyone they want to die mainly do it for attention. I've came across many people like that, ones who would even fake the fact that they are missing, pretend someone found their phone and text their friends as if they were someone else, to get attention. When the truth comes out they throw a tantrum. People who suffer from mental disorders, and are aware of it, tend to get help. This way, even though the disorder still affects them, they have no need to blame every single one of their actions on the disorder. I'd say you have just ended up with the wrong group of people, people who want attention and tend to guilt trip others.

Good post :smile:although I think some people say they are suicidal as a cry for help, its not just attention seeking :dontknow:

Also I know the NHS is **** at treating MH problems. My ex's dad actually told me he went to see the doctor about it and got talking therapy. But (maybe because he was in medical school himself) he didn't go for long
Reply 19
Like Tiger Rag said, you're choosing the wrong people. Not everyone with MH issues is attention seeking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending