The Student Room Group

What equipment should I take?

I think a pen will do just fine tbf
Reply 1
Not even a stethoscope?
Reply 2
Original post by MedStuLu
Not even a stethoscope?

I have heard that you do not even use stethoscopes until second year. Maybe, talk to people in the above years and see what they recommend :smile:
Reply 3
Hi everyone!I'm excited to be starting in just a couple of months. I'm studying medicine but a little clueless to what equipment I need to take. I've seen some student packs online but I have no idea if they are really what I need.
Could you let me know what you took with you for your first year?Thanks!lu

This will obviously depend on your medical school. You don't really need a stethoscope until the clinical part of the programme i.e Third year and above. I didn't get my first stethoscope until third year. They will normally always provide them during the preclinical parts. Make sure you purchase some clinical attire for any GP/Hospital visits during the preclinical years also.*
Not even a stethoscope?

What kind of course will you be doing? If you're going to be doing clinical skills teaching early on, then you will need a stethoscope yeah. But I'd personally wait and see what your medical school says, they should provide some guidance. Also, you can often get a discount voucher at fresher's fair so you might want to delay buying one til then.

If you're going to be out on placements in the community or in hospitals you'll also need some smart clothes.
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice all. I suppose I'll just wait and see what I need and then order online.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending