The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by LMH OXFORD
Hi there,

It isn't possible to submit updates to your UCAS form after the Oxbridge deadline in October - if you want to apply with your second round of higher results then you would need to do so in the next application cycle the following year. If you are still keen to apply this year, then it's probably best to email our admissions office: [email protected] to discuss your individual circumstances - no two applicants are the same so it's difficult to give a simple yes/no answer! :-)

Hope this helps,

India

Thank you so much! I will definitely do that :smile:
Hi, I'm an international applicant. My results are out already (I met the conditions) and I have submitted them to my college. I'm just wondering when my place will be confirmed and when CAS number will be given. Thank you in advance.
Original post by jogachugawug
Hi, I'm an international applicant. My results are out already (I met the conditions) and I have submitted them to my college. I'm just wondering when my place will be confirmed and when CAS number will be given. Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

The university website states that you should contact your college directly if you have an unconditional offer and haven't received your CAS number within three months of starting your course. I am guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong!) that you have applied to a different college to LMH, so it's likely to be more productive for you to contact their admissions office directly to check. Congratulations on meeting your offer!India
Reply 83
Hi, does anyone know when foundation year decisions are supposed to be given out?
I'll be in year 12 this coming year, and I'm thinking about taking Maths, further maths and Government and politics, with the hopes of studying either PPE or Mathematics.
Would I be considered a stronger applicant for PPE if I were to only take maths, and swap out further maths for an arts subject like History or English?

Preferably I'd like to take further maths as not taking it would mean compromising on applying for a Mathematics course (and it's fun), but looking at other universities [Durhams] requirements for PPE they state:

"Candidates who study Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of four subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level."

Unfortunately due to the changes to A-levels, my college has said no matter what my GCSE results are they will only let me do 3 A-levels.

I could always sit as a private candidate one or two other A-levels, which I'm not against as I've pretty much covered AS maths + one of the further maths moduals already, but I'd still rather focus on three subjects than four or five.
Original post by LL0
Hi, does anyone know when foundation year decisions are supposed to be given out?

Hi there,

FY decisions should be given this week, but our tutors are taking their time to make their decisions (not an easy job!) and give detailed feedback to any unsuccessful candidates, so you may have to be patient a little bit longer. Best of luck - I am guessing you had an interview last week, so I hope you enjoyed your visit to LMH :-)
India
Original post by 34908seikj
I'll be in year 12 this coming year, and I'm thinking about taking Maths, further maths and Government and politics, with the hopes of studying either PPE or Mathematics.
Would I be considered a stronger applicant for PPE if I were to only take maths, and swap out further maths for an arts subject like History or English?

Preferably I'd like to take further maths as not taking it would mean compromising on applying for a Mathematics course (and it's fun), but looking at other universities [Durhams] requirements for PPE they state:

"Candidates who study Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of four subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level."

Unfortunately due to the changes to A-levels, my college has said no matter what my GCSE results are they will only let me do 3 A-levels.

I could always sit as a private candidate one or two other A-levels, which I'm not against as I've pretty much covered AS maths + one of the further maths moduals already, but I'd still rather focus on three subjects than four or five.

Hi there,

I think the answer to your question relies heavily on whether you decide PPE is more for you than Maths! I've copied the following from the university's webpage on PPE:
Although a background in Mathematics is not formally required for admission, PPE applicants should have sufficient interest in, and aptitude for, mathematics to cope with the mathematical elements of the course. Mathematics is a particular advantage for the Economics component of the course, as well as for the first year logic course in philosophy, and for understanding theories and data in politics.Many successful applicants have studied Maths to at least AS-level, or another equivalent. You may like to consider taking Maths to AS-level, or an equivalent qualification such as IB Standard Level, even if you do not pursue it further. It is useful to have learnt the basics of differentiation before starting your university course in PPE.
[https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/philosophy-politics-and-economics?wssl=1]

Providing you are offering any subjects stipulated by the university prospectus as "compulsory" (and there are none for PPE), there are no particular subjects which would make you a "stronger" candidate. The Oxford admissions system recognises that the strength of an application is based on something far more innate than A Level choices! With that said, if you decided to focus on making an application for PPE, it may help your own academic development to have a slightly broader selection for your three subjects. As far as I'm aware, Durham's policy on Further Maths reflects the fact that it is fairly unusual to study Maths & Further Maths with only one other subject. Oxford suggests that a background in History and Maths would be "useful" for a PPE candidate - so if you feel you would find that interesting, a third humanities subject would be a good way to go!

University offers only need three subjects, so I think it would be perfectly appropriate (and sensible!) to focus on three; whilst many Oxford applicants study more than three to A2 level, this does not make them more likely to receive an offer than those offering three subjects.

Perhaps use this summer to hone in on which subject suits you best so you are ready to make a focused application (it's also worth considering that Further Maths is commonly studied by those who go on to Oxford Maths degrees, but is not compulsory). Your own interests should be at the top of your priorities!

Hope this helps,

India
Reply 87
Hi India, thanks for the quick response - I'm sure it is a tough decision, and it sounds good that you get good feedback even if you're unsuccesful. And yeah I had an interview last week - LMH and everyone there was really nice!
If you don't mind me asking, do you know if decisions are sent by email, as someone I spoke to said they might send them by post?
Reply 88
Hi LMH,
I was just wondering if you know there is any ppe students from Chinese mainland
Thanks
Original post by LL0
Hi India, thanks for the quick response - I'm sure it is a tough decision, and it sounds good that you get good feedback even if you're unsuccesful. And yeah I had an interview last week - LMH and everyone there was really nice!
If you don't mind me asking, do you know if decisions are sent by email, as someone I spoke to said they might send them by post?

Hi there,

Super to hear you thought LMH and everyone here was nice! :smile:

Decisions have now been sent out - if you haven't received an email please do get in touch at [email protected]
Hi there LMH,I was recommended to you by one of the other TSR representatives, and I just had a few questions about my AS and A Level Options and I'd be extremely grateful if you were able to offer any advice.

I've currently opted to do Geography, Politics English Literature and 'Pre-U' Religious studies, however after some reading and further thought over the summer I've started to rethink my options.

Ideally what I would like to do is to drop English Literature and replace it with Economics, or alternatively swap Economics with Politics. However by choosing the former, I will only be left with one 'facilitating subject' (geography).

Even though they are not facilitating subjects, are Economics, Politics, Geograohy and RS good enough AS level to have a chance at Oxbridge? I'm predicted 8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE.Many thanks for any advice you can give!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 91
Hi,

I am currently considering applying to Oxford for Law later this year. The only concern I have is that the exams are all at the end of the final year, as opposed to at the end of each year.

Is this a disadvantage for students? Are all of the 3 years tested on in those exams or the final 2 years or just the final year?

Original post by fuzi8n137
Hi there LMH,I was recommended to you by one of the other TSR representatives, and I just had a few questions about my AS and A Level Options and I'd be extremely grateful if you were able to offer any advice.

I've currently opted to do Geography, Politics English Literature and 'Pre-U' Religious studies, however after some reading and further thought over the summer I've started to rethink my options.

Ideally what I would like to do is to drop English Literature and replace it with Economics, or alternatively swap Economics with Politics. However by choosing the former, I will only be left with one 'facilitating subject' (geography).

Even though they are not facilitating subjects, are Economics, Politics, Geograohy and RS good enough AS level to have a chance at Oxbridge? I'm predicted 8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE.Many thanks for any advice you can give!

Hi there, just replied to your question in the "visitor messages" section as that's where I saw it first! :-)

India
Original post by Rhite
Hi LMH,
I was just wondering if you know there is any ppe students from Chinese mainland
Thanks

Hi there,

This isn't really the most appropriate place to discuss specifics about our students' nationalities, but please be reassured that Chinese students make up just one of the many nationalities represented by LMH's diverse community. We pride ourselves in making everybody welcome :-)

India
Original post by Tasha G
Hi,

I am currently considering applying to Oxford for Law later this year. The only concern I have is that the exams are all at the end of the final year, as opposed to at the end of each year.

Is this a disadvantage for students? Are all of the 3 years tested on in those exams or the final 2 years or just the final year?

Hi Tasha,

Oxford's examination system is very traditional, with the majority of assessment for each subject being written exams. Each subject also sits "prelims" or "moderations (mods)") close to the beginning of their degrees, which do not count towards your final result. For Law, you would sit Mods at the end of your second term. After you've finished your mods/prelims, all work thereafter is for the 'Final Honour School' - eg your final exams! Some sciences have "part-finals" at different intervals, but other subjects including Law have a big block of them at the end of third year. So, not quite 3 years would be tested by Law finals, but your Mods would provide you with an essential framework for your later, more advanced papers, and you would be explicitly tested on material covered from the third term of your first year right up until your third year. That's not to say you wouldn't sit any exams at all in the interim; colleges set "collections" (mock exams) at the beginning of most terms, which enable you to keep on top of your revision, have a go at writing in exam conditions without the pressure of a final exam, and get helpful feedback from your tutors.

Whether or not this is a disadvantage for students is a personal decision. It's completely fine to decide Oxford isn't for you because the examination system (or anything else!) wouldn't suit you. If you were to accept an offer here, however, you would be given as much support as possible to make sure you achieve your potential in your finals.

Hope this is helpful,

India
Reply 95
Do you have any policy on reapplicants? (People who got rejected the first time and are now applying again?)
I wasn't rejected by LMH the first time but I am thinking about applying there the second time now. Will my previous rejection put me in any disadvantage?
Original post by scblx
Do you have any policy on reapplicants? (People who got rejected the first time and are now applying again?)
I wasn't rejected by LMH the first time but I am thinking about applying there the second time now. Will my previous rejection put me in any disadvantage?

Hi there,

No, it wouldn't be a disadvantage at LMH or any other college (although I know some reapplicants aren't keen to make their second application to their previous first choice!). There are candidates admitted to Oxford every year who have reapplied for any number of different reasons. Best of luck with your reapplication!

India
Hi @LMH OXFORD,
I was just wondering what date Oxford expects students to arrive before the the start of the first term. I notice that Sunday October 9th 2016 is mentioned on the website as the official start of term. However, I was wondering if the university generally expects or if it was normal practice for students to arrive before this and if so what date? Thank you.
Original post by skylake
Hi @LMH OXFORD,
I was just wondering what date Oxford expects students to arrive before the the start of the first term. I notice that Sunday October 9th 2016 is mentioned on the website as the official start of term. However, I was wondering if the university generally expects or if it was normal practice for students to arrive before this and if so what date? Thank you.

Hi there,

The dates given by the university website refer to the start of the 1st week of term, but there is always an additional week before that known as "0th week" which is for moving in, preparing for collections (after your first term, of course!), and also hosting freshers' week. You will be expected to arrive during 0th week; that's when your college accommodation contract will start, and you will also have meetings with your tutors. For your first term, this is a super busy week full of ice breakers, course inductions, tours, and generally getting your life in Oxford started. As a result, colleges will have a particular day when freshers are expected to arrive - this will vary between colleges, so if you are a current offer holder, your college will let you know after your offer has been confirmed in the summer - best of luck!

India
Hello!

We just wanted to put this video here for any of you interested in Law. Enjoy!

[video="youtube;Ap7YfyV8Ykk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap7YfyV8Ykk[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending