The Student Room Group

Andrea Leadsom quits Prime Minister race

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Barlow
I think the attacks on her by the media and her own party show how nasty the party still is. I can see why she stepped down as in the long-term, it was going to ruin her entire reputation

Cry me a river. Politics is a dog eat dog world. If you can't stand the heat.......
Original post by KimKallstrom
Precisely. First they killed them in the 1997 GE and then they kept the Conservatives out for 13 years and were therefore able to bring in things like the minimum wage (obviously not everybody supports the minimum wage but if you're a Labourite you probably do). They also brought a lot of people out of poverty. This current shambles of a party can't even dream of that. It's why it makes me shake my head when Momentum types and the extremist Corbyn supporters et al continuously **** off anybody within the party hoping to emulate this. What changes can this lot make? Absolutely none, while the Conservatives can (in their view, not necessarily the public's) run roughshod over the country as they've free reign to implement whatever they want to with impunity. They're screwing over everybody with their pigheaded dogmatism and complete disregard for pragmatism and reality.

Say what you want about Blair and Mandelson but do you want to get elected or are you going to allow the opposition to stay in for another generation?

Ironically this reminds me of Marxist class consciousness (Nick Cohenand Christopher Hitchens have hypothesised about this too) in that you get people like Corbyn and a lot of Momentum types from very privileged backgrounds helping (unconsciously) to protect their class interests by ensuring that the Tories do not have an effective opposition and thus stay in power for a generation.

Corbynites bloody hate it.
Original post by Davij038
Ironically this reminds me of Marxist class consciousness (Nick Cohenand Christopher Hitchens have hypothesised about this too) in that you get people like Corbyn and a lot of Momentum types from very privileged backgrounds helping (unconsciously) to protect their class interests by ensuring that the Tories do not have an effective opposition and thus stay in power for a generation.

Corbynites bloody hate it.

Linky please
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Linky please

No links I'm afraid, both In books iirc;

Nick Cohen- What's left?

Hitchens- arguably

(Or possibly in one of his many articles for Atlantic / Slate- which are free last time I checked. There one in which he destroys Michael Moore which is well worth reading.
How long will she be PM for? Will she be PM for the remainder of Cameron's supposed term?
I have not read the full thread, but good grief, those Brexiteers are dropping like flies, they need to develop some resilience!!
Original post by Yellow 03
I have not read the full thread, but good grief, those Brexiteers are dropping like flies, they need to develop some resilience!!

Brexit by name, exit by nature...
Original post by Ladymusiclover
How long will she be PM for? Will she be PM for the remainder of Cameron's supposed term?

Yes. 2020 and then a fixed term GE.

But there may be a push to hold an earlier GE (or Referendum) on the outcome of Brexit negotiations.
Theresa May be a good PM, or she May not.

I had to :biggrin:
Original post by Craig1998
The leave campaigners don't want to clean up the mess this country made by Brexit. Absolute ******** how each one of the most prominent Conservative Brexiters have said no to leadership of the country.

Stupid media talking point.

Boris didn't run because Gove backstabbed him. Gove didn't win because he backstabbed Boris. Leadsom gave up because May clearly had it, and her campaign was a disaster.

Personally I'm content with May. She wouldn't have been my first choice but I'd rather have a new leader quickly.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Stupid media talking point.

Boris didn't run because Gove backstabbed him. Gove didn't win because he backstabbed Boris. Leadsom gave up because May clearly had it, and her campaign was a disaster.

Personally I'm content with May. She wouldn't have been my first choice but I'd rather have a new leader quickly.

Just as messy as the entire Brexit campaign but they still managed the win.

It's still a worthy talking point though, if they believed in the country enough post-Brexit they'd have all stayed on to fight to take control of it.
Original post by Craig1998
Just as messy as the entire Brexit campaign but they still managed the win.

It's still a worthy talking point though, if they believed in the country enough post-Brexit they'd have all stayed on to fight to take control of it.

Why would Boris or Leadsom stay on to fight when they clearly couldn't win? They'd do no good at all for anyone that way.

Gove did stay on to fight. It just happens that he lost.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Why would Boris or Leadsom stay on to fight when they clearly couldn't win? They'd do no good at all for anyone that way.

Gove did stay on to fight. It just happens that he lost.

Gove said he didn't want to be leader of the country, he had no care what so ever for what he had done which meant that he lost because people had absolutely no faith in him.

Boris could have won, I believe even Leadsom could've stood a chance if she didn't succumb to the typical media reaction (she overreacted so much, she's clearly a novice). This is because, as 52% of the country voted for leave in support of Boris and Andrea, and most of these would have been right-leaning or Conservative party members, they'll have voted in one of them a lot more than voting in someone who wanted to remain. Johnson would've used Brexit to his advantage.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Cry me a river. Politics is a dog eat dog world. If you can't stand the heat.......

Lol you're so cold
Reply 134
Theresa May will be another phoney unvoted for prime minister.
Original post by Mancini
Theresa May will be another phoney unvoted for prime minister.

So sign the petition calling for an early GE :wink:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4209478
Reply 136
Original post by jneill
So sign the petition calling for an early GE :wink:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4209478

The Labour will lose seats to UKIP if a GE is called now. That's not what you want, is it?
So basically, the UK won't be leaving.

Disappointing. Left-wing globalists always get their way, I guess.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jeremy1988
So basically, the UK won't be leaving.

Disappointing. Left-wing globalists always get their way, I guess.

I hope so.
Original post by thunder_chunky
She is a coward. Regardless of what she said, regardless of who agrees and who doesn't, she should have stuck to her guns and saw it through to the end. She should have stuck to what she said and saw it through regardless. Instead she decided to fold when the going got tough, because these days people like to quit when the going gets tough. They like to just take their ball and go home. Boohoo.
If she was just going to quit when it got tough, she should have never ran in the first place.

Theresa offered her a deal and she accepted. Not cowardice, just pragmatism, she knew she wasn't going to win, so she got guarantees about Brexit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending