The Student Room Group

BPS accreditation issue

Hi,

I have currently received an unconditional offer from York university to study a Msc Forensic Psychology. I have also received an offer from Kent on the condition that my bachelor is BPS accredited. As I obtained my BA in Australia it is APS, not BPS accredited. From what I can see the BA's from both countries are pretty similar, (both 3 years & I have covered all subjects) except I did not do a dissertation in my final year. I did not believe this would be an issue as I am publishing my own research in Australia.

Unfortunately it looks like I will have to decline the offer from Kent. I am wondering if I accept my offer from York, if this will create a problem in the future when I am having my qualifications assessed. Will my masters be void if I undertake it w/o BPS accreditation? I am struggling to find any info on this. I am a British citizen and I'm currently deciding whether I should make a permanent move back home to be with my family, and so I want to progress with studies in confidence that I am making the right steps

Any input will be most helpful.

Thank you
Hello,

I have contacted the BPS (BPS Membership Advisor: Andy Christer) and asked around this as much as I could.

What the BPS have advised me is that 3 year BA degrees from Australia more generally (normally) don't meet the conditions for graduate membership of the BPS, so do not confer GBC (Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership), a prerequisite for most accredited courses, and are considered by the BPS to not meet the BSc 2.2 minimum standard.

However, their response had a caveat in that they have had instances where an individual applied to the BPS for GBC with a 3 year BA from Australia, and was successful as the BPS also look at:

- the academic standing of the university in the home country
- the individual’s final grade(s)
- other contributing factors (i.e., had published research)

So, all may not be lost in terms of wanting to go on to get chartered by the BPS (if that is what you want to do).

If you were to come on our non-BPS accredited MSc in Forensic Psychology Studies, you could apply to the BPS whilst you are here studying, and then if you get GBC prior to completing the MSc, then you could potentially transfer on to our BPS accredited sister programme, the MSc in Applied Forensic Psychology, and exit having Stage 1 for chartership with the BPS. To become chartered, you would then need to go on to register with the BPS for Stage 2, and sign up for supervision and practice under an appropriately qualified supervisor as a Forensic Psychologist in Training.

If your application for GBC was rejected by the BPS and you still wanted to practice as a chartered psychologist you would have to remain on the MSc in Forensic Psychology studies, then you would need to go on to complete the BPS Diploma (a one year conversion course, which would basically top up their BA to a BSc 2i equivalent). So on this route you would get Stage I for chartership after completing the Diploma (note, more typically applicants would do the Diploma then the MSc, but either way round is fine for the BPS).

If you want to apply to the BPS for GBC it will only cost £20, so very little to lose in that respect. I would advise you to include a copy of your transcript, your degree certificate, evidence of the published research (and evidence of any other research expertise they can give), and a copy of the handbook for your BA programme for the year you completed your BA (this is because the transcript typically doesn't give enough information about what course content was included in the BA programme).

Any queries in relation to BPS membership I'd encourage you to contact the BPS directly. Andy at BPS really was incredibly helpful.

Best wishes,
Jane,

Jane Clarbour PhD., C.Psychol., AFBPsS.HCPC
Registered Forensic Psychologist
Course Director, MSc in Applied Forensic Psychology and MSc in Forensic Psychology Studies
Senior Fellow, Goodricke College
Department of Psychology
University of York
Reply 2
Hi Jane,

Sorry for the delayed response, and thank you for the extent you went in order to answer my query. I am touched by your efforts - thank you.

This information is most helpful. The situation is quite tricky and I'm not sure my understanding of this is enitrely correct.

I have been in contact with the BPS prior to asking this question, though my response was quite different. Firstly, I sent an application to the BPS to have my degree checked (without the publications) and it was rejected. In the application I included a copy of my transcript, degree certificate and the grading system. After rejection I emailed a BPS advisor and asked if my publications would rectify my application status, and she informed me that I had to do a converstion course prior to starting my masters or an honours here in Australia. As my publications query was not addressed, I assumed this was my only option. I will contact Andy Christer to clear this up.

I was unaware of the pathways you've specified for York - thank you. My circumstances at the moment are not clear and it is hard to determine where I will be once I have completed my Masters. Despite what route I take out of the two you've specified, can you please advise if my qualifications would be recognised by Australia, and internationally?

Kind Regards.
Original post by des1991
Hi Jane,

Sorry for the delayed response, and thank you for the extent you went in order to answer my query. I am touched by your efforts - thank you.

This information is most helpful. The situation is quite tricky and I'm not sure my understanding of this is enitrely correct.

I have been in contact with the BPS prior to asking this question, though my response was quite different. Firstly, I sent an application to the BPS to have my degree checked (without the publications) and it was rejected. In the application I included a copy of my transcript, degree certificate and the grading system. After rejection I emailed a BPS advisor and asked if my publications would rectify my application status, and she informed me that I had to do a converstion course prior to starting my masters or an honours here in Australia. As my publications query was not addressed, I assumed this was my only option. I will contact Andy Christer to clear this up.

I was unaware of the pathways you've specified for York - thank you. My circumstances at the moment are not clear and it is hard to determine where I will be once I have completed my Masters. Despite what route I take out of the two you've specified, can you please advise if my qualifications would be recognised by Australia, and internationally?

Kind Regards.

Hello,

I think that the BPS will be the best people now to advise but you might also want to contact the Australian Psychological Society (APA) to verify if the APA accepts the BPS qualification anyway!

Definitely I'd suggest you contact the APA if you want to practice as you will need to register as a Psychologist (which is a protected title in Australia - these web pages, may be helpful: https://www.psychology.org.au/membership/qualifications/https://www.psychology.org.au/Content.aspx?ID=7395http://www.psychologyboard.gov.au/News/2016-02-02-recency-of-practice.aspxBest wishes Jane

Quick Reply

Latest