The Student Room Group

Best advice for doing medicine?

I am currently in year 12 aspiring to do medicine. I am currently studying biology, chemistry, history and religious studies. I have recentely applied for work experience at a hospital. I would really appreciate any given help as I am determined to work hard and do well. Thanks
Hello! It's great to hear you're interested in Medicine. Before applying to medical school, there are two very important steps to complete.

1) Decide for certain that medicine is right for you

2) Take steps to ensure your application is strong enough to succeed against strong competition.

Now since you're in year 12 (and presumably applying by the deadline of this October) you need to act on both fronts quickly as time is tight. I note you've applied to work experience - but you should apply to more. You need to make certain of getting some if the hospital doesn't work out. Apply to a different hospital, to various GP surgeries, health centres and care homes to make sure you get some work experience fast! When you're doing work experience you'll get a feeling for what it's like working in a caring setting and hopefully see something of the day-to-day work of doctors too. Use a notebook and take notes so you remember all the interesting things you see and can put them into your personal statement. Use the experience to gauge whether or not you would like working as a doctor.

Whilst doing this, you must start to prepare for the applications process soon - other people are doing this now. Admissions tests are required for medical school - often the UKCAT (a computer based test sat over the summer) but some medical schools use the BMAT instead (a paper test taken in early November). Look at the admissions tests and start preparing for the UKCAT now so if you decide to sit the test you are ready to do so.

Look at different medical schools and decide which style of course is right for you. Decide if geographical location is important to you. Look at admissions criteria to see which medical schools will best suit your strengths and give you the best chance of securing an offer.

Ensure you continue studying both Biology and Chemistry next year and study hard to get top grades in them.

Read all about medicine, healthcare and the NHS in science journals and in the news. Not only will this improve your awareness, it will give you useful things to talk about in your personal statement and will form the backbone of your interview preparation.

So basically you need to act quickly to be able to apply this year. Get work experience. Research medical schools. Write a great personal statement. Prepare for admissions tests and enrol. Don't delay otherwise you won't be able to get everything ready in time for the early deadline. Good luck!

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hello! It's great to hear you're interested in Medicine. Before applying to medical school, there are two very important steps to complete.

1) Decide for certain that medicine is right for you

2) Take steps to ensure your application is strong enough to succeed against strong competition.

Now since you're in year 12 (and presumably applying by the deadline of this October) you need to act on both fronts quickly as time is tight. I note you've applied to work experience - but you should apply to more. You need to make certain of getting some if the hospital doesn't work out. Apply to a different hospital, to various GP surgeries, health centres and care homes to make sure you get some work experience fast! When you're doing work experience you'll get a feeling for what it's like working in a caring setting and hopefully see something of the day-to-day work of doctors too. Use a notebook and take notes so you remember all the interesting things you see and can put them into your personal statement. Use the experience to gauge whether or not you would like working as a doctor.

Whilst doing this, you must start to prepare for the applications process soon - other people are doing this now. Admissions tests are required for medical school - often the UKCAT (a computer based test sat over the summer) but some medical schools use the BMAT instead (a paper test taken in early November). Look at the admissions tests and start preparing for the UKCAT now so if you decide to sit the test you are ready to do so.

Look at different medical schools and decide which style of course is right for you. Decide if geographical location is important to you. Look at admissions criteria to see which medical schools will best suit your strengths and give you the best chance of securing an offer.

Ensure you continue studying both Biology and Chemistry next year and study hard to get top grades in them.

Read all about medicine, healthcare and the NHS in science journals and in the news. Not only will this improve your awareness, it will give you useful things to talk about in your personal statement and will form the backbone of your interview preparation.

So basically you need to act quickly to be able to apply this year. Get work experience. Research medical schools. Write a great personal statement. Prepare for admissions tests and enrol. Don't delay otherwise you won't be able to get everything ready in time for the early deadline. Good luck!

UniAdmissions

Hi,
I definitely wish to do medicine but the only problem might be by gcse's (3A*'s, 5A's , 2B's and distinction *). I am well committed to goal and can work extremely hard and hope to achieve A's and A*s at A-level. Yes I will indeed find more work experince placements.Yes I will need to book it and start revising for it.Thank you ever so much for your help, I honestly really appreciate your help. I will take on board all the advice given. It would be great if you could help me write my personal statement or provide a template.
Once again thanks.
Reply 3
Quite honestly, you might find it difficult, practically every medical degree requires sciences/maths for all your A-Level choices.
Original post by Barlow
Quite honestly, you might find it difficult, practically every medical degree requires sciences/maths for all your A-Level choices.

Wrong. Every medical school (except Cambridge) requires at most chemistry and biology/physics (i.e. two science subjects). History and R.E are perfectly acceptable choices on top of biology and chemistry.
Original post by ForestCat
Wrong. Every medical school (except Cambridge) requires at most chemistry and biology/physics (i.e. two science subjects). History and R.E are perfectly acceptable choices on top of biology and chemistry.

Second year Cambridge medic here, even camb doesn't require 3-4 sciences; chemistry + 1 other is usually fine but they do like to grill you on scientific topics in your interview which is the main disadvantage from not doing chem and bio, but there is no obvious advantage if you don't do maths and physics as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Barlow

Give me evidence of one please. Just one.

Don't post on things you are ignorant about.
Original post by Amphoteric
Second year Cambridge medic here, even camb doesn't require 3-4 sciences; chemistry + 1 other is usually fine but they do like to grill you on scientific topics in your interview which is the main disadvantage from not doing chem and bio, but there is no obvious advantage if you don't do maths and physics as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it isn't.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
No it isn't.

From my experiences in the two years here I've found this to be very true; many of my closest friends have not done physics or maths at A level, not to mention my colleagues that studied IB and didn't take higher maths/physics over Latin. The notion that you need all the sciences is absurd. The correlation with tripos result and BMAT/AS level score is actually aided by those who study critically thinking subjects at A level as it often seems to help in Section I of the BMAT as well as general essay writing technique in the first two years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
From my experiences in the two years here I've found this to be very true; many of my closest friends have not done physics or maths at A level, not to mention my colleagues that studied IB and didn't take higher maths/physics over Latin. The notion that you need all the sciences is absurd. The correlation with tripos result and BMAT/AS level score is actually aided by those who study critically thinking subjects at A level as it often seems to help in Section I of the BMAT as well as general essay writing technique in the first two years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help. What advice would you give for revising for a UKCAT test and writing a personal statement? Would you recommend volunteering at care home?Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol sorry my reply was quite blunt and didn't explain much. You certainly don't need all the sciences.

But your original post said, "Second year Cambridge medic here, even camb doesn't require 3-4 sciences; chemistry + 1 other is usually fine".

That evidently isn't true, when the Cambridge website states the following:

"Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level.

Most applicants for Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A Levels and some Colleges require this and/or particular subjects. See individual College websites for details.

Although some Colleges consider applicants offering only two science/mathematics subjects at A Level (or equivalent), please note that the success rate of such applicants is much lower."
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by zak7399
Hi,
I definitely wish to do medicine but the only problem might be by gcse's (3A*'s, 5A's , 2B's and distinction *). I am well committed to goal and can work extremely hard and hope to achieve A's and A*s at A-level. Yes I will indeed find more work experince placements.Yes I will need to book it and start revising for it.Thank you ever so much for your help, I honestly really appreciate your help. I will take on board all the advice given. It would be great if you could help me write my personal statement or provide a template.
Once again thanks.

Your GCSE's are fine, your application will definitely be considered by most medical schools, but do avoid Oxbridge, B 'ham and Bristol.Newcastle, Barts and the London and SGUL are some places I recommend where your application will be competitive. Good Luck :smile:
Original post by zak7399
Hi,
Once again thanks.

Hi zak7399

You're welcome for the advice, I'm glad it was of use.

That is great that you are committed to your goal and that you realise the things that you need to do to get there.

Regarding your personal statement, you should watch this video as it is about this exact subject and will give you some great ideas for getting started.

Let me know if you have any questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
Reply 13
Original post by saran23
Your GCSE's are fine, your application will definitely be considered by most medical schools, but do avoid Oxbridge, B 'ham and Bristol.Newcastle, Barts and the London and SGUL are some places I recommend where your application will be competitive. Good Luck :smile:

Will do thanks:smile: Any good recommendations for me ? Thank you:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi zak7399

You're welcome for the advice, I'm glad it was of use.

That is great that you are committed to your goal and that you realise the things that you need to do to get there.

Regarding your personal statement, you should watch this video as it is about this exact subject and will give you some great ideas for getting started.

Let me know if you have any questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help and will do.
Original post by zak7399
Thank you very much. I appreciate your help and will do.

You're very welcome.

Shout if there's anything else.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending