The Student Room Group

Is life after death possible?

I don't mean reincarnation exactly but when you die is it possible a baby or even animal will be born in which you have a consciousness. Not saying you'd remember being the counciousness of other animals before but the prospect that when I die I might have millions of other lives scares the hell out of me.

And where did "we" or "I" come from. Everyone has a brain but why am I living through this one. What was there before I was born?

Man no wonder so many people turn to religion this is bloody confusing!!*

Scroll to see replies

honestly I feel we won't get any conclusive evidence that everyone will agree with so there isn't really an answer to your question. For most people, they choose to believe in what gives them hope/ happiness. For me, I like to believe that death is the end and there is nothing after that because that's what I would like
Original post by happyvirus_xo
honestly I feel we won't get any conclusive evidence that everyone will agree with so there isn't really an answer to your question. For most people, they choose to believe in what gives them hope/ happiness. For me, I like to believe that death is the end and there is nothing after that because that's what I would like
yeah I'd like to believe that too. Also seems most plausible. Not that I'll ever know!*
Yes. Possibly.
In Quantum Entanglement when two particles become entangled or have the same origin when one changes the changes to cancel the effect of this. It does this instantaneously- faster than the speed of light. How does it do this? Clearly somehow there is something that allows the storage of conditions of particles and that can affect the other one.
maybe you could do the same with consciousness?
Reply 4
My opinion - who we are, our personality and consciousness, is just a construct of the neuron web in our brain, a network of learned and instinctive behaviours which are unique to us all. Our consciousness is born with our bodies and fades from existence when it dies.

A rather terminal outlook, but I fully believe that our body and 'soul' are the same thing, and so reincarnation or an afterlife are impossibilities.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alexion
My opinion - who we are, our personality and consciousness, is just a construct of the neuron web in our brain, a network of learned and instinctive behaviours which are unique to us all. Our consciousness is born with our bodies and fades from existence when it dies.

A rather terminal outlook, but I fully believe that our body and 'soul' are the same thing.

I don't doubt that unique personality and characteristics die with us. But is there a possibility of having a completely new counciousness in another body? Completely unrelated to this one.
Reply 6
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I don't doubt that unique personality and characteristics die with us. But is there a possibility of having a completely new counciousness in another body? Completely unrelated to this one.

That would just be a different person :dontknow:

If it's not the same consciousness then surely it's a different 'soul'?
what does it feel like to be dead
Reply 8
Original post by theBranicAc

probably not much at all :lol:
Reply 9
Yes it is possible. In Hinduism, there are people who can accurately tell what you were in your past life and accurate tell information about present life. No matter how many different people you go to they tell you the same things
Original post by Alexion
That would just be a different person :dontknow:

If it's not the same consciousness then surely it's a different 'soul'?

being the person seeing out of the eyes - I can't describe it any more than that. I confuse myself haha*
Original post by theBranicAc

what did it feel like before you were born?

But then it wouldn't be your consciousness, it would be someone else's.
Scientifically speaking, consciousness is made up from all the interactions in your brain and nervous system. If the components making up that system were changed, it would be a different consciousness
Possible, but unlikely. I feel like people partly believe in this as something to look forward too after death, or a more positive approach to the subject, don't get me wrong, I'd love to reincarnate as a dog, bird, ect, but not putting down all my chips on a theory!
Reply 14
Original post by FrogLad
But then it wouldn't be your consciousness, it would be someone else's.
Scientifically speaking, consciousness is made up from all the interactions in your brain and nervous system. If the components making up that system were changed, it would be a different consciousness

Thats not consciousness. Consciousness is within. Something that exists regardless of how your body is. Of course there is no scientific proof of that so science cant explain it but theres proof of people who have reached enlightenmeant.
Reply 15
I don't mean reincarnation exactly but when you die is it possible a baby or even animal will be born in which you have a consciousness. Not saying you'd remember being the counciousness of other animals before but the prospect that when I die I might have millions of other lives scares the hell out of me.

And where did "we" or "I" come from. Everyone has a brain but why am I living through this one. What was there before I was born?

Man no wonder so many people turn to religion this is bloody confusing!!*

Not sure if you want to but you can find out what you were in your previous life. This type of thing is only common in India so you wouldnt get it anywhere else.
Original post by Rispekt
Not sure if you want to but you can find out what you were in your previous life. This type of thing is only common in India so you wouldnt get it anywhere else.

So-called past life regression is available pretty much anywhere nowadays.
Original post by Rispekt
Thats not consciousness. Consciousness is within. Something that exists regardless of how your body is. Of course there is no scientific proof of that so science cant explain it but theres proof of people who have reached enlightenmeant.

lol it's literally consciousness
Reply 18
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
So-called past life regression is available pretty much anywhere nowadays.

Yeah its all over india too. But some particular guys use a 'special method' and they tell you accurate info about your present life e.g. how many kids you have, when you will die, what type of job you will get etc. but more detailed info its scary how much accuracy it has. Then they tell you info about your past life and if you go to any of these guys they all tell you the same exact thing which is scarier.
being the person seeing out of the eyes - I can't describe it any more than that. I confuse myself haha*

When considering the question of reincarnation, we must keep in mind the distinction between what is present personality and the permanent individuality. The permanent individuality is the soul, the Ego, the “I” which reincarnates according to some belief-systems, through, and as, a successive line of earthly personas or identities.

Quick Reply

Latest