The Student Room Group

University Courses

Does anyone know what it's called when you're doing a degree but then move to a different course for a year and then return to your original course after that year is up?

I really really want to do Medicine at uni but I also really want to do Chemistry, so I was hoping for one of these type situations if at all possible anywhere in this country.
Original post by Kienzan
Does anyone know what it's called when you're doing a degree but then move to a different course for a year and then return to your original course after that year is up?

I really really want to do Medicine at uni but I also really want to do Chemistry, so I was hoping for one of these type situations if at all possible anywhere in this country.

That's called intercallating i believe. I'll move this to the medicine section where someone more knowledgeable should be able to help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
That's called intercallating i believe. I'll move this to the medicine section where someone more knowledgeable should be able to help :smile:

Thank you for this.
Does anyone know anywhere I can intercallate from medicine to chemistry for a year, or if this is possible at all for a degree like medicine?
Reply 3
Original post by Kienzan
Thank you for this.
Does anyone know anywhere I can intercallate from medicine to chemistry for a year, or if this is possible at all for a degree like medicine?

Medicine is very unique because it allows you to take a year out to do the last year of another degree (and then graduate with the whole degree) - this is called 'intercalation'. No other degree* lets you do this (it would be the equivalent usually of a year abroad, or a year in industry). What kind of chemistry are you interested in? It's unlikely you'll be able to intercalate into pure chemistry - medicine doesn't teach you enough basic stuff to fill in the gaps for the first two years. Intercalation into something a bit more medical related (which I presume would be your interest, rather than something like petroleum or something) that has a chemistry slant is possible and common, stuff such as biochemistry or medicinal chemistry (drugs).

When you apply to medicine, just make sure the courses you apply to permit intercalation (most do).

* Dentists and vets can intercalate as well.
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply.
I was actually hoping to spend a year doing pure chemistry, but I guess something like medicinal chemistry would be the best option.
To clarify, after the intercallation year, I would still get a full degree in Medicine, wouldn't I? And would be able to continue a degree in medicine as usual?
Reply 5
Original post by Kienzan
Thank you for your reply.
I was actually hoping to spend a year doing pure chemistry, but I guess something like medicinal chemistry would be the best option.
To clarify, after the intercallation year, I would still get a full degree in Medicine, wouldn't I? And would be able to continue a degree in medicine as usual?

Yeh. What happens is that you take a year out, intercalate another degree (either a masters degree, which is one year normally anyway or the last year of a 3-year undergraduate degree, after which you graduate with the whole BSc/BA), and then go back into medicine.

For example, if you intercalate after your 2nd year of medicine, you will then go back into the 3rd year after completing a year in another degree. At Newcastle, we do it after 4th year and then go back into final year (after doing a masters degree). It extends your course by a year - but you get 2 degrees (medicine and another).
Reply 6
Ah, that clears things up. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending