The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Any freshers who are also IB graduates?

How did your results go?

Scroll to see replies

I got in, so, not bad, I'd say. :smile: Got 3 core points, which really surprised me, because I hated TOK. What about you?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I'm starting this september :redface:
Pray for me :cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
I'm starting this september :redface:
Pray for me :cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2:

Good luck! :h: What subjects did you pick?
Original post by Praetorian_X
Good luck! :h: What subjects did you pick?

I want to do medicine.
Taking
Bio HL
Chem HL
Geo HL
Arab ab initio SL
English Lit SL
Maths SL
are they good enough for med? What tips do you have for me?! What shall i pick as a research topic for EE,?and what do you do in TOK?
I want to do medicine.
Taking
Bio HL
Chem HL
Geo HL
Arab ab initio SL
English Lit SL
Maths SL
are they good enough for med? What tips do you have for me?! What shall i pick as a research topic for EE,?and what do you do in TOK?

They are fine for med ^^ You've picked challenging highers, for sure. Are you doing Maths SL or Maths Studies SL? Maths SL Is supposedly only for if you're going to a European University, since they don't recognise Maths Studies. If you're going to university in England, you may as well make things easier for yourself and take Maths Studies.

Research topic/subject for EE doesn't matter, to be honest, just has be to something you will enjoy doing the research for. Though if you do it in Biology, it gives you something extra to write about your personal statement, and that's always a plus! Remember, it doesn't have to be anything new, or groundbreaking, a lot of the marks aren't even in the content, they're in the formatting.

You don't do anything in TOK, hahahaha. It's a bit like philosophy. You will most probably just be doing practice presentations/essays on questions like: '"The knower's perspective is essential in the pursuit of knowledge" To what extent do you agree?' (That was one of the set essays titles this year). You get taught the different "ways of knowing" and the dfferent "areas of knowledge" and you have to refer to them. You also learn about different schools of thought like utilitarianism, because you have to approach the questions objectively from different perspectives... It sounds harder than it is. I wrote the entirety of my TOK Essay on the day of the final deadline in ~4 hours and got an A. :h:
Also, my tip would be to make sure you don't leave all of your coursework to the last minute like I did, it's not worth the stress when you physically do not have enough hours in the day to get all of your coursework completed by the deadline, and then you get sent out of lessons to sit in the computer room and type it and then you go home and type it and don't sleep and you spend your entire existence writing coursework... It was very traumatic. Also, concentrate and actually do work in Year 12. It sounds obvious but I left literally everything to the last few months of Year 13 and it was easily the worst period of my life.
They are fine for med ^^ You've picked challenging highers, for sure. Are you doing Maths SL or Maths Studies SL? Maths SL Is supposedly only for if you're going to a European University, since they don't recognise Maths Studies. If you're going to university in England, you may as well make things easier for yourself and take Maths Studies.

Research topic/subject for EE doesn't matter, to be honest, just has be to something you will enjoy doing the research for. Though if you do it in Biology, it gives you something extra to write about your personal statement, and that's always a plus! Remember, it doesn't have to be anything new, or groundbreaking, a lot of the marks aren't even in the content, they're in the formatting.

You don't do anything in TOK, hahahaha. It's a bit like philosophy. You will most probably just be doing practice presentations/essays on questions like: '"The knower's perspective is essential in the pursuit of knowledge" To what extent do you agree?' (That was one of the set essays titles this year). You get taught the different "ways of knowing" and the dfferent "areas of knowledge" and you have to refer to them. You also learn about different schools of thought like utilitarianism, because you have to approach the questions objectively from different perspectives... It sounds harder than it is. I wrote the entirety of my TOK Essay on the day of the final deadline in ~4 hours and got an A. :h:

I'm taking Maths standard not studies. I cant take studies like 80% of people in my school took studies last yr and non go into medicine :redface:
I enjoy Bio Chem and Geo so it should be fine.
4hr and got an A. Teach me ur ways :adore:

I'm taking Maths standard not studies. I cant take studies like 80% of people in my school took studies last yr and non go into medicine :redface:
I enjoy Bio Chem and Geo so it should be fine.
4hr and got an A. Teach me ur ways :adore:

Depends on the course requirements, if a uni doesn't require maths for a course then you should 100% do Maths Studies and get that free 6/7. As far as I know, Exeter only requests HL Biology specifically. But, whatever you're happy with. :smile:

I would, but I have no idea how I did it either. If the IB teaches you one thing, it's how to bullsh*t efficiently. :biggrin:

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends on the course requirements, if a uni doesn't require maths for a course then you should 100% do Maths Studies and get that free 6/7. As far as I know, Exeter only requests HL Biology specifically. But, whatever you're happy with. :smile:

I would, but I have no idea how I did it either. If the IB teaches you one thing, it's how to bullsh*t efficiently. :biggrin:

UCL. KINGS i think require at least standard :tongue:
Hey i bullshi*tted fake statitsitcs in the case studies in my IGCSE geo mock and got an A*!
UCL. KINGS i think require at least standard :tongue:
Hey i bullshi*tted fake statitsitcs in the case studies in my IGCSE geo mock and got an A*!

Oh, actually, I just had a thought about EE. Some things to consider:

- If you do a science-based EE you have to do an experiment and lots of statistics and analysis, etc.
- Language-based EEs have to be written in the language you chose to write your EE on.
- For English you have to read a piece of literature and analyse it.

English and Humanities based EEs are by far the easiest and least stressful. I did mine in Latin, but it is basically the same concept as an English EE (and you write it in English, not Latin) except with an Ancient Roman/Greek Text. My friends who did science ones had a lot tougher time and had to do far more drafts overall, but that was just my experience.

EDIT; Don't underestimate your workload. There's a lot, and it really ramps up in Year 13. You won't have a social life. Anything you can do to make your life easier / ease your workload is invaluable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh, actually, I just had a thought about EE. Some things to consider:

- If you do a science-based EE you have to do an experiment and lots of statistics and analysis, etc.
- Language-based EEs have to be written in the language you chose to write your EE on.
- For English you have to read a piece of literature and analyse it.

English and Humanities based EEs are by far the easiest and least stressful. I did mine in Latin, but it is basically the same concept as an English EE (and you write it in English, not Latin) except with an Ancient Roman/Greek Text. My friends who did science ones had a lot tougher time and had to do far more drafts overall, but that was just my experience.

I was thinking of doing science stuff :tongue:
I'm also interested in doing EE on Muslim Spain the maths and architect they came up with. Its very interesting cause they came up with algebra :biggrin:
I'm also a IB survivor, got slightly screwed over by EE marking but I'm! So glad that my worrying is over for the summer :smile:
I got in, so, not bad, I'd say. :smile: Got 3 core points, which really surprised me, because I hated TOK. What about you?

Did better than I thought! I was anticipating a failing grade. :colondollar:
Congratulations on the 3 bonus points! What subjects did you do, and what will you be studying?
Original post by meredythclaire
I'm also a IB survivor, got slightly screwed over by EE marking but I'm! So glad that my worrying is over for the summer :smile:

Same! My EE grade was a bit disappointing as well, but I only wanted to get into uni so I'm happy. Are you a Exeter fresher too?
Original post by iallhalocin
Did better than I thought! I was anticipating a failing grade. :colondollar:
Congratulations on the 3 bonus points! What subjects did you do, and what will you be studying?

I did HL English, History, and Latin, and SL Maths Studies, Classical Greek and Roman Studies, and Biology. :smile: I'm doing Classics. Have you applied for accomodation yet? What subject are you doing?
I did HL English, History, and Latin, and SL Maths Studies, Classical Greek and Roman Studies, and Biology. :smile: I'm doing Classics. Have you applied for accomodation yet? What subject are you doing?

I literally just got my accommodation offer! What about you? I'm doing Management with Marketing with Industrial Placement.
Same! My EE grade was a bit disappointing as well, but I only wanted to get into uni so I'm happy. Are you a Exeter fresher too?

Yeah, I'm so excited! What are you studying?
Original post by meredythclaire
Yeah, I'm so excited! What are you studying?

Management with Marketing! Just got my accommodation offer, so exciting!
Management with Marketing! Just got my accommodation offer, so exciting!

I got my accommodation offer too, I'm going to be in Birks Grange self-catered. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending