The Student Room Group

How to find your motivation?

After exams, I've just felt a wave of emptiness, like I have nothing to work/live. I constantly feel frustrated and annoyed for no reason, and that causes me to feel more frustrated and annoyed as I dislike irrational emotions. Its like I have nothing to live for and I have no particular goal. I feel like I need a long term goal/aim or plan to motivate myself

People tell me to make many short term goals and live life day by day but that doesn't work. I've tried making lists of what I want to achieve/do but nothing motivates me. How does one find their motivation?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Which exams have you finished?

I say that you should enjoy the lack of purpose after exams, its very rarely in life that you can just drift around with nothing to work towards :smile:

Other than that, do something with friends. Get someone to compete with and do something on a regular basis. Workout, read books, play an instrument, learn a language. Dont spend too long, only 2 hours every other day. Challenge your friend to see who can do the most/best!
Dunno why you're complaining try living in the real world mate, its one giant bill. Enjoy the student life and stay in bed all day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emerl98
After exams, I've just felt a wave of emptiness, like I have nothing to work/live. I constantly feel frustrated and annoyed for no reason, and that causes me to feel more frustrated and annoyed as I dislike irrational emotions. Its like I have nothing to live for and I have no particular goal. I feel like I need a long term goal/aim or plan to motivate myself

People tell me to make many short term goals and live life day by day but that doesn't work. I've tried making lists of what I want to achieve/do but nothing motivates me. How does one find their motivation?

I felt exactly like this last year. I felt like my A Level exams had gone terribly, I didn't like the degree subject I'd applied for, and I just didn't have a clue what I wanted to do with myself. I was somewhat depressed beforehand, but after my exams ended, it got considerably worse, because I felt like I was just existing, I wasn't living! I didn't have any goals, and goals, or at least a plan, are hugely important to me!

After getting my A Level results back, which were better than I expected, and starting a course of antidepressants, I started to feel better. I took a gap year so that I could sort out my mental health, and it was definitely the best decision for me! I still don't really like my degree subject, although I haven't started it yet, and I still don't have any career aspirations. But I've come to realise that it's okay not to have goals, or a plan, or anything like that. Lots of people don't know what they want to do, education-wise, career-wise, or otherwise!

You just need to accept that you don't have any goals *yet*. Try different things, look into different areas of study/work, and sooner or later you will find something which you want to do! Until you find something that motivates you, keep reminding yourself that it's okay to not know what you want to do! Just carry on doing the things you enjoy, and eventually, you will find your goal :hugs:
Reply 4
Original post by kelefi
Which exams have you finished?

I say that you should enjoy the lack of purpose after exams, its very rarely in life that you can just drift around with nothing to work towards :smile:

Other than that, do something with friends. Get someone to compete with and do something on a regular basis. Workout, read books, play an instrument, learn a language. Dont spend too long, only 2 hours every other day. Challenge your friend to see who can do the most/best!

I took Maths, Chemistry and Biology exams.

I pretty much do everything listed, besides learning languages and playing instruments. I see my friends pretty often, but I don't seem to enjoy myself much anymore.

I like the freedom. It just feels like I have nothing to do and nothing to work for. I'm not even bothered to leave my house much anymore.

It seems to be affecting my sleep too, I used to be able to fall asleep anywhere and now I find it hard to get any sleep.

Original post by Leviathan1741
You just need to accept that you don't have any goals *yet*. Try different things, look into different areas of study/work, and sooner or later you will find something which you want to do! Until you find something that motivates you, keep reminding yourself that it's okay to not know what you want to do! Just carry on doing the things you enjoy, and eventually, you will find your goal :hugs:

I'm starting not to enjoy anything anymore, the things I enjoy most are starting to get boring due to me not having any direction.

I know what I want to do, but I'm just in a stupid negative slump and I don't know how to get out of it.
Original post by emerl98

I'm starting not to enjoy anything anymore, the things I enjoy most are starting to get boring due to me not having any direction.

I know what I want to do, but I'm just in a stupid negative slump and I don't know how to get out of it.

Have you been to the doctors at all to see about possible depression?
Original post by emerl98

Do you have an idea of what kind of career, field you want to go in? Maybe you can try and arrange a work experience placement?But even if you don't really have an idea, plan, maybe make a list of things you have always wanted to do, even if they aren't necessarily long term goals. And do activities e.g. with hobbies, volunteering etc you are passionate about, and who knows maybe they can lead you on a path with long term goal ideas :wink:Also maybe try learning a new language, it would be pretty cool to go travelling to that place in the future and rly apply those skills, and also finally watch stuff without having to keep looking down at the subs. e.g. in anime, oh da strugglez xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Have you been to the doctors at all to see about possible depression?

Nope, i know I'm not depressed. I just need to find a long term goal to give my life some meaning. I'm happy about how my life is going right now. But thats the problem. I want something to do or something to live for.

Original post by FabulouslyAwks
Do you have an idea of what kind of career, field you want to go in? Maybe you can try and arrange a work experience placement?But even if you don't really have an idea, plan, maybe make a list of things you have always wanted to do, even if they aren't necessarily long term goals. And do activities e.g. with hobbies, volunteering etc you are passionate about, and who knows maybe they can lead you on a path with long term goal ideas :wink:Also maybe try learning a new language, it would be pretty cool to go travelling to that place in the future and rly apply those skills, and also finally watch stuff without having to keep looking down at the subs. e.g. in anime, oh da strugglez xD

I want to do medicine. I volunteer twice a week and I am still gettimg placement sorted. Whilst i have the motivation to work towards it, I'm questioning if success will truly make me happy.

What would I do after i become a doctor? Where is my end point?

It doesn't have to be final, but i don't have the slightest idea of what it could be. That seems to annoy me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emerl98
Nope, i know I'm not depressed. I just need to find a long term goal to give my life some meaning.

Ah okay. I wish you luck with finding your goal! :h:
Reply 9
Ah okay. I wish you luck with finding your goal! :h:

Thanks haha
Original post by emerl98

I'll tell you what I have I have a pair of A3 corkboards on my wall and pinned to the first board are my short term aims and useful stuff like business leads to follow up on and things to do and stock to order and appointments/deadlines to meet then on the other board I have my long term stuff like stuff for the next few years so there's a 5 year budget plan and pictures of my aspirations so mainly expensive watches, nice jewellery (some i want and some to take inspiration from) and fast cars not to mention the helicopter and stuff for my dream home
Reply 11
I think purely living life day by day as in a fixed routine like work, eat, TV, sleep, is a sign of hopelessness or lack of ambition, you need to live your life by day but for the long term aim as well, make each day count which means doing different things and planning ahead.

There are basic ways to get motivated but everyone knows the secret drive to their own motivation, you need to find that and play on it. It could be fueled by a desire for happiness or success, a desire to enjoy life, anger is also a popular one. I find a mix of each of those is what motivates me, long run I dream of success and enjoying life, day by day I look to be happy and have fun while the anger prevents me from falling behind
Reply 12
Original post by jamesthehustler
I'll tell you what I have I have a pair of A3 corkboards on my wall and pinned to the first board are my short term aims and useful stuff like business leads to follow up on and things to do and stock to order and appointments/deadlines to meet then on the other board I have my long term stuff like stuff for the next few years so there's a 5 year budget plan and pictures of my aspirations so mainly expensive watches, nice jewellery (some i want and some to take inspiration from) and fast cars not to mention the helicopter and stuff for my dream home

How did you make them? What questions did you ask yourself when making your long term one? How did you determine your long term goals?

Original post by zayn008
I think purely living life day by day as in a fixed routine like work, eat, TV, sleep, is a sign of hopelessness or lack of ambition, you need to live your life by day but for the long term aim as well, make each day count which means doing different things and planning ahead.There are basic ways to get motivated but everyone knows the secret drive to their own motivation, you need to find that and play on it. It could be fueled by a desire for happiness or success, a desire to enjoy life, anger is also a popular one. I find a mix of each of those is what motivates me, long run I dream of success and enjoying life, day by day I look to be happy and have fun while the anger prevents me from falling behind

I agree. Do you have any tips on how to find these motivations?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emerl98
How did you make them? What questions did you ask yourself when making your long term one? How did you determine your long term goals?

I got the corkboards from a charity shop but they originally came from an art shop according to the labels
simply what do I want to own, how much will it cost and some approximate running costs for it all
my long term goals a lot of time looking at cars, watches and luxury dealerships I have had upgrades (new items or a better item) and downgrades (availability limits or value goes too far or when I put into £12,000 every week) at times
Original post by emerl98
Nope, i know I'm not depressed. I just need to find a long term goal to give my life some meaning. I'm happy about how my life is going right now. But thats the problem. I want something to do or something to live for.

I want to do medicine. I volunteer twice a week and I am still gettimg placement sorted. Whilst i have the motivation to work towards it, I'm questioning if success will truly make me happy.

What would I do after i become a doctor? Where is my end point?

It doesn't have to be final, but i don't have the slightest idea of what it could be. That seems to annoy me.
Think about the things you feel really passionately about, maybe your long term goal could lie there? Even though you are not sure of your goal now, maybe you will discover it later on, as you get more experiences. And even though it can feel frustrating, maybe think about all the amazing possibilities out there, that your goal could potentially be, what ideas do you feel the strongest about? Maybe they could show some direction.

Quick Reply