The Student Room Group

I missed out on University accomodation. :(

This ****ing idiotic university clearly hates poor people.

I applied for accomodation, then they say they need a £350 deposit. I can't afford £100 let alone £350. They say they'll have to give it to someone else but if I get the money in the future let them know. Finally, it's 1st July and so I can now finally make a student bank account and get an overdraft. I do that, I message them letting them know and they say unfortuently there's no more room available.

****ing helpful University this is.
Reply 1
Original post by similarBlank
This ****ing idiotic university clearly hates poor people.

I applied for accomodation, then they say they need a £350 deposit. I can't afford £100 let alone £350. They say they'll have to give it to someone else but if I get the money in the future let them know. Finally, it's 1st July and so I can now finally make a student bank account and get an overdraft. I do that, I message them letting them know and they say unfortuently there's no more room available.

****ing helpful University this is.

Which uni was this? Such a deposit is the norm it seems.
Reply 2
well if you go to nottingham catered halls they expect you to pay for your entire first term fees upfront by septmeber 5th... so a few hundred pound deposit doesn't seem that extreme
Original post by Airmed
Which uni was this? Such a deposit is the norm it seems.

Just a small one in London that begins with 'R'. Don't want to insult them directly, just in case. :tongue:

These accomodation deposits seem to be a massive barrier on the poor to going to University. I've worked out all the budgeting, etc, everything and this is the only thing that has caught me out and because of it how am I meant ot go to this university?

The University even gave me a £1500 cut in fees as a scholarship, yet they can't work out that I won't even be able to go there if I don't have accomodation. :tongue:
Didn't you foresee this problem beforehand and try to obtain the money by say a job over summer?

Ask to go on a waiting list if they have one or seek our private accommodation.
Original post by fefssdf
well if you go to nottingham catered halls they expect you to pay for your entire first term fees upfront by septmeber 5th... so a few hundred pound deposit doesn't seem that extreme

To someone who can't afford it it does....
The majority of accommodation requires a deposit nowadays
Original post by Quantex
Didn't you foresee this problem beforehand and try to obtain the money by say a job over summer?

Ask to go on a waiting list if they have one or seek our private accommodation.

I did foresee this problem but there wasn't a solution to it other than what I did. Getting a job over the summer wouldn't have helped as they expected you to apply months ago, long before the summer, and I suspect that was when the accomodation was given as well. My plan was to get £250 of my own money and use £100 of my overdraft when I get a student bank account on 1st July. This, apparently, failed.

They have said I can go on the aiting list and so I have asked to be put on the waiting list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending