The Student Room Group

EU has already started squeezing Russel Group members out of research budgets

It's started.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jul/12/uk-scientists-dropped-from-eu-projects-because-of-post-brexit-funding-fears

News coming in from across the country that EU research grants are drying up, Russell Group researchers are being overlooked for new projects and in some cases dropped immediately.

This is the beginning of very bad news for British universities - a large drop in research income.

It will be followed from next year by a similar drop in EU student numbers as those dry up due to uncertainty about future course funding and compatibility.

I mostly feel sad really, because the UK is now going to start a slide from premier position amongst EU universities to end up goodness knows where, perhaps something like Australia or Canada? Well down the pecking order. This is bad news for all of us, students, staff, researchers and for British success and scientific and cultural progress both here and around the world.

Considering that it's all happened because of exaggerated fears being stoked up about immigration by Tory interests representing some offshored tax-evading oligarchs, it's pretty depressing stuff.

Scroll to see replies

Hey now.... this is all scaremongering.... who cares about EU funding or medical research when we have sovereignty? :rollseyes:
Original post by TaintedLight
Hey now.... this is all scaremongering.... who cares about EU funding or medical research when we have sovereignty? :rollseyes:

Yes, who cares about Britain's economic base now that we have the entirely false promise of reduced immigration numbers made to clueless people because they might vote UKIP?
Well, if things go really far down the *****er, just apply to a foreign university. I hear MIT is fantastic and in the nice bit of America. Alternatively, the University of Hong Kong is also brilliant (and practical, since they were the first people in the world to isolate the virus that caused SARS while there was an epidemic) and has English as the language of instruction.
Becky with her 1 GCSE wouldn't do research anyway.

To be serious about this, I'm really really sad and afraid, because I want to do research in the future.
Edit: Double post, sorry
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tetragon213
Well, if things go really far down the *****er, just apply to a foreign university. I hear MIT is fantastic and in the nice bit of America. Alternatively, the University of Hong Kong is also brilliant (and practical, since they were the first people in the world to isolate the virus that caused SARS while there was an epidemic) and has English as the language of instruction.

American universities are very expensive, there's no student loan for that and even if you pay your tuition fees somehow, you still have to eat and live somewhere. There are scholarships but they are limited.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's started.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jul/12/uk-scientists-dropped-from-eu-projects-because-of-post-brexit-funding-fears

News coming in from across the country that EU research grants are drying up, Russell Group researchers are being overlooked for new projects and in some cases dropped immediately.

This is the beginning of very bad news for British universities - a large drop in research income.

It will be followed from next year by a similar drop in EU student numbers as those dry up due to uncertainty about future course funding and compatibility.

I mostly feel sad really, because the UK is now going to start a slide from premier position amongst EU universities to end up goodness knows where, perhaps something like Australia or Canada? Well down the pecking order. This is bad news for all of us, students, staff, researchers and for British success and scientific and cultural progress both here and around the world.

Considering that it's all happened because of exaggerated fears being stoked up about immigration by Tory interests representing some offshored tax-evading oligarchs, it's pretty depressing stuff.
I

Overly pessimistic imo. All depends what they negotiate on Brexit and whether the UK decides to pit in place bilateral treaties with the relevant ccountries, as the Swiss did.

It also depends whether the current government is bothered as it can divert some of the money sent to the EU to the Unis if it wishes, although it may have promised that to the NHS.

We may or may not have a fall in EU students next year, it depends whats negotiated. There may also be an increase in non eu students due to the weaker £. U wouldnt write us off just yet.
Reply 8
It's started.

British universities should ask the government to increase research council budgets.

British universities will remain the best of Europe, alongside Switzerland, even with Brexit.

I don't think there will be a drop in EU students as long as the fees don't increase. On the contrary, many will apply in the next two years to be sure to get the lower EU fees. Anyway, EU students were a drain on the system.
Original post by Tetragon213

I hear you can do advanced torture techniques at the University of Azerbaijan.

They offer full board as well, it's a former camp now run by Blair Holdings.
Very sad.

I know at least one person whose research position (which generates profit & income for the university) is entirely funded on EU money.

Higher education is one area where the UK really is globally competitive.

If universities face closures and cuts then this will have an impact on local economies too.
Switzerland isn't in the EU.

CERN is in Switzerland.

Can we stop with all the doom and gloom and realise that leaving the EU, in itself, will not mean the end of research for the UK. There's more to European research than just the EU. Let's wait and see what collaboration arrangements are proposed, agreed and funded going forward.
I hear you can do advanced torture techniques at the University of Azerbaijan.

They offer full board as well, it's a former camp now run by Blair Holdings.

I don't know whether I should laugh or threaten to send you there as a test subject...
Original post by lawlieto
American universities are very expensive, there's no student loan for that and even if you pay your tuition fees somehow, you still have to eat and live somewhere. There are scholarships but they are limited.

You could always apply for an EU university, you'll just have to go through the same process everyone else from outside the EU has to go through.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Very sad.

I know at least one person whose research position (which generates profit & income for the university) is entirely funded on EU money.

Higher education is one area where the UK really is globally competitive.

If universities face closures and cuts then this will have an impact on local economies too.

Yes, it really matters, the universities and the research-based industries they support are a very big part of Britain's economic strength and also a key outreach mechanism to the rest of the world of the sort allegedly favoured by Brexiteers.

The new government really must get a grip urgently on things like this, otherwise they will just collapse surprisingly rapidly into mediocrity.
Can't wait to see the Government get around to filling in this gap lost from EU funding, whilst simultaneous providing additional funding for the NHS and somehow managing to keep on track to 'balance the books'.
Original post by Inexorably
Can't wait to see the Government get around to filling in this gap lost from EU funding, whilst simultaneous providing additional funding for the NHS and somehow managing to keep on track to 'balance the books'.

Oh don't worry, it's all in the £350m, or was it £179m, oh hang on, er, wait a sec... we'll get the answer shortly....
This is brilliant news for the "I've had enough of experts" Little Englanders!
Original post by Josb
British universities should ask the government to increase research council budgets.

British universities will remain the best of Europe, alongside Switzerland, even with Brexit.

Yes, it really matters, the universities and the research-based industries they support are a very big part of Britain's economic strength and also a key outreach mechanism to the rest of the world of the sort allegedly favoured by Brexiteers.

The new government really must get a grip urgently on things like this, otherwise they will just collapse surprisingly rapidly into mediocrity.

I have 0 confidence that government will prioritise research budgets or make these kinds of investments. Seems antithetical to their austerity policy.

I don't understand where the money will be coming from either.... but I'm feeling super doom and gloom at the moment.

https://fullfact.org/education/how-much-money-do-british-universities-get-eu/
Yes, who cares about Britain's economic base now that we have the entirely false promise of reduced immigration numbers made to clueless people because they might vote UKIP?

I agree , now we (UK) can actually control EU migrants. Good point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending