The Student Room Group

2.2 and a Pass on the GDL- Is the LPC worth it?

I received a 2.2 in Biochemistry, and recently took the GDL. I received an aggregate mark of 57%, with a very poor 45% in crime. I have good work experience (the FRU, starting my own business, being offered a place as a school governor, publishing a opinion piece and paid political work as well being elected to internal party positions), but will this be enough to compensate for my poor grades? I am not exactly from a well off family, and all my income will go on debt repayments if I don't get a TC.I am taking additional models to get an LLB, and will probably do the same to get an LLM if I do the LPC next year. But is it worth the risk? Do I have a realistic chance landing a TC? I want to work in Human Rights and Public law, which I understand is particularly difficult to get into. To be clear I also only got a 60 in con and ad- which wont help a Human Rights law application. Any Advice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I think you should be realistic about the firms you can apply to and definitely speak to recruiters but I don't necessarily think it's the end of the road for you if you're persistent. Do you have any mitigating circumstances?

Have you thought about doing the LPC part time whilst working as a paralegal or something? That would give you more experience in a paid legal role and also relieve some of the financial pressures of the LPC.
Original post by Hann95
I think you should be realistic about the firms you can apply to and definitely speak to recruiters but I don't necessarily think it's the end of the road for you if you're persistent. Do you have any mitigating circumstances?

Have you thought about doing the LPC part time whilst working as a paralegal or something? That would give you more experience in a paid legal role and also relieve some of the financial pressures of the LPC.

Thank you- this is very helpful. I don't really- an exceptionally difficult home life (disabilities and mental health issues) has been a constant, but I never admitted it as an excuse. Nor would it get very far in a law firm I feel.

By realistic what do you mean? I was never going to apply for magic circle firms, but would Band 2 firms be out of reach?But more broadly- if I applied for TC this year you think I would fail, most probably?
Reply 3
Original post by GDL/LPC student
Thank you- this is very helpful. I don't really- an exceptionally difficult home life (disabilities and mental health issues) has been a constant, but I never admitted it as an excuse. Nor would it get very far in a law firm I feel.

By realistic what do you mean? I was never going to apply for magic circle firms, but would Band 2 firms be out of reach?But more broadly- if I applied for TC this year you think I would fail, most probably?

Yeah, mental health is a difficult one. I personally have always had anxiety and panic attacks but I've never wanted to bring it up in case it goes against me.

I think I'd look at each firm individually, what are their requirements, can you find any past trainees that didn't meet those requirements and still got a TC etc.

At the end of the day, academics are a small part of your application. If you feel your experience and extra curriculars are good enough to counteract your results then I don't see why you shouldn't apply.
I would say your 2.2 is more of a challenge. None of it is impossible but it's likely you will need to go a bit round the edges and go the qual route differently and you want to qual.

I mean, why not try and get a job now and do the LPC later? There are loads of people in law who go off to paralegal then do LPC while working and then do TC its just they are somewhat invisible on a site like this

You can also go legal exec route

There are a small number of firms that will consider you with a 2.2 but likely you will need other balancing skills

In law you can make it happen by yourself

If you go the usual make 25 apps route then I imagine it will be tough

Consider framing your Mir circs in a way you feel ok about if that's the reason

Also, do you want to do law?

It's not impossible at all. Likely you will have to pay for your own LPC if you do it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending