The Student Room Group

How's this for A-Levels to get into Cambridge or LSE?

Hi,

I'll be doing these a-levels at sixth form and I just would like TSR's opinion on if they're good enough to get into either Cambridge or LSE to study Economics as BA for Cambridge or BSC at LSE.

Here are the A-Levels:

Maths
Economics
History.

Of course I know that the grades matter, so let's say, for the purpose here, that I got 2 A* and an A. Would it be enough to get into these Uni's? Or what else would I need to do including extra curricular things?

Please advise,

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Yeah nothing wrong with your subjects. You obviously need extra curricular, maybe try and relate it to the subject you're interested in studying. If your school offers EPQ do that. When it gets closer to applying to uni read up extra on your subject that you want to study. For example I want to study linguistics so I read a book on language and talked about it in my personal statement.
The subjects are fine w/ History and maths considered strong subjects. For extra curricular actives, they only really care about suff related to the subject you want to study, no idea what that would be for economics. Maybe shadow a banker for a day, I have no idea.

Also, most people that go to Cambridge and to do math-y subject [like economics], while it's not required, do further maths as well.
Further maths will be useful for applying to those unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The1AndOnly1
Hi,

I'll be doing these a-levels at sixth form and I just would like TSR's opinion on if they're good enough to get into either Cambridge or LSE to study Economics as BA for Cambridge or BSC at LSE.

Here are the A-Levels:

Maths
Economics
History.

Of course I know that the grades matter, so let's say, for the purpose here, that I got 2 A* and an A. Would it be enough to get into these Uni's? Or what else would I need to do including extra curricular things?

Please advise,

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read up on the entry requirements of all the unis in which you are interested. For example:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/economics.aspx
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/DegreeProgrammes2017/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx

As you can see, LSE require A*AA and Cambridge want A*A*A. In addition, studying Further Maths would seem to be an advantage.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ageshallnot
Read up on the entry requirements of all the unis in which you are interested. For example:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/economics.aspx
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/DegreeProgrammes2017/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx

As you can see, LSE require A*AA and Cambridge want A*A*A. In addition, studying Further Maths would seem to be an advantage.

Hi,

I read up on this before choosing my a-levels but I was told due to the reform which is making a-levels harder this is likely to change (not the grades, suggestions like taking further maths as well as 3 other subjects) hence why I'm a bit confused... That and also I'll think I'll find the FM workload a bit too much...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I read up on this before choosing my a-levels but I was told due to the reform which is making a-levels harder this is likely to change (not the grades, suggestions like taking further maths as well as 3 other subjects) hence why I'm a bit confused... That and also I'll think I'll find the FM workload a bit too much...

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you are aware of the limits which subject choice imposes on you, that's fine.
Reply 7
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those suggestions will not change. If you can't cope with 4 A Levels, you won't cope with Cambridge.
They seem like they'd be okay - just do some extra curricular activities.
I know that Cambridge runs a history and English essay competition for year 12s (I know bc I entered) but maybe mix something to do with your subjects in with a sport.

For instance, I'm studying Literature, History and Classics - with an AS in Psychology; for extra curricular, I entered essay competitions, joined the 'student executives' at my college, and also did archery/dodgeball.
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
They seem like they'd be okay - just do some extra curricular activities.
I know that Cambridge runs a history and English essay competition for year 12s (I know bc I entered) but maybe mix something to do with your subjects in with a sport.

For instance, I'm studying Literature, History and Classics - with an AS in Psychology; for extra curricular, I entered essay competitions, joined the 'student executives' at my college, and also did archery/dodgeball.

Oxbridge has no interest in extra-curricular activities, unless directly connected with your subject.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Oxbridge has no interest in extra-curricular activities, unless directly connected with your subject.

Fair enough :smile: (Was only trying to remember what I was told at the Oxbridge conference thing I went to in March)
Fair enough :smile: (Was only trying to remember what I was told at the Oxbridge conference thing I went to in March)

If that is what you were told, it goes against all the advice given by Oxbridge admissions elsewhere. I will summon our Oxbridge genie who will be able to link some relevant information.
@jneill
Reply 12

If that is what you were told, it goes against all the advice given by Oxbridge admissions elsewhere. I will summon our Oxbridge genie who will be able to link some relevant information.
@jneill

@jneill

Thanks for the tag!

Yup CLR is correct - non-relevant extra-curriculars are of NO interest to Oxbridge. The very most important thing is your academic credentials.

Entering a college essay competition is all well and good especially if it's connected to your intended course. But even that is absolutely no guarantee of an offer. Do it because you want to, that's the only reason.

And DoE or archery or captain of hockey or being head girl really is of no relevance at all (that's not to say they aren't valued for your own personal life experience - just not relevant for Cambridge or Oxford).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
seems good to me, just focus on getting good grades :smile:
Original post by jneill
Thanks for the tag!

Yup CLR is correct - non-relevant extra-curriculars are of NO interest to Oxbridge. The very most important thing is your academic credentials.

Entering a college essay competition is all well and good especially if it's connected to your intended course. But even that is absolutely no guarantee of an offer. Do it because you want to, that's the only reason.

And DoE or archery or captain of hockey or being head girl really is of no relevance at all (that's not to say they aren't valued for your own personal life experience - just not relevant for Cambridge or Oxford).

Ok but what about my a-level choices? If I get the grade for them is it worth it. And for economics would say running a business and owning an e-commerce website/blog help?

Please advise thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Ok but what about my a-level choices? If I get the grade for them is it worth it. And for economics would say running a business and owning an e-commerce website/blog help?

Please advise thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your choices are fine except that, and as others have said, most applicants will have FM.

You will need to be comfortably on target for A*A*A. It's an extremely competitive (and maths-heavy) course at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Your choices are fine except that and as others have said most applicants will have FM.

You will need to be comfortably on target for A*A*A. It's an extremely competitive (and maths-heavy) course at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok awesome. What about saying things like I own an e-commerce business, manage another business, trade stocks, and also many other not directed extra curricular stuff help me look more attractive for LSE?

Please advise,

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Ok awesome. What about saying things like I own an e-commerce business, manage another business, trade stocks, and also many other not directed extra curricular stuff help me look more attractive for LSE?

Please advise,

Thanks!

FM would be more useful than any of that.
Original post by jneill
FM would be more useful than any of that.

Hi,

I understand that FM would be more useful of course but I can't do FM for the following:

My sixth form are not allowing me to do 4 a-levels, even though my GCSE grades are really credible.

I really like to do things I'm interested in, and I like maths but 20 hours a week of maths just seems a but unattractive to me...

But will what I am doing in the previous post help? Is it related?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Hi,

I understand that FM would be more useful of course but I can't do FM for the following:

My sixth form are not allowing me to do 4 a-levels, even though my GCSE grades are really credible.

I really like to do things I'm interested in, and I like maths but 20 hours a week of maths just seems a but unattractive to me...

But will what I am doing in the previous post help? Is it related?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what if your Sixth Form wont let you? Self study for it.

And if 20 hours of maths a week is too much for you, don't apply to Cambridge or LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending