The Student Room Group

What is your favourite psychology study?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dominae
Throwing in case studies but whatever.

Money and Ehrhardt's study of gender development (the case of David Reimer) and the study of Genie, the "feral child".

Not sure why these are my favourites ;P

They're really interesting :h:
Original post by Dominae

Money and Ehrhardt's study of gender development (the case of David Reimer) and the study of Genie, the "feral child".

I've forgotten about this case study, feral child cases are really intriguing actually, I saw one where he was raised by chickens! :eek:
Original post by Kamara7
I've forgotten about this case study, feral child cases are really intriguing actually, I saw one where he was raised by chickens! :eek:

Wait what? That's amazing!
Original post by A-LJLB
Wait what? That's amazing!

Ikr!!! Dunno if it was a study but I remember watching a TV series were a woman went around the world in search of feral children. I can only vaguely remember it but I think he was able to adapt to a human lifestyle, but I'm not sure though.
Original post by Kamara7
Ikr!!! Dunno if it was a study but I remember watching a TV series were a woman went around the world in search of feral children. I can only vaguely remember it but I think he was able to adapt to a human lifestyle, but I'm not sure though.

It's so devastating :frown: How anyone can let their children go through that...no matter the circumstances, it's terrible. I believe most have adapted very well for their circumstances though, which is good :h:
Original post by A-LJLB
It's so devastating :frown: How anyone can let their children go through that...no matter the circumstances, it's terrible. I believe most have adapted very well for their circumstances though, which is good :h:

Oh wait, just googled it and I think in this case he didn't adapt :frown:

The one I was thinking of was the guy in this picture:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/raised-in-the-wild-tales-of-survival-8165967.html: :h:
Original post by Kamara7
Oh wait, just googled it and I think in this case he didn't adapt :frown:

The one I was thinking of was the guy in this picture:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/raised-in-the-wild-tales-of-survival-8165967.html: :h:

In the paragraph it says at age 40 he has recovered after years of therapy :h:
Original post by A-LJLB
In the paragraph it says at age 40 he has recovered after years of therapy :h:

Oh, I didn't see that, that's great! :smile:
Definitely Social Influence research studies because those are the ones many people can relate to and definitely have real world application :biggrin: mostly Milgram, Asch, Zimbardo, Moscovici,...
I found the bio rhythm and sleep studies the most interesting, however they're the most ethically wrong ahah. Some of them are just weird. Like russell et al who gathered the armpit sweat of women and put it on other women's upper lips to get their periods to sync:K: I forgot the researcher's name but they shook mice up to disturb bio rhythms, measuring whether it had worked or not, by measuring the rate of tumour growth.also the one where they suspended mice over a turntable to disrupt their sleep was pretty brutal - they all died because of it.:s-smilie: morgan et al is also interesting - breeding hamsters with decreased sleep/wake cycle of 20 hours, then taking the SCN out of these hamsters and putting it in others, who then also got 20 hour sleep/wake cycle.
Did anyone read The Lucifer Effect by Zimbardo about the Stanford Prison Experiment and how it can be related to the behaviours in Abu Gharib?
Original post by dragonsonmars
I found the bio rhythm and sleep studies the most interesting, however they're the most ethically wrong ahah. Some of them are just weird. Like russell et al who gathered the armpit sweat of women and put it on other women's upper lips to get their periods to sync:K: I forgot the researcher's name but they shook mice up to disturb bio rhythms, measuring whether it had worked or not, by measuring the rate of tumour growth.also the one where they suspended mice over a turntable to disrupt their sleep was pretty brutal - they all died because of it.:s-smilie: morgan et al is also interesting - breeding hamsters with decreased sleep/wake cycle of 20 hours, then taking the SCN out of these hamsters and putting it in others, who then also got 20 hour sleep/wake cycle.
haha I was going to say that one by Russell of the pheromones for biological rhythms :tongue:
Original post by minimarshmallow
Did anyone read The Lucifer Effect by Zimbardo about the Stanford Prison Experiment and how it can be related to the behaviours in Abu Gharib?
Yes and no :biggrin:
Original post by Dominae

Genie was one of the others I liked, couldn't remember the name of her.
Original post by Inexorably
If anyone mentions that stupid Bobo doll study which was an absolute joke of a study I will hunt you down.

It's my fave study because it's funny watching the kids beat up the dolls

But generally I like studies on aggression I'm not sure why lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Anyone know how difficult psychology at degree level is compared to a-level?
Reply 36
From the classics I like the Little Hans Case Study by Freud (1909) and Little Albert by Waston (1920)

In my Niche I like false confession studies by Kassin and Gudjonsson.
Original post by RedRosesBloom
Yes and no :biggrin:

Did you just read the first half? That's what I did. He didn't half repeat himself.
Deffo Milgram esp the movies and TV show episodes that were based around that study. And also the prison one again because of the german movie i watched based on that study.
Original post by Inexorably
If anyone mentions that stupid Bobo doll study which was an absolute joke of a study I will hunt you down.

Hehe. Do give some details!

I feel that way about a lot of the "classics" people learn at A level. I never came across any of them during my psychology education and don't consider them particularly important for psychology today (except perhaps the Asch conformity studies).

My favourite study is pretty recent. The "choice blindness" studies: http://www.lucs.lu.se/choice-blindness-group/

In their first study, they showed how people fabricate reasons for the choices they make using a cool blend of psychology and magic tricks. See here for a video explanation:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/the-mind-is-flat/0/steps/3231

Certainly modern classic studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending