The Student Room Group

Student Finance

do you apply for student finance first, then apply for accommodation at the university you apply for? That way you know how much you will be getting and so it makes the choice for accommodation easier?
You need to check with the uni.
Reply 2
You should know how much you're entitled too before hand [at least roughly any way]
Reply 3
Original post by hestiaoya
do you apply for student finance first, then apply for accommodation at the university you apply for? That way you know how much you will be getting and so it makes the choice for accommodation easier?

It's best to apply for Student Finance as soon as you can when applications open. When you need to apply for accommodation, will differ between unis.*
You'll almost always apply for student finance before you will for your accommodation.

However, In most cases ir unlikely to have the decision before you have to secure your accommodation so it's best to at least have some sort of idea how much you'll be entitled to, which is pretty easy to work out, when securing your room/flat.
Applications for student finance usually open at the end of Feb / start of March.

It is worth getting your student finance in ASAP anyway. You can always cancel it if you don't want / need it.

Good luck!
Reply 7

It doesn't really matter either way. There's an online calculator which can give you a vague idea of how much you will get from student finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by mliela
It doesn't really matter either way. There's an online calculator which can give you a vague idea of how much you will get from student finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It can actually *make a significant difference. If you delay applying for SF until you know what accommodation you'll be getting or which uni you're going to, then there's a risk that your SF application will be too late to guarantee having your loans in place for the start of the academic year.

This year, the application deadline was 31st May for SF to guarantee your loans being ready in time. Conditional offer holders will still be weeks away from any kind of certainty at that point.*
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
It can actually *make a significant difference. If you delay applying for SF until you know what accommodation you'll be getting or which uni you're going to, then there's a risk that your SF application will be too late to guarantee having your loans in place for the start of the academic year.

This year, the application deadline was 31st May for SF to guarantee your loans being ready in time. Conditional offer holders will still be weeks away from any kind of certainty at that point.*

I meant in terms of the order of applying. OP should aim to apply for both early to avoid disappointment. But it doesn't matter which way round. Some university accommodation opens as early as January with it being first come first served.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by mliela
I meant in terms of the order of applying. OP should aim to apply for both early to avoid disappointment. But it doesn't matter which way round. Some university accommodation opens as early as January with it being first come first served.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see what you mean, but that's probably not feasible for someone holding more than one conditional offer, who isn't going to have a confirmed uni place until results day some months later. I'm guessing that's the majority of school leaver applicants.
Reply 11
Original post by Klix88
I see what you mean, but that's probably not feasible for someone holding more than one conditional offer, who isn't going to have a confirmed uni place until results day some months later. I'm guessing that's the majority of school leaver applicants.

You just apply at each place. A lot of unis don't process it till later but you still apply early. This is for quite a lot of school leavers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by mliela
You just apply at each place. A lot of unis don't process it till later but you still apply early. This is for quite a lot of school leavers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Different for each uni of course, but my current uni doesn't permit anyone to apply for accommodation until they've firmed a place whereas my previous uni required you to hold an offer. Always check before making plans.
Reply 13
Original post by Klix88
Different for each uni of course, but my current uni doesn't permit anyone to apply for accommodation until they've firmed a place whereas my previous uni required you to hold an offer. Always check before making plans.

Both my firm and insurance allow you to do it if you have an offer. OP will just have to wait and see where there apply and where they get offers from. But do both as early as possible to get the best results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest