The Student Room Group

Is it appropriate to ask what a guy does for a living...

Scroll to see replies

Yeah thought so this question is really important to me though.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Superficial gold digger types usually ask this pretty early on in an interaction, rather than taking an interest in you/the connection, but there are ways of asking without being quite so obvious/making it at least look like you're not just performing a box ticking exercise :scrooge:
Reply 21
Original post by queen-bee
I'm sorry but asking what someone does for a living doesn't make one a gold digger,it's just a good way to get to know Abit more about the person,that's all :smile:

I have job now you know :wink:
Original post by RobML
I have job now you know :wink:

details details including earnings :mmm: I kid*
Of course it is! By asking a question like that, you get to know more about the person! :biggrin:

For this reason, it's something that I'd always be happy to answer! :yep:
Reply 24
Original post by queen-bee
details details including earnings :mmm: I kid*

Not sure yet. I'll let you know ASAP :wink:
The old guy I'm working for has a few famous connections from the world of literature.
Original post by Foo.mp3
You sound fun :yy:

Haha, good spot :top2:

Spoiler

care to elaborate what you mean by this? :gasp:
Original post by RobML
Not sure yet. I'll let you know ASAP :wink:
The old guy I'm working for has a few famous connections from the world of literature.

hahaha,ooooh nice! If you Cosy up to him,you could go places in life :wink:
Original post by fefssdf
I work at a supermarker so i guess I'm not an intelligent ambitious woman damn aha

Are you 25?
Original post by xobeauty
should that not be one of the first things you ask? When is it ok to have that talk?

I think it's completely fine to ask. It's a very standard conversation topic.
Original post by hezzlington
Are you 25?

18 but if i don't get into uni maybe I'll still be at the supermarket ahah
Original post by Foo.mp3
You sound fun :yy:

I am so fun. Please love me.
Original post by fefssdf
18 but if i don't get into uni maybe I'll still be at the supermarket ahah

Well, exactly? you're (hopefully) going to university which is ambitious :smile: You don't exactly plan to stay at the supermarket. I was specifically talking about girls my age.
Reply 32
Lol you can ask that but don't start off with

"How much do you earn? Do you get paid monthly or weekly? Are you up for promotion? How much have you saved? How much do you spend weekly? Would you spend money on your partner and how much? ....."

Other than that, like a normal person just ask "so what do you do?" :tongue:

:rofl:
Well, exactly? you're (hopefully) going to university which is ambitious :smile: You don't exactly plan to stay at the supermarket. I was specifically talking about girls my age.

ahh fair enough and i can kinda agree about people in retail in their mid 20's - i hope I'm not doing that
Original post by Foo.mp3
Superficial gold digger types usually ask this pretty early on in an interaction, rather than taking an interest in you/the connection, but there are ways of asking without being quite so obvious/making it at least look like you're not just performing a box ticking exercise :scrooge:

Really? I just see it as a usual ice breaker question. Where do you live? What do you do? etc. are a few of the usual questions that come up when people start interactions,

Beautiful, intelligent ambitious women don't tend to work in grocery stores so I probably won't have that problem.

What if they are working in the grocery store to save up for their Masters? How can you look at situations in such a simple way?
Original post by 99_Problems
Really? I just see it as a usual ice breaker question. Where do you live? What do you do? etc. are a few of the usual questions that come up when people start interactions,

What if they are working in the grocery store to save up for their Masters? How can you look at situations in such a simple way?

I'd question why they aren't going to apply for the non-means tested loan now available for masters students. If you have a degree, why are you working in a grocery store? Mundane office jobs are usually better paid and offer more stable, sociable hours. They also could slightly improve your soft skills and your ability to function in a professional working environment, compared to the skills a supermarket store job would provide you with.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd question why they aren't going to apply for the non-means tested loan now available for masters students. If you have a degree, why are you working in a grocery store? Mundane office jobs are usually better paid and offer more stable, sociable hours.

Really, lol? There are many reasons why. No. 1 being that £10,000 barely covers the fees in some places. An MSc at UCL for computer science for example costs over 11,000..

Office Jobs are often inflexible meaning they couldn't carry it over to when they start their masters and can be harder to get in to. Or here is a novel thought maybe they prefer it? I certainly wouldn't judge them for picking any of the reasons, hell, I wouldn't judge them face value for working at a grocery store period...

It's good you're passing these people by though because it sounds like they have had a lucky escape. :s-smilie:
Original post by ZuluK
Lol you can ask that but don't start off with

"How much do you earn? Do you get paid monthly or weekly? Are you up for promotion? How much have you saved? How much do you spend weekly? Would you spend money on your partner and how much? ....."

Other than that, like a normal person just ask "so what do you do?" :tongue:

:rofl:

Attachment not found
Original post by Foo.mp3
You are a good wholesome girl in essence/when on friendly terms with someone, but when you're talking about unadulterated dating prospects you can come across as being a bit of a 'box ticker' :flutter:

To be fair, not everyone can be the lovable rogue, a world without normals who grow up and become viable 'marriage material' would be chaotic

Depends on the context really, but when it's one of the first things that they say, and they haven't much else to offer conversationally, 9 times out of 10 you know the type you're dealing with
*true to some extent ,Obviously there are many boxes I would like to get through when I talk to potentials as I don't usually take dating and relationships lightly and would like someone on the same page as me,but just asking someone to tell you Abit more about themselves is an eye opener and I love learning stuff about people all the time and from experience,I've never directly asked a guy,they kind of just volunteer it,if you know what I mean? After that we just move on or talk Abit more about their work,hopes and dreams etc And also,there's a huge difference between a guy who will always just remain a friend and somebody you plan on dating. Always good to get a feel for them and get to know them Abit more,build rapport and for some people their job really does define who they are. I don't want to be dating a guy who is a complete workaholic and whom I never get to see,not romantic in the slightest
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 99_Problems
Really, lol? There are many reasons why. No. 1 being that £10,000 barely covers the fees in some places. An MSc at UCL for computer science for example costs over 11,000..

Office Jobs are often inflexible meaning they couldn't carry it over to when they start their masters and can be harder to get in to. Or here is a novel thought maybe they prefer it? I certainly wouldn't judge them for picking any of the reasons, hell, I wouldn't judge them face value for working at a grocery store period...

It's good you're passing these people by though because it sounds like they have had a lucky escape. :s-smilie:

I'm sorry for offending you but lets be realistic...how many attractive, intelligent, ambitious, confident women work in grocery stores at 25? Let's assume you finish your degree at 21/22. It's going to take you 3 years to save up for a Masters?? If this hypothetical girl is studying an MSc/MA or whatever, I assume she has career aspirations, and the qualification is to enhance her job prospects. Why not seek sponsorship through a company? Hypothetical girl clearly hasn't thought this through.. :rolleyes:

if somebody is doing their masters and at the same time working whatever job that allows them the flexibility to perfom well academically as well as keep the bills in check, then, that's great! But that's not what we are talking about.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending