The Student Room Group

Does anyone feel like they are going to die young?

I feel like this a lot!

It's very odd and I never used to feel like this, actually I've spent many years denying my mortality and taking life for granted. In more recent months I've started to have odd aches and pains in my chest, being the hypochondriac that I am I have completely avoided the doctor (I am going this Friday even though I don't want too but I woke up this morning with a horrible chest so it's about time...)and the feeling has grown.

I really do go to bed thinking I won't wake up sometimes, but normally it really hits me when I think deeply into my future and think "I might die before I even get to do that thing". I've almost accepted it as a fact which worries me a bit.

I have suffered with depression and anxiety for awhile, now a'days I have good days and bad days but this seems to be a recurring thought in my head regardless of how I feel that day. It's slightly worrying.

On the bright side, I am far more cautious with what I eat and stay away from anything with added/ refined sugar like the plague and workout in order to prevent my early death. :redface:

Scroll to see replies

On second thoughts this should be in the mental health section, sorry mods! :redface:
Reply 2
narrrrr
Reply 3
I know what you mean TBH
Reply 4
Yeah I've felt like this since I was a kid and I'm still here at 24. Having pretty bad panic attacks where you feel like you literally are going to die in that exact moment doesn't help but I just put the 'I'm going to die young' feeling down to my anxiety disorders. My OCD has a big part to play in those thoughts as I think if I don't do something (a compulsion) then I am going to die and its a circle of having an obsession about death, illness or losing control and leading to danger which fuels the fear I am going to die and then leads to a compulsion and it repeats.

I always get thoughts like "I wont live to see my wedding in 2019" or "I might die before I see my friend next week" and they are very unsettling as I want to live, even on my bad days but I have learned to accept those kind of thoughts are part of my conditions and that I'm not alone in having these thoughts. I get those thoughts every single day, whether I am in a happy mood or not too. They come more when I am having a bad day with panics or OCD or I've had some bad news about something, especially if my papa's health isn't doing too good.

My inbox is always open if you ever need to talk :hugs:
You are too old to die right when you are born.
I'm 18 and look forward to death - desperately want to die at the very least in my mid-thirties, hopefully due to something like cancer or liver cirrhosis. Too much of a coward for suicide.

"I'm Mr Meeseeks, look at me!"
Reply 7
yes im gonna die before 30s
lol yes.
Tbh I always thought I would be dead at the end of high school because I didn't really think that it was worth living after that because I was too afraid of what would come next.
Now i can't wait to get out of 6th form and go to uni but still the idea is that I will be dead at like 24 because tbh the thought of like going into the world as it was scares me :/
I also get heart pains like you OP and there is a history of heart related thingies in my family so will probably die from a heart attack at some point or just give in to fantasies and such.
Tbh although i am very grateful for how much better i have it than a lot of people because things could obviously be a lot lot worse, i am not too bothered about the idea that i might not get to 70 or 80 etc because I have seen what happens to old people and it is rather horrendous. Ik stuff like that doesnt happen to every old person ever and there are people who are 90 who are as fit as 60 year olds but meh dont really want to take the chance :redface:
besides im not the healthiest person ever because i comfort eat a bit so slightly podgy so yeh but tbh im not arsed cos if something helps me carry on till tomorrow i dont really care what will happen in 50 years right at this very moment :/

lol that was depressing.
Love you OP btw and dont be going anywhere :hugs: xx
Original post by Kittyboy
I'm 18 and look forward to death - desperately want to die at the very least in my mid-thirties, hopefully due to something like cancer or liver cirrhosis. Too much of a coward for suicide.

What the...
Reply 10
What if we are already dead?
Original post by Spock's Socks
Yeah I've felt like this since I was a kid and I'm still here at 24. Having pretty bad panic attacks where you feel like you literally are going to die in that exact moment doesn't help but I just put the 'I'm going to die young' feeling down to my anxiety disorders. My OCD has a big part to play in those thoughts as I think if I don't do something (a compulsion) then I am going to die and its a circle of having an obsession about death, illness or losing control and leading to danger which fuels the fear I am going to die and then leads to a compulsion and it repeats.

I always get thoughts like "I wont live to see my wedding in 2019" or "I might die before I see my friend next week" and they are very unsettling as I want to live, even on my bad days but I have learned to accept those kind of thoughts are part of my conditions and that I'm not alone in having these thoughts. I get those thoughts every single day, whether I am in a happy mood or not too. They come more when I am having a bad day with panics or OCD or I've had some bad news about something, especially if my papa's health isn't doing too good.

My inbox is always open if you ever need to talk :hugs:

Thank you, I'm pretty sure it's linked to my anxiety even though I don't visibly feel anxious, if that makes sense. It's a horrible feeling, and it makes me sad. It is just upsetting me more recently because of the way my chest is at the moment, I know it's ridiculous but I almost feel like the doctor is going to tell me something awful like "You have 6 months to live" or that I need some type of surgery because my lung has collapsed or something, it sounds silly to a "normal person" but to me I genuinely feel so anxious to the point where it has prevented me from going to the doctor.

It's just so awful, I had a panic attack the other night and it just left me all jittery and made this feeling grow even more, at this point I feel like I won't even live till 30. A friend of mine slept over the other night and we were just talking really late night and after midnight my tiredness allows me to let my guard down a bit and I started telling her about how I felt and how I feel like even if I don't die due to bad health, I will die in something tragic like a car crash or be an unfortunate soul and die in a terrorist attack and she laughed at me and told me I'm being stupid.

It's so crazy and upsetting :-( I think going to the doctor on friday and hopefully after getting my chest checked out properly and getting an (hopefully) all clear will make me feel better.

Thank you, I will inbox you actually. Gosh I wrote a story :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ordo
What if we are already dead?

Time's an illusion.

Upon death, we are nowhere in an empty nothing. Time does not exist in such a state. And said state is exactly the same as that state before birth. Therefore, there are empty nothings which last for no duration (such a concept does not exist) on either side of a person's lifetime - since these two states are identical, isn't it logical to think that the person in question is repeatedly born? And it's not again per say, I'm not talking about that stupid reincarnation claptrap, but for the first time - an infinite number of first times?

I also believe that we are all part of a larger conscious experiencing itself subjectively... bleh, who cares. There's no point in finding things out, and we're made to repeat our miserable lives over and over by my reckoning.
Original post by A-LJLB
What the...

It's called depression.
It's called depression.

Yeah, I have it too. I just hope you're getting help, that's not normal.
Original post by A-LJLB
Yeah, I have it too. I just hope you're getting help, that's not normal.

If you truly have it, then you know that getting help is upon the brink of the impossible. kthxbai, going outside
If you truly have it, then you know that getting help is upon the brink of the impossible. kthxbai, going outside

Well I got help so :dontknow:

I hope you get better

I'm 18 too and if I have to die, I don't want it to be health related. I refuse to die in a hospital bed, I would much rather die being crushed under a car, as long is quick.

However, I can understand what you are saying. I've been there but I feel as though my depression is getting a little better and I'm starting to understand reasons to live better. I have always held on to the thought that there is something good waiting for me at the end of all this, even though there is no certainty, now I just don't want to die before that something good turns up.
Not sure how this ended up locked sorry! Will reopen it now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My dad died at 35, so I had the anxiety that it could happen to me for years, after I saw a geneticist and had some tests I felt much better but I still don't imagine myself living till my 70s and am getting my will and advanced directives/power of attorney sorted as soon as I m married to make myself feel more comfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest