The Student Room Group

Perimeter question?

image.jpegThe owner is trying to keep hunters out of the field by installing an electric fence. However, for legal reasons, he can only install the fence one metre inside the field along the entire perimeter. What is the perimeter of the fence?

So I calculated the perimeter of the field and converted it to metres and the removed 4 m so one off each side? But the answer only uses 240 yards but the questions says the entire perimeter?? The answer is 705

Can anyone explain step by step please!
Sketch out where the fence would be inside the field...
Reply 2
Well first of all you removed the wrong amount. Try doing it one wall at a time that may help. Could you also take a picture of the whole question?
Reply 3
Original post by Duncan2012
Sketch out where the fence would be inside the field...

Okay, done that..
Reply 4
image.jpg
Original post by Devify
Well first of all you removed the wrong amount. Try doing it one wall at a time that may help. Could you also take a picture of the whole question?

It's both the questions I'm struggling with..
Reply 5
Original post by AqsaMx
image.jpg

It's both the questions I'm struggling with..

Okay, so the first one
Convert yards to metres (yards / 1.0936)
Each wall needs to have 2 metres removed. One from each side. So that is 2x4 = 8
That should give you your answer.
The problem you had is that you only removed 4 metres. That is only removing the length from one side of the wall.
Reply 6
For the second one take what you have 705 metres. One hunter starts from A, another one from B and they both go towards the forest so the A-B wall should be removed. Remember that you have metres and the image is in yards as well as the people are walking in yards per min.

You need to take the perimeter and remove wall A-B. This should give you ~623 yards. Plus minus a yard or two depending on the accuracy.

Then see how far the first hunter walked. His speed times the 5min.

Minus that from the new perimeter with the removed wall. The left over divide by 5min and you will get how many metres the second person walked in 1 min. Which is his speed.
Reply 7
Original post by Devify
Okay, so the first one
Convert yards to metres (yards / 1.0936)
Each wall needs to have 2 metres removed. One from each side. So that is 2x4 = 8
That should give you your answer.
The problem you had is that you only removed 4 metres. That is only removing the length from one side of the wall.

Thank you for explaining it so well :') I feel like a donut now!
Haha, could you explain the second question as well please?
Reply 8
Original post by AqsaMx
Thank you for explaining it so well :') I feel like a donut now!
Haha, could you explain the second question as well please?

Just did haha, check the previous message
Reply 9
Original post by Devify
For the second one take what you have 705 metres. One hunter starts from A, another one from B and they both go towards the forest so the A-B wall should be removed. Remember that you have metres and the image is in yards as well as the people are walking in yards per min.

You need to take the perimeter and remove wall A-B. This should give you ~623 yards. Plus minus a yard or two depending on the accuracy.

Then see how far the first hunter walked. His speed times the 5min.

Minus that from the new perimeter with the removed wall. The left over divide by 5min and you will get how many metres the second person walked in 1 min. Which is his speed.

How comes we use the perimeter of the fence and not the perimeter of the field?
Reply 10
Original post by AqsaMx
How comes we use the perimeter of the fence and not the perimeter of the field?

Good thing you're paying attention. It is the field. I made the mistake there haha. I'm on my phone so I have to keep switching between the tabs. It makes it easier tho. You calculate the field perimeter, remove A-B wall. Then it's the same. Calculate how far 1 walked, remove it from perimeter and divide the rest by 5
Reply 11
Original post by Devify
Good thing you're paying attention. It is the field. I made the mistake there haha. I'm on my phone so I have to keep switching between the tabs. It makes it easier tho. You calculate the field perimeter, remove A-B wall. Then it's the same. Calculate how far 1 walked, remove it from perimeter and divide the rest by 5

Thank you so so much :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest