The Student Room Group

Feeling way out of my depth in new job

I recently just got a new part-time job, which is online. I thought this would be convenient for me and lots of friends of mine seem to be going for online jobs at the moment.

When I spoke to the employer beforehand, she made it seem like it would just be a couple of hours a day updating things on her website or replying to emails etc. Nothing was mentioned about needing to be proficient in any area. I explained that I had a little bit of experience in managing websites, I created and ran one for a year using the same service she does, however I did also explain that this was 2 years ago now.

I'm about a week into the job now and my boss keeps asking me to do different things which honestly I have no clue about! I'm not sure if she thinks I'm better at using this software than I actually am, if she's expecting me to research everything and pick it up or what. I've tried googling various things but I can't quite get my head round everything and I just feel really out of my depth. It might have been naive of me but I imagined the work to be a lot easier and to be honest, pretty boring and tedious. Unfortunately that's not true.

I don't really have anyone to talk to about this since it's just me currently working for this person. If I were in an office or a team, I feel like I could discuss with my colleagues if necessary but at the moment, any time I need something explaining then I have to ask my boss. I don't want to bug her unnecessarily and I feel like she's currently employing me to ask her questions and get her to do things but I'm also scared of doing everything wrong.

I know there's an adjustment period at the start of every job but I can't get any proper training etc. I'm nowhere near a web developer/designer which is what I feel my boss is looking for, not an everyday assistant! I'm trying to learn new things but I really feel out of my depth with this one.

Sorry for the long post :frown:
Original post by ceIestial
research everything and pick it up or what. I've tried googling various things but I can't quite get my head round everything and I just feel really out of my depth. It might have been naive of me but I imagined the work to be a lot easier and to be honest, pretty boring and tedious.

This is what you should be doing. Researching things and learning along the way. Everyone goes through a period of adjustment and no one is specifically trained to do their job until they get on the job. Every job has its nuances which you have to come to terms with so it isn't going to be easy.

Original post by ceIestial

I don't really have anyone to talk to about this since it's just me currently working for this person. If I were in an office or a team, I feel like I could discuss with my colleagues if necessary but at the moment, any time I need something explaining then I have to ask my boss. I don't want to bug her unnecessarily and I feel like she's currently employing me to ask her questions and get her to do things but I'm also scared of doing everything wrong.

I know there's an adjustment period at the start of every job but I can't get any proper training etc. I'm nowhere near a web developer/designer which is what I feel my boss is looking for, not an everyday assistant! I'm trying to learn new things but I really feel out of my depth with this one.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions. It's the only way you'll learn. Just make sure you're only asking if you can't find the answer yourself. I'm sure your boss would rather you asked than did things wrong or not up to a good standard. I'm sure your boss will tell you if you aren't doing as expected so don't worry about what she's looking for. Keep going and I'm sure you'll learn the ropes soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest