The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60

Found the liberal arts grad
Original post by 0to100
Tanya what do you mean significant minority? I'm sure you can google a stat that shows a single digit percentage of grad unemployment and I agree that going to Uni is miles better than not, conceptually, but the reality is that behind that possibly "insignificant" percentage of grad unemployment is 100s of 1000s if not millions of unemployed people, grads or not. Something is scarily wrong there.

And princie adding to what I said to tanya just now, how do you know the majority or a significant amount of grads won't be working somewhere they're overqualified to work because it's currently all they can get, in their industry or their area?...Also, grads is a vague term. Specifically people graduating from whatever they've studied--unless you already have or are willing to research (not retrieve google links who claim to have conveniently done it, but actually research yourself)--which degree studies among all grads encounter unemployment the most. Maybe that can being to introduce you to the reality, dunno.

I dunno dude. Just trying to offer some consolation to people who are afraid that doing what they love will jeopardise their future prospects because, chances are, you won't end up unemployed. I don't really think about this too much because personally to be an engineer I have to do an engineering degree and I'm just rolling with it.
Original post by tanyapotter
I dunno dude. Just trying to offer some consolation to people who are afraid that doing what they love will jeopardise their future prospects because, chances are, you won't end up unemployed. I don't really think about this too much because personally to be an engineer I have to do an engineering degree and I'm just rolling with it.

For very practical stuff like engineering they can't let just any joe in there or all the planes will crash lol so I get that but I partly understand that many degrees even as I think prince said don't even lead to work! lol but then he says there's irrelevant unemployment with grads. Scratching my head deep there...
Original post by 0to100
For very practical stuff like engineering they can't let just any joe in there or all the planes will crash lol so I get that but I partly understand that many degrees even as I think prince said don't even lead to work! lol but then he says there's irrelevant unemployment with grads. Scratching my head deep there...

Never said irrelevant unemployment. I said most degrees don't lead to a specific job but graduates overwhelmingly still work in graduate level jobs despite this. Unemployment levels for grads are like 5-7%, nothing distressing in the slightest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I didn't know what I wanted to be ( a teacher ) then I would probably still go to uni anyways cause of how much you'd learn through living away from home ect and the opportunities with societies and everything so I can't blame the appeal even if the subject seems pointless - it's more likely to help than hinder your career prospects
Original post by Princepieman
Most degrees don't lead to specific careers.. Most (70-80%) grad jobs don't even require a specific degree. So I'm afraid your assertion doesn't stand.

I'd change it to: 'do what you want but be career conscious whilst at uni'

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd argue most degrees are a waste of time and money. And how good are those grad jobs? Better than ones asking for business qualifications? I doubt it.

Lucky for you, most people are able to choose something they both love and can make a good career out of.

Say that to all the students doing BA's.
Original post by geoking
I'd argue most degrees are a waste of time and money. And how good are those grad jobs? Better than ones asking for business qualifications? I doubt it.

Say that to all the students doing BA's.

I think the students at Cambridge doing their Mathematics BA would beg to differ..
Original post by geoking

Pretty good, considering a lot of employers pay for these business qualifications you revere so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends if you get what you want out of it, and I hope everyone does get what they want from life, wish you all the best, :smile:
I don't think it is a waste of time, unless you're extremely rich and well connected. It's easy to think like that when you're younger, but the truth is that a degree gives you a better chance to compete and move up in life. You get out of life what you put in. There are a lot of great opportunities at University, but as with anything else, you have to go out and seek them.

Plus, Uni teaches you important life skills, time management skills, and most importantly you learn how to self-study. These skills are essential if you want to have a well-paying job, run your own business, or even if you want to pursue new hobbies, and interests. So, the experience is just as important as the number (or classification) on the certificate.
Pretty good, considering a lot of employers pay for these business qualifications you revere so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hah. No they don't. Do you realise how expensive it is to do something like Prince2 or Six Sigma? Or how hard it is in most companies to get training? Talking about something you don't have experience of by any chance?
(edited 7 years ago)
I think the students at Cambridge doing their Mathematics BA would beg to differ..

And I think using fringe examples like that is ridiculous :rolleyes:
I would agree in terms of the specializations in studies. Studies which are too much focused on certain topics, so they are not extended in variation. Although those are a waste of time for myself, as I am interest in studies with great variations to widen my horizon in studies as much as possible. So this is just my view, not the one in general.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by geoking
Hah. No they don't. Do you realise how expensive it is to do something like Prince2 or Six Sigma? Or how hard it is in most companies to get training? Talking about something you don't have experience of by any chance?

Mom was an HR manager (at the council) with a network of HR folk across big, and small to medium size businesses. Most of them were willing to invest in training for new grad hires.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geoking
I'm not a job board.

And I'm not an encyclopaedia but if I make a claim I can back it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mom was an HR manager (at the council) with a network of HR folk across big, and small to medium size businesses. Most of them were willing to invest in training for new grad hires.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what does "invest in training" actually mean? That can be anything from buying a book to shelling out the £10k+ it takes to do some of the training...
Original post by geoking
And I think using fringe examples like that is ridiculous :rolleyes:

Well, don't say stupid things like "tell that to BA students" if you don't want to be called out and corrected. Your whole argument is ridiculous from the get-go. An LSE economist is hardly wasting their time, even though they're not studying a STEM subject. Equally, if someone wants to do Palliative Care at Wolverhampton University because they want to work at a hospice, they're not wasting their time either. And this is coming from a prospective engineer who is very aware that she could still end unemployed, despite doing a STEM degree from a target university: get over yourself.
Original post by 0to100
So ****ing true, I learned the hard way. Still the cost of higher education in UK and US, total ****ing sham.

I know it is crazy the cost of degrees! I'm from Northern Ireland and will do my degree here which is around £3950 a year but in England it's like £9000 - it is a ****ing sham!
Yeah I reckon you don't even need degrees you can learn most of the stuff on the job even for law and banking I reckon. Medicine and stuff of course you should have degrees but not for sociology etc. It's a total racket I agree, this whole education mantra. We should all get down to work and cracking on and learning the practical elements of the job rather than study an irrelevant subject for 3 years before working a grad scheme.
Original post by neal95
Yeah I reckon you don't even need degrees you can learn most of the stuff on the job even for law and banking I reckon. Medicine and stuff of course you should have degrees but not for sociology etc. It's a total racket I agree, this whole education mantra. We should all get down to work and cracking on and learning the practical elements of the job rather than study an irrelevant subject for 3 years before working a grad scheme.

Would prefer not having to deal with full time work directly after 13 years of school. University gives you the opportunity to learn life skills that are quite vital to performing at the level required for grad schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending