The Student Room Group

Choosing between sociology or psychology degree!

So I am interested in doing sociology and psychology at uni, and then hopefully going on to teaching. Will studying at Bradford University psychology and sociology combined degree affect my chances of becoming a teacher, as the entry requirements are only CCC.
Original post by sail999
So I am interested in doing sociology and psychology at uni, and then hopefully going on to teaching. Will studying at Bradford University psychology and sociology combined degree affect my chances of becoming a teacher, as the entry requirements are only CCC.

I personally imagine that psychology would provide greater insight into important components of teaching (such as learning processes) than would sociology.
EDIT: just realised I completely misread :P
What sort of teacher would you like to be (primary, secondary, FE)? Academic institution rarely matters a great deal, particularly for things like public services - as long as your classification is good (2.1 or first).
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmmm not sure I don't think so. If you had the combined degree you could teach both subjects or either one I think. My friend is going to uni next year to study both thoes subjects combined and afterwards wants to teach it at a level.
Reply 3
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Hmmm not sure I don't think so. If you had the combined degree you could teach both subjects or either one I think. My friend is going to uni next year to study both thoes subjects combined and afterwards wants to teach it at a level.

Thanks. Yeah, i was looking at the combined degree, but the problem is that it does not have a work placement at Bradford. So will getting a 2:1 without a placement not affect my chance of gaining a pcge?
Original post by sail999
Thanks. Yeah, i was looking at the combined degree, but the problem is that it does not have a work placement at Bradford. So will getting a 2:1 without a placement not affect my chance of gaining a pcge?

I'm not sure. If you did take the combined degree you could always do volantry work in a school environment.
Original post by sail999

Well it probably would but you could ask for help in finding a placement outside of your course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest