The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lyamlim97
I got 6(2 sinx cosx cos(2x+1) - 2sin^2x sin(2x+1) ^2

No idea whether its correct or not

Got the same thing but I tried this detivative calculator a few mins ago and I think I got a different answer will check again

Also could 2sinxcosx simplify to sin2x
Because sin(A+B)=sinAcosB+cosAsinB
Reply 81
Original post by NatoHeadshot
Got the same thing but I tried this detivative calculator a few mins ago and I think I got a different answer will check again

Alright.
Yeap, double angle formula. Its in CIE Maths P3 which is what i do so i see it almost all the time

Original post by lyamlim97
Alright.
Yeap, double angle formula. Its in CIE Maths P3 which is what i do so i see it almost all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 83
Is any board fine or do you prefer AQA :tongue:

I only used AQA when revising, mainly because that's the board that was used in my A Levels. Everything you need to revise for the Physics section is on AQA (except for lunar eclipses etc.) :smile:
Reply 84
Could someone differeniate 2(sin^2xcos(2x+1))^3 wanna compare with my answer

Here is my solution -

IMG_20160711_153425.jpg

tangotangopapa2's solution is also perfectly correct :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Thanks a lot. Really short and simple. Is that all we need to learn?

If not, I would have banged my head with zener effect, avalanche effect, doping, transistors, logic gates and what not.

Really appreciate it.

No problem at all! Lol don't worry I seriously doubt that stuff will come up! Oxford stick to the spec very well and if something that isn't on it does come up, they will provide you with the necessary information to complete the question :smile:
Reply 86
:colondollar: Yes.

:confused: Need to learn almost everything in maths section, especially curve sketching.

For curve sketching, check out this -

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=patrickjmt+asymptotes

These videos show you really quick ways to determine the various types of asymptotes :smile:
Original post by PhyM23
Here is my solution -

IMG_20160711_153425.jpg

tangotangopapa2's solution is also perfectly correct :smile:

6(2 sinx cosx cos(2x+1) - 2sin^2x sin(2x+1) ^2? is that fine too? like if we left it at that :tongue:?
Reply 88
6(2 sinx cosx cos(2x+1) - 2sin^2x sin(2x+1) ^2? is that fine too? like if we left it at that :tongue:?

Would you mind showing me your working? :smile:
Sorry for the mess, I did it really roughly image.jpg
Original post by PhyM23
Would you mind showing me your working? :smile:
Original post by PhyM23
I only used AQA when revising, mainly because that's the board that was used in my A Levels. Everything you need to revise for the Physics section is on AQA (except for lunar eclipses etc.) :smile:

Oh and yes, I almost completely forgot about lunar eclipses and phases of moon. Would you mind if I asked where you learnt those from?

Original post by PhyM23
For curve sketching, check out this -

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=patrickjmt+asymptotes

These videos show you really quick ways to determine the various types of asymptotes :smile:

Thanks a lot. I went through some of his videos and they were really helpful. I also looked at his rational inequalities (you were talking about) videos. Very helpful.

I also found this: http://faculty.uml.edu/rbrent/131/LF/Lect26.pdf
This sheet has some functions (e.g x e^-x , x^2 times ln x) which I was hungrily looking for.
Sorry for the mess, I did it really roughly image.jpg

You need to begin by using chain rule to this function : 2 z^3 and get 6z^2 times dz/dx (I believe you have missed / misinterpreted this step. Correct me if I am wrong)
and then use product rule to find dz/dx (which you have found correctly but you wrote your answer as 6 times (dz/dx)^2).
Reply 92
Oh and yes, I almost completely forgot about lunar eclipses and phases of moon. Would you mind if I asked where you learnt those from?

Thanks a lot. I went through some of his videos and they were really helpful. I also looked at his rational inequalities (you were talking about) videos. Very helpful.

I also found this: http://faculty.uml.edu/rbrent/131/LF/Lect26.pdf
This sheet has some functions (e.g x e^-x , x^2 times ln x) which I was hungrily looking for.

I literally just looked at a picture of the phases of the Moon. However I would urge you to look at problems involving determining distances between the Sun and the Moon etc. during eclipses etc. One came up last year and caught me off guard a little!

You're very welcome. I agree they are incredibly helpful!

Those sheets for sketching graphs look really helpful! They are important functions to know how to sketch for the PAT.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 93
Sorry for the mess, I did it really roughly

As stated above, this question includes both the chain rule and the product rule. So you differentiate the whole bracket (bring the power down and decrease by one) then use the product rule on the inner part and multiply it with your initial differential :smile:
Original post by PhyM23
I literally just looked at a picture of the phases of the Moon. However I would urge you to look at problems involving determining distances between the Sun and the Moon etc. during eclipses etc. One came up last year and caught me off guard a little!

You're very welcome. I agree they are incredibly helpful!

Those sheets for sketching graphs look really helpful! They are important functions to know how to sketch for the PAT.

I am sorry to pester you but what do you use to view pdf files? I mean I will get old zooming in and zooming out this sheet : http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/standard_topics/various/curve_sketching_exam_questions.pdf

The figures are extremely small.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PhyM23
As stated above, this question includes both the chain rule and the product rule. So you differentiate the whole bracket (bring the power down and decrease by one) then use the product rule on the inner part and multiply it with your initial differential :smile:

image.jpgMy mistake! I sent the wrong answer I had the right answer on the next page I did this question days ago so I flipped to the wrong page
Clumsy me!
HAHHA this is why ill mess up the PAT
Reply 96
I am sorry to pester you but what do you use to view pdf files? I mean I will get old zooming in and zooming out this sheet : http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/standard_topics/various/curve_sketching_exam_questions.pdf

The figures are extremely small.

It's totally fine! Are you talking about the worked solutions? I'm afraid you have to zoom in to see them. In terms of what I use to view them I don't know lol. It's just the one that comes up when I click on it (it opens as a new tab on Google Chrome)
Reply 97
image.jpgMy mistake! I sent the wrong answer I had the right answer on the next page I did this question days ago so I flipped to the wrong page
Clumsy me!
HAHHA this is why ill mess up the PAT

Haha :biggrin: happens to all of us!

Don't worry you won't mess up!

In terms of your answer it is correct, however the minus has disappeared from the -2sin(2x+1) in your final answer. This is clearly a typo though as you included the minus above it :smile:
Original post by PhyM23
Haha :biggrin: happens to all of us!

Don't worry you won't mess up!

In terms of your answer it is correct, however the minus has disappeared from the -2sin(2x+1) in your final answer. This is clearly a typo though as you included the minus above it :smile:

yup it was a typo thanks! You've been so helpful. What are you up to lately?
Reply 99
yup it was a typo thanks! You've been so helpful. What are you up to lately?

It's my pleasure :smile:

To be honest I've been mainly relaxing after 2 tiring years of A Levels haha :biggrin: I'm also going to spend a lot of time with friends and family. As the holiday progresses I plan on going through maths/physics problems and dipping into first year stuff so i don't go totally brain dead haha.

What are you doing during the holidays? Has your term finished yet? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending