The Student Room Group

I'm no Tory, but their leadership contest shows up Labour as pathetic amateurs

It was brutal, it was decisive, it was spectacularly quick. Cameron hasn't even got a place to go live to as his home is being rented out. He is moving to his constituency house on Wednesday.

That is how a serious political party changes its leader, to ensure the country gets a new PM and Cabinet.

Compare that to the shambles that is Labour. They are not fit to govern, it is as simple as that.

Piss up and brewery come to mind. I they can't even decide who is going to lead them, how can the country trust them in a time of maximum turmoil and danger?

It must be tempting for May to call a quick GE and wipe Labour out, but the country can't stand the delay and continued uncertainty. We need stability now.

Luckily for them. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Except that the Conservative party have created havoc and uncertainty by calling (and losing) and EU referendum to try and solve internal party politics. They didn't come up with a plan for if the UK voted to leave, to the point where they are 'winging it'. And their own leader stood down, after saying he would remain the PM regardless of the result. Their heavy-weight politicians are bruised and discredited, have attacked each other and have backtracked on campaign pledges.

And far from being the 'defenders of the union' as they constantly claim, the union has never been more at risk.

Except for that, yes, I'm sure they are a 'serious' political party.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by david9640
Except that the Conservative party have created havoc and uncertainty by calling (and losing) and EU referendum to try and solve internal party politics. They didn't come up with a plan for if the UK voted to leave, to the point where they are 'winging it'. And their own leader stood down, after saying he would remain the PM regardless of the result. Their heavy-weight politicians are bruised and discredited, have attacked each other and have backtracked on campaign pledges.

And far from being the 'defenders of the union' as they constantly claim, the union has never been more at risk.

All of this and they still make Labour - in its current form - look like an absolute shambles in comparison...........
Reply 3

They are running the country. And will do so during the most important period for our nation for decades.
After which all the political issues we now obsess about will be ancient history. That is the exercise of political power.

As for Scotland, are you for freaking real??

The reason they may leave is that Labour, the so called Unionist Party north of the border went from forty one seats to one at the last election. Didn't you notice?

So you tell me, how do YOU define politically "serious"?

A vote to preserve "safe spaces" in your uni campus at the student union?

From Jeremy Corbyn to the NUS...

What a TOTAL joke the whole political left is, from top to bottom...

Pointless.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
To think 60,000 people joined the party last week is incredible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that doesn't invalidate General Lee's point. The Conservatives were a ruthless election winning machine until they lost their way in 1997. It looks as though this is back.
Reply 6
Labour had the chance to divide the conservatives and take advantage of their existing divisions like they did from the 90's which subsequently led to a close election victory in 92 then a landslide in 97, I'm just appalled the Labour Party thinks democracy is listening to its 200k far left members but forget the other members, forget your democratically elected MPs, MEPs and councillors and the electorate becusse Corbyn has a mandate from 200k left wingers!!1!

I think this is the worst part, Corbyn supported Kinnock not automatically being on the ballot but thinks he himself should be, when the Labour Party removed the Electoral college and moved to a 1 person - 1 vote system they diminished the importance of MPs but this was supposed to be covered by the fact MPs chose the candidate, so it's like the electoral college was separated into stages, MPs select, members decide.

I honestly think if labour lost an election by miles, Corbyn still wouldn't resign. The party members who vote Corbyn seem to think their 200k mandate to Corbyn means that MPs don't have a mandate, they even call for the deselection of MPs in the name of democracy???? How is that democratic? How do people even think Corbyn is electable? How do they believe in his communist policies?

Call me a blairite or brownist or whatever, I like to call myself a person who sees it as it is. Put foreign policy aside (although new labour did many successful foreign policies especially in the wake of the financial crisis) but New Labours domestic policy was amazing, sustained and high economic growth from 97-07, stable inflation, improved education, improved healthcare with the NHS at an all time high rating, a hugely increased middle class, the minimum wage, improved civil rights, significantly reduced child poverty and poverty in general, the list goes on but they embrace none of it, they say none of it was good enough, even the tories are more proud and appreciative of what New Labour accomplished.
Reply 7
Original post by KimKallstrom
All of this and they still make Labour - in its current form - look like an absolute shambles in comparison...........

Because they are. Labour provide no effective opposition, the only effective opposition we've had is from the conservative civil war but Corbyn thinks he can get away with taking credit for it
Original post by generallee
They are running the country. And will do so during the most important period for our nation for decades.
After which all the political issues we now obsess about will be ancient history. That is the exercise of political power.

As for Scotland, are you for freaking real??

The reason they may leave is that Labour, the so called Unionist Party north of the border went from forty one seats to one at the last election. Didn't you notice?

So you tell me, how do YOU define politically "serious"?

A vote to preserve "safe spaces" in your uni campus at the student union?

From Jeremy Corbyn to the NUS...

What a TOTAL joke the whole political left is, from top to bottom...

Pointless.

Brilliant post, completely agree.
Original post by Pulse.
To think 60,000 people joined the party last week is incredible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, 60,000 crazies and what I believe are family members and friends joining the party on behalf of other friends and family members, giving 1 party member 3 or 4 actual votes.
Asked how she would defeat Theresa May, now just days away from becoming Prime Minister, Angela Eagle responded “because she’s a Tory”.

Unbelievable
Original post by tripleseven
Asked how she would defeat Theresa May, now just days away from becoming Prime Minister, Angela Eagle responded “because she’s a Tory”.

Unbelievable

She has also already began to play the women's card.
It's not just that they can't decide who they want as leader, they can't even agree on the rules under which the leadership contest will be run. With Corbyn threaten to sue the party if he's not on the list of contenders the party is a laughing stock and such a gift to May. Cameron should be sticking the knife in tomorrow and go out on a high.
Original post by generallee

That is how a serious political party changes its leader, to ensure the country gets a new PM and Cabinet.

I'm not convinced. I see it as the rats fleeing a sinking ship. No one wants to take responsibility. Thankfully a fall guy in the form of Theresa May has stepped up to the plate. Watch how everyone now stands behind her looking up as the swords of Damocles hang over her head. She can't win and everyone knows it.
Original post by ByEeek
I'm not convinced. I see it as the rats fleeing a sinking ship. No one wants to take responsibility. Thankfully a fall guy in the form of Theresa May has stepped up to the plate. Watch how everyone now stands behind her looking up as the swords of Damocles hang over her head. She can't win and everyone knows it.

Are you for real?

Far from being a "fall guy" she has been scheming to take over the job for months. That is why she said nothing during the referendum debate.

As for everyone knowing that she can't win, that is just persiflage and piffle. No-one can see the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending