The Student Room Group

how necessary is it for me to be in the country for results day?

i've booked a flight back to the UK shortly before results day, but i'm considering extending my trip because i'm fairly sure (having read unofficial mark schemes and worked out rough UMS totals for all of my subjects) that i have made my firm offer. there's obviously always a chance that i haven't, and i'd want to be in the UK to be able to ring up universities, negotiate, or find another place on the spot if i needed to, but is it possible to do all that from abroad? and how would i receive my results if i'm away on results day? is it too risky? obviously i can check track from anywhere in the world, so i'm wondering if it's worth coming back early just for the one day
(edited 7 years ago)
The mighty SHALL fall!
You can check track anywhere with an Internet connection but if you're calling Universities about clearing from abroad, bear in mind it can get expensive when you consider roaming charges and hold times.

Make sure you're also able to contact your college in the event of needing a remark.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You can check track anywhere with an Internet connection but if you're calling Universities about clearing from abroad with hold times, bear in mind it can get very expensive.
Make sure you're also able to contact your college in the event of needing a remark.

In that case, it's probably best to just be in the UK then.
Original post by tanyapotter
In that case, it's probably best to just be in the UK then.

Your results will probably be emailed to you if you're abroad by your sixth form and you will get your University decision 8:00am on results day.

Full track won't open till 15:00 and I would suggest you take the time to consider your choice carefully if you do decide to use Clearing.

Depending on what your results day situation is, one day is not a long time at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tanyapotter
i've booked a flight back to the UK shortly before results day, but i'm considering extending my trip because i'm fairly sure (having read unofficial mark schemes and worked out rough UMS totals for all of my subjects) that i have made my firm offer. there's obviously always a chance that i haven't, and i'd want to be in the UK to be able to ring up universities, negotiate, or find another place on the spot if i needed to, but is it possible to do all that from abroad? and how would i receive my results if i'm away on results day? is it too risky? obviously i can check track from anywhere in the world, so i'm wondering if it's worth coming back early just for the one day

It depends. If your Plan B is to go through Clearing then it's probably best to stay in the UK. But another plan would be to take a gap year and reapply with grades in hand to courses/universities you've actually had a chance to properly consider.

In that case there's no need to hurry back from your trip abroad...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
It depends. If your Plan B is to go through Clearing then it's probably best to stay in the UK. But another plan would be to take a gap year and reapply with grades in hand to courses/universities you've actually had a chance to properly consider.

In that case there's no need to hurry back from your trip abroad...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true. My (rather unrealistic) plan C would have been to give my firm university a call and beg for a place if I've missed my offer by a really small amount, and provide them with UMS details and stuff, but given how unlikely it is that they'll accept someone they've already rejected, I don't think it'd be worth it. I really don't want to use clearing, either.

Having said that, I seriously don't think I've missed my offer anyway so I don't know if I should take the risk :/ Back to square one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending