The Student Room Group

Is life after death possible?

Scroll to see replies

You're asking for a definitive answer on stuff that's unobservable, so getting a certain conclusion is literally impossible until a philosopher comes along and revolutionises everything we know.

The only argument for the mind being separate from the body I've actually read into is Descartes, but his reasoning is pretty abysmal overall. I did read a random thing on the internet suggesting that because you don't feel as though your consciousness has ever had a definitive beginning, perhaps it didn't and doesn't actually have an end either. But of course there's no way of proving that either.

Original post by Rispekt
Yeah its all over india too. But some particular guys use a 'special method' and they tell you accurate info about your present life e.g. how many kids you have, when you will die, what type of job you will get etc. but more detailed info its scary how much accuracy it has. Then they tell you info about your past life and if you go to any of these guys they all tell you the same exact thing which is scarier.

I don't suppose there's any sources around as to how this "special method" works? I'm wondering if the method just suggests you say the same rubbish to the same type of people, hence the consistency of viewpoint among multiple guys.
Well I'm an agnostic polytheist, and one of the views I encompass is reincarnation, and whatever you're talking about. I believe in the body's spirit and conscience entering another living being, though not necessarily human.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I don't mean reincarnation exactly but when you die is it possible a baby or even animal will be born in which you have a consciousness. Not saying you'd remember being the counciousness of other animals before but the prospect that when I die I might have millions of other lives scares the hell out of me.

And where did "we" or "I" come from. Everyone has a brain but why am I living through this one. What was there before I was born?

Man no wonder so many people turn to religion this is bloody confusing!!*

Yes because Tom goes to heaven after being killed by Jerry
Reply 23
Original post by Alexion
My opinion - who we are, our personality and consciousness, is just a construct of the neuron web in our brain, a network of learned and instinctive behaviours which are unique to us all. Our consciousness is born with our bodies and fades from existence when it dies.

A rather terminal outlook, but I fully believe that our body and 'soul' are the same thing, and so reincarnation or an afterlife are impossibilities.

Read the Bhagavad Gita, it may change your outlook on reincarnation and life in general.
It is possible yes. Other things that are possible: leprechauns, unicorns, talking snakes, flying spaghetti monsters. Those concepts are logically possible but for all intents and purposes we consider them impossible.

Really, anything that is not by definition contradictory is possible. Only contradictory things (like married bachelors and square circles) are impossible.
Reply 25
Original post by Rispekt
Yeah its all over india too. But some particular guys use a 'special method' and they tell you accurate info about your present life e.g. how many kids you have, when you will die, what type of job you will get etc. but more detailed info its scary how much accuracy it has. Then they tell you info about your past life and if you go to any of these guys they all tell you the same exact thing which is scarier.

That my friend is Jyotish, it's a divine science, part of the hindu scriptures.

You should read this chapter in Paramahansa Yogananda's book "Autobiography of a Yogi" called "Outwitting the Stars"

Here is the link to it: http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Autobiography-of-a-Yogi-by-Paramahansa-Yogananda.pdf

The chapter talks about the power of jyotish. Everything in life is an action and reaction and is based on karma. There are very few people who understand this well but that book, "autobiography of a yogi" is a great place to start.

I also love the Bhagavad Gita, another favourite book.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
When considering the question of reincarnation, we must keep in mind the distinction between what is present personality and the permanent individuality. The permanent individuality is the soul, the Ego, the “I” which reincarnates according to some belief-systems, through, and as, a successive line of earthly personas or identities.

PRSOM
:h:
Brilliant answer!:smile:
Reply 27
:biggrin:Yeah, there is get a hold on yourself:u:
Original post by fg45344
Read the Bhagavad Gita, it may change your outlook on reincarnation and life in general.

I don't think so. I'm open to some religious ideas but the idea that the soul is separate from the body is one I find very difficult to accept.
Trying to speculate about events beyond the physical world is practically worthless.

About whether it's impossible/possible simply cannot be answered and we should not waste our time with such questions.
We're just a really cool massive accumulation of clumps of cells, and that is all. Simple beings really - just not simple enough for us to understand (yet)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by fg45344
That my friend is Jyotish, it's a divine science, part of the hindu scriptures.

You should read this chapter in Paramahansa Yogananda's book "Autobiography of a Yogi" called "Outwitting the Stars"

Here is the link to it: http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Autobiography-of-a-Yogi-by-Paramahansa-Yogananda.pdf

The chapter talks about the power of jyotish. Everything in life is an action and reaction and is based on karma. There are very few people who understand this well but that book, "autobiography of a yogi" is a great place to start.

I also love the Bhagavad Gita, another favourite book.

Reply 32
Original post by Retired_Messiah
You're asking for a definitive answer on stuff that's unobservable, so getting a certain conclusion is literally impossible until a philosopher comes along and revolutionises everything we know.

The only argument for the mind being separate from the body I've actually read into is Descartes, but his reasoning is pretty abysmal overall. I did read a random thing on the internet suggesting that because you don't feel as though your consciousness has ever had a definitive beginning, perhaps it didn't and doesn't actually have an end either. But of course there's no way of proving that either.

I don't suppose there's any sources around as to how this "special method" works? I'm wondering if the method just suggests you say the same rubbish to the same type of people, hence the consistency of viewpoint among multiple guys.

Theres no sources. You have to go there and find out yourself. Why would you believe someone elses word over mine. You have to experience it yourself dont you. But no they dont say the same thing to everyone. They tell you in great detail about your life, they even tell you your name, how many kids you currently have, what job you currently have, your partners name etc. This cant be just flukes. Its hard to believe for me too but i know many people who have done it, so different 'predictions' and they were all accurate.
Reply 33
Original post by Alexion
I don't think so. I'm open to some religious ideas but the idea that the soul is separate from the body is one I find very difficult to accept.

You may accept it or you may not. It doesnt matter. What matters is the truth. There are guys who successfully predict things I said above and they also tell you your previous life.
Original post by Rispekt
They tell you in great detail about your life, they even tell you your name, how many kids you currently have, what job you currently have, your partners name etc. This cant be just flukes. .

Not flukes, but it can be the charlatanism used by others of this type, giving vague ideas and then developing as you go on, and allowing the subject to fill a good number of the gaps and later attribute the filling of such gaps to the fancy fellow they've seen. So I'd have to analyse how exactly they do it.
Original post by Rispekt
You may accept it or you may not. It doesnt matter. What matters is the truth. There are guys who successfully predict things I said above and they also tell you your previous life.

We don't know what the truth is, we believe what we want to believe but no-one has a conclusive argument.

People could make anything up about your previous life and you'd believe it if they sounded convincing. As for predicting the future... a friend of mine has had predictions that have completely contradicted themselves.
Reply 36
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Not flukes, but it can be the charlatanism used by others of this type, giving vague ideas and then developing as you go on, and allowing the subject to fill a good number of the gaps and later attribute the filling of such gaps to the fancy fellow they've seen. So I'd have to analyse how exactly they do it.

Its not that either. They tell you your exact name with just one go. Not it may begin with this letter. They dont say you may have 2-3 kids, they say exactly how many kids you (will) have and many things like that. They even tell you your exact date of birth.
However,, some people try to go beyond the scope of the method and predict things like e.g. 'when will I be rich' which will be inaccurate but they do it for profit anyways. However the above things I told you they definitely get right.
Reply 37
Original post by Alexion
We don't know what the truth is, we believe what we want to believe but no-one has a conclusive argument.

People could make anything up about your previous life and you'd believe it if they sounded convincing. As for predicting the future... a friend of mine has had predictions that have completely contradicted themselves.

Well you cant just form your opinion from your friends predictions. There are different methods of prediction and some people even get them wrong so you cant just base your opinion from one thing. The guys I told you about successfully predict your present. The method can also be used to predict past and future. If they can accurately give the present in so much detail it can mean the past is correct too though as you said we werent there to see it. (Past as in past lives). And if multiple guys tell you the same thing, it might be true
Original post by Rispekt
Well you cant just form your opinion from your friends predictions. There are different methods of prediction and some people even get them wrong so you cant just base your opinion from one thing. The guys I told you about successfully predict your present. The method can also be used to predict past and future. If they can accurately give the present in so much detail it can mean the past is correct too though as you said we werent there to see it. (Past as in past lives). And if multiple guys tell you the same thing, it might be true

I'm willing to bet that even if I went to one of these guys, they'd be wrong or highly obscure in what they're saying such that anyone would consider it to be true.

Trust me dude, there's nothing behind it.
I hope so :h:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest