The Student Room Group

Applying directly to second year

Hello,

I'm about to start uni this autumn and I'll be studying Media and Culture. However, I want to switch universities next year. I'm thinking specifically about applying to Goldsmiths or Birkbeck to study History of Art.
Is it possible to apply for second year or do I have to start again from the first?
Thank you in advance. :smile:
Original post by imblick09
Hello,

I'm about to start uni this autumn and I'll be studying Media and Culture. However, I want to switch universities next year. I'm thinking specifically about applying to Goldsmiths or Birkbeck to study History of Art.
Is it possible to apply for second year or do I have to start again from the first?

Transferring into second year is only possible if the course content from both courses is compatible.

Why haven't you applied to start the first year at these universities this year if that's what you want to study?
Reply 2
Hello,

Beware that if you don't meet th entry requirements now, then you're unlikely to be considered by Goldsmiths unless you completely ace your first year and get top notch academic references from your first uni. As Goldsmiths is very well known and the courses usually quite busy, maybe not even then.

Birkbeck are pretty flexible with entry requirements. Any reason you didn't apply there to start with? If you have already tried and been rejected, then there's little point applying again.

Unis aren't daft - they can spot someone with disappointing A Level grades trying to 'trade up' after a first year elsewhere and they rarely look on it kindly.*
(edited 7 years ago)
" As Goldsmiths is very well known "

I completely disagree with this. As for the OP, if your course is compatible and you've done well ( say good 2.1) and they have spaces (check if they were in clearing year before you want to enter ) then I'm confident they will consider you.

Of course unis want to fill up their courses as much as possible, they don't say so in public to save face obviously and they have many of their cheerleaders on forum trying to perpetuate this.

Put your case directly to them, discreetly if I were you.
Reply 4
Original post by Zenomorph
" As Goldsmiths is very well known "

I completely disagree with this.

It has produced 7 Turner Prize winners and was the home of the YBA movement. Damien Hirst & co. It's one of the top art institutes in the UK and is very well known globally. Disagreement is incorrect. It likes a maverick though. Still think the chances of getting in are slim with a second bite of the UCAS cherry, but what's to lose trying? Wouldn't pin hopes on it.
Reply 5
Hello,

You can only apply for a second year if it is the same course and/or the modules are compatible (that is mostly the same ones).

If you want to go to a different uni, why haven't you applied for this year's entry? You could also take a gap year instead. Work and save up some money then go straight into Goldsmiths or Birkbeck
Hello,

Hi OP

Yes, it is entirely possible, in fact that is what I'm in the process of doing right now. You would have to contact the head of the department you're interested in studying and request a direct transfer. They will ask you to confirm if the modules you have studied match the ones on their course. They will also probably ask for a first year transcript
Reply 7
Worth noting that the BA History of Art at Goldsmiths is not in Clearing this year - they don't currently need additional students in what would be your planned cohort. You would be reliant on people dropping out before you apply next year, and then on other transfer applicants being less attractive than you.

As a point of technicality, I can't imagine how the first year of a Media & Culture degree would provide the type of foundation you'd need to enter a History of Art degree in the second year.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest