The Student Room Group

Advice for new year 10s

Hey everyone :h: I'm starting year 10 next school year (taking history, Spanish, photography, triple science and core subject) so I was wondering what advice would you give to new year 10s who will be starting their GCSEs. This year I've made the decision to really care about my school work as I was cruising along at around high average level so any advice is helpful :biggrin:

Thank you all <3
enjoy year 10 as it is a cruise compared to the last month or two of year 11
Original post by Mayhem™
enjoy year 10 as it is a cruise compared to the last month or two of year 11

Thanks :biggrin: I'm easily stressed so just thinking about year 11 gets me worried
Original post by happyvirus_xo
Thanks :biggrin: I'm easily stressed so just thinking about year 11 gets me worried

this really shouldn't be the case, although the casual quick revision session (I'm talking 10 minutes here, since you're only year 10) once or twice a week should be more than enough work for now
Original post by Mayhem™
this really shouldn't be the case, although the casual quick revision session (I'm talking 10 minutes here, since you're only year 10) once or twice a week should be more than enough work for now

Ah thank you so much!
Reply 5
Since I sat my GCSEs this year, I believe I am in some position to help. Focus on your controlled assessments, especially for subjective subjects such as, History and English, as these subject's exams can go either way.

In terms of revision, for History I suggest you really do focus on your controlled, imaging that you are sitting Edexcel History GCSE A, if you want an A* grade overall you would definitely need an A* in the controlled assessment, as one of the exam papers may go horribly wrong. When revising for History, I like reading the book first, making notes the second time, covering all past papers and finally reading the examiner report. Keep in mind I revised for my GCSEs the night before, an hour before the exam and some with no revision. Aiming for an A in history, predicted A.

English is a subject that you can not really revise for because of the questions asked but definitely put in maximum effort in the controlled assessment and resit if possible, resit as many times as needed, its the the best grade that counts. I suggest you also really know the texts you are studying very well. Reading the mark scheme and examiner report for both History and English is very useful as sometimes you'd get excited in an exam and write everything you know but really instead of writing 2 pages you could get full marks with only writing half a page, yes, this is possible. Keep in mind I did not know my texts very well but managed to study the mark scheme and examiner reports very well so that allowed me to write what the examiners wanted. You ll be sitting two English GCSEs, English Language and English Literature. English Language is more important for university so it is crucial you do well in it. English Literature is easier and still important but the English Language GCSE is more important. Sat English Language in Year 10, was not focused, achieved a C, predicted a B. English Literature, aiming for an A, predicted an A.

Triple Science is not easy. It is extremely easy. If you do not get a 100% in the controlled assessment you must resit it no matter what. The content found in GCSE is short and very straight forward, it does not require much understanding. Assuming you ll sit the AQA Science exams, unit 1 is very straight forward but long, fortunately it requires no understanding, it is all memory. Unit 2 is more interesting as it is closer to real science but still memory work. Unit 3 is where it is down to applying the knowledge; however, with GCSEs you can get away with memorizing, when I say get away I mean B grade. Biology in general is all memory recall, Chemistry is more understanding and Physics is basically apply different formulas. Unit 1, sat it in year 10, achieved an A, predicted a B. Unit 2, aiming for an A, predicted an A. Unit 3, did not revise at all, aiming for a B, predicted an A.

Maths, the classic 'you get it or you don't' does not exist in GCSE. Maths is easy, plan to revise for it a month before though. I did the mistake and revised the night before as I was full of myself. Aiming for a B, predicted and A*. Biggest regret.

I did French, but I think its basically the same thing. Revise it right from the start of year 10, even if its an hour a week, you need practice, as it makes perfect. I started French IGCSE in year 11, I managed to catch up but I recommend really acing the controlled assessment. Aiming for a B, predicted a B.

I sat Business Studies, but you haven't chosen it as a subject. Good choice, I really regret it, maybe because I wasn't focused all year. Aiming for an A, predicted a B. A* within reach if only I revised.

I also sat ICT, but you haven't chosen it as a subject, its an easy A if not A*. Aiming for an A*, predicated an A*. Didn't revise at all, never got a book since year 10.

I have not chosen Photography and my school does not offer it so I can not comment on it.

In general, you should take year 10 as a more relaxed year but not so lightly. I took it as a complete joke, for my mocks I got:

Biology C
Chemistry E
Physics D
Business D
English B
Math A
History U
ICT A*
French E

Picked my self back up in year 11, in my mocks I got:

Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A
Business B
English Literature A*
Math A
History A*
ICT A*
French B

GCSE expectation:

Science Unit 1 A
Science Unit 2 A
Science Unit 3 B
Business A
English Literature A
English Lang C
Math B
History A
ICT A*
French B

And as mentioned perviously, with minimal revision, so they may not be good grades but it shows that really anything can happen in GCSEs, you ll even realize they are a complete joke. Message me if you ever need help. Year 10 should have barley any revision, just keep up with class work and homework. Revise a week before mock exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd recommend writing notes as you go along, because it'll really help you in the long run to have all the information to hand. As for that, just pay attention in lessons and try to make sure you understand everything, because if you don't understand you won't learn! Never hesitate to ask teachers or attend clinics, because most of them will be thrilled to help you - helping students is why they became teachers, after all.

Apart from that, take it seriously but don't let the pressure get to you. At the end of the day, these exams will not prevent you from getting a job. GCSEs are a simply a springboard to success; they make it easier but you can still succeed without.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll ace them. Enjoy Year 10! :smile:
Reply 7
Chill all you can in both year 10 and 11 (but obviously do revise close to the exam). You'll miss these days when you get to A-Levels and Uni.

Advice from a Yr 11 that has just finished his exams: Start revising early. I don't think you guys have coursework so there will me more exam content. I started revising a lot a month before exam and I've regretted starting so late. I've only had time to revise my important subjects and briefly go through the rest of the subjects. Because I've started so late, some exams I have not slept the night before because I haven't covered everything in the specification. I have learned from this and will not make the same mistake again when I go on to study my A-levels. For year 10, revise a little and at the start of year 11, revise a lot.
Original post by OHamdy
Since I sat my GCSEs this year, I believe I am in some position to help. Focus on your controlled assessments, especially for subjective subjects such as, History and English, as these subject's exams can go either way.

In terms of revision, for History I suggest you really do focus on your controlled, imaging that you are sitting Edexcel History GCSE A, if you want an A* grade overall you would definitely need an A* in the controlled assessment, as one of the exam papers may go horribly wrong. When revising for History, I like reading the book first, making notes the second time, covering all past papers and finally reading the examiner report. Keep in mind I revised for my GCSEs the night before, an hour before the exam and some with no revision. Aiming for an A in history, predicted A.

English is a subject that you can not really revise for because of the questions asked but definitely put in maximum effort in the controlled assessment and resit if possible, resit as many times as needed, its the the best grade that counts. I suggest you also really know the texts you are studying very well. Reading the mark scheme and examiner report for both History and English is very useful as sometimes you'd get excited in an exam and write everything you know but really instead of writing 2 pages you could get full marks with only writing half a page, yes, this is possible. Keep in mind I did not know my texts very well but managed to study the mark scheme and examiner reports very well so that allowed me to write what the examiners wanted. You ll be sitting two English GCSEs, English Language and English Literature. English Language is more important for university so it is crucial you do well in it. English Literature is easier and still important but the English Language GCSE is more important. Sat English Language in Year 10, was not focused, achieved a C, predicted a B. English Literature, aiming for an A, predicted an A.

Triple Science is not easy. It is extremely easy. If you do not get a 100% in the controlled assessment you must resit it no matter what. The content found in GCSE is short and very straight forward, it does not require much understanding. Assuming you ll sit the AQA Science exams, unit 1 is very straight forward but long, fortunately it requires no understanding, it is all memory. Unit 2 is more interesting as it is closer to real science but still memory work. Unit 3 is where it is down to applying the knowledge; however, with GCSEs you can get away with memorizing, when I say get away I mean B grade. Biology in general is all memory recall, Chemistry is more understanding and Physics is basically apply different formulas. Unit 1, sat it in year 10, achieved an A, predicted a B. Unit 2, aiming for an A, predicted an A. Unit 3, did not revise at all, aiming for a B, predicted an A.

Maths, the classic 'you get it or you don't' does not exist in GCSE. Maths is easy, plan to revise for it a month before though. I did the mistake and revised the night before as I was full of myself. Aiming for a B, predicted and A*. Biggest regret.

I did French, but I think its basically the same thing. Revise it right from the start of year 10, even if its an hour a week, you need practice, as it makes perfect. I started French IGCSE in year 11, I managed to catch up but I recommend really acing the controlled assessment. Aiming for a B, predicted a B.

I sat Business Studies, but you haven't chosen it as a subject. Good choice, I really regret it, maybe because I wasn't focused all year. Aiming for an A, predicted a B. A* within reach if only I revised.

I also sat ICT, but you haven't chosen it as a subject, its an easy A if not A*. Aiming for an A*, predicated an A*. Didn't revise at all, never got a book since year 10.

I have not chosen Photography and my school does not offer it so I can not comment on it.

In general, you should take year 10 as a more relaxed year but not so lightly. I took it as a complete joke, for my mocks I got:

Biology C
Chemistry E
Physics D
Business D
English B
Math A
History U
ICT A*
French E

Picked my self back up in year 11, in my mocks I got:

Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A
Business B
English Literature A*
Math A
History A*
ICT A*
French B

GCSE expectation:

Science Unit 1 A
Science Unit 2 A
Science Unit 3 B
Business A
English Literature A
English Lang C
Math B
History A
ICT A*
French B

And as mentioned perviously, with minimal revision, so they may not be good grades but it shows that really anything can happen in GCSEs, you ll even realize they are a complete joke. Message me if you ever need help. Year 10 should have barley any revision, just keep up with class work and homework. Revise a week before mock exams.

This is all amazing, thank you so much
Original post by Madgiddypig
I'd recommend writing notes as you go along, because it'll really help you in the long run to have all the information to hand. As for that, just pay attention in lessons and try to make sure you understand everything, because if you don't understand you won't learn! Never hesitate to ask teachers or attend clinics, because most of them will be thrilled to help you - helping students is why they became teachers, after all.

Apart from that, take it seriously but don't let the pressure get to you. At the end of the day, these exams will not prevent you from getting a job. GCSEs are a simply a springboard to success; they make it easier but you can still succeed without.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll ace them. Enjoy Year 10! :smile:

I usually get too nervous to ask teachers :frown:
Original post by TSlayerr
Advice from a Yr 11 that has just finished his exams: Start revising early. I don't think you guys have coursework so there will me more exam content. I started revising a lot a month before exam and I've regretted starting so late. I've only had time to revise my important subjects and briefly go through the rest of the subjects. Because I've started so late, some exams I have not slept the night before because I haven't covered everything in the specification. I have learned from this and will not make the same mistake again when I go on to study my A-levels. For year 10, revise a little and at the start of year 11, revise a lot.

Thank you, I hope to put this into practice
Make sure that you pay attention in class and understand the content so when you come back to revising it its easier. If you ever having smaller end of unit tests or whatever revise for them make cue cards etc as this will then again make revising it all closer to exams easier and you should have some sound resources to use. By all means enjoy year 10 but don't throw it away and pretend like it doesn't matter because you'll end up putting more pressure on yourself closer to exams as you won't feel prepared enough. Keep up with any extra curricular you do though don't drop things, make sure you exercise as I find its a good way to let off steam, don't do all nighters, make sure you find enough time to revise and fit everything in in the day and make sure you have a set bedtime trust me when revising for exams comes around it'll be the best thing you've ever programmed yourself to do.
Firstly, you need to find or what type of learner you are and use revision tips for that learning style.Get the specifications of all your subjects;it tell you exactly what you need to know for the exam so you don't waste time learning what you don't need. From the spec make notes or flashcards then keep on going over it until you know it.If you're a visual learner posters and diagrams may also help. If you're an auditory leaner you can make your own mini pod casts and listen to it on the bus or whenever you're free.The most important thing is to do past papers. For essay subjects like history learn how to structure your answers for top marks. For science based subjects you need to memorise all the answers you got wrong...they recycle the questions,so if you memorise the mark scheme answer you won't get it wrong again.
I usually get too nervous to ask teachers :frown:

Well, there's no need to be! Teachers WANT to help students learn, my teacher from last year even told the whole class if he hadn't seen each of us outside class once asking for help or advice with a subject, he would be very surprised.

Asking a teacher is probably the best thing you can do if you don't understand it, as they know what they're talking about (hopefully, anyway aha) and have almost certainly come across people who don't understand it before, and know different ways of explaining it.

Teachers are happy to help you so don't be nervous. I think if I hadn't asked for help I would have done a lot worse in my exams, but I think I did pretty well, so woohoo! :biggrin:

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest