The Student Room Group

My ex is being really clingy after break up

So we were in a 5 month relationship and i ended it because we were both at different stages in our life and i didn't love him as much as i thought i did. We ended on a good note because i didn't want to hurt him too much so i just lied and said that the reason was that i'm going to university and i won't be coming home for ages.

He finally accepted it but was so committed for it to work he TOLD me that he's gonna move to liverpool with me which made me panic and finally i convinced him to stay. But now i told him that i need space and we shouldn't talk for a while, but i know he stalks me on social media and realises when i haven't been on it for a while & then messages me 'hope youre okay', i can't bring myself to delete or unfollow him on social media because it'll hurt him more but although we're not talking i know its hit him hard but he's still constantly there. My plan was just to wait til september when i start uni to distant myself more
Reply 1
Original post by nissymimi
So we were in a 5 month relationship and i ended it because we were both at different stages in our life and i didn't love him as much as i thought i did. We ended on a good note because i didn't want to hurt him too much so i just lied and said that the reason was that i'm going to university and i won't be coming home for ages.

He finally accepted it but was so committed for it to work he TOLD me that he's gonna move to liverpool with me which made me panic and finally i convinced him to stay. But now i told him that i need space and we shouldn't talk for a while, but i know he stalks me on social media and realises when i haven't been on it for a while & then messages me 'hope youre okay', i can't bring myself to delete or unfollow him on social media because it'll hurt him more but although we're not talking i know its hit him hard but he's still constantly there. My plan was just to wait til september when i start uni to distant myself more

To be perfectly honest, as a guy a slow drift is far more painful then a blunt goodbye.
To see someone slowly drifting away and you can't get them back, it kills you every day really whereas being told exactly how it is, yes it woudl hurt a lot more in the short term but it's easier to get over. So maybe the best thing to do is to tell him exactly how you feel.
Don't be afraid to be mean, I know it feels horrible. You'll be doing him a kindness by "ripping off the plaster" so to speak. It's selfish to try to be nice, you might be giving him false hope :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending