The Student Room Group
University of York
York

History

Hiya I'm starting uni of York in September and was just looking at the course content for my first year. I'm wondering if any current York students can offer some insight on the period topics we have to pick from in the first term? There's quite a lot! Are there any that are considered better than others? Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abi-28
Hiya I'm starting uni of York in September and was just looking at the course content for my first year. I'm wondering if any current York students can offer some insight on the period topics we have to pick from in the first term? There's quite a lot! Are there any that are considered better than others? Thanks!

Hello,

Jamie, a current History student at York, has been blogging about History at York, you can read his blog here:
http://blogs.york.ac.uk/student-voices/author/jw1661/

You can also use the Leave a Reply option below each post to ask him questions too.

Mark
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Abi-28

Hi Abi :smile:

I'm Jamie that Mark mentioned above. Honestly, it doesn't matter what Period Topic you choose! The Period Topic is more of a bridge topic to help you make the transition from studying your A Levels to learning to study at degree level. My best advice is pick something that interests you! I chose the Nations and Nationalisms in Europe one as that was what interested me, but I know plenty of people who chose other options. It honestly doesn't matter - it's your first year, so it doesn't count to your overall degree mark, so if there's something that looks interesting for you, even if you've never studied it before, then do it!

That's the best advice I can give as a current student, and my friends will agree with me :smile:

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Jamie
Reply 3
Hi Jamie :smile:

Thanks for replying. I've just got a few more questions if that's ok! Do we have to buy any course books or will the library be good enough? And do you know where history is mainly based on campus or does it change around? Also what's the history society like- Do they organise socials and trips or not so much? :smile:

I was also wondering if there's a 'best' day to move in at the start of uni? Like do most people move in on Friday, Saturday etc...

I probably sound really keen lol! I'm actually a little nervous because I've got an unconditional offer (I'm on a gap year) so I've definitely got a place in September and want to know what to expect! :smile:

(Also thanks Mark for the link :smile: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Abi-28
Hi Jamie :smile:

Thanks for replying. I've just got a few more questions if that's ok! Do we have to buy any course books or will the library be good enough? And do you know where history is mainly based on campus or does it change around? Also what's the history society like- Do they organise socials and trips or not so much? :smile:

I was also wondering if there's a 'best' day to move in at the start of uni? Like do most people move in on Friday, Saturday etc...

I probably sound really keen lol! I'm actually a little nervous because I've got an unconditional offer (I'm on a gap year) so I've definitely got a place in September and want to know what to expect! :smile:

(Also thanks Mark for the link :smile: )

It's no problem at all Abi! :smile: Generally the Library will be good enough. Whilst you'll have some optional Preliminary Reading attached to your module descriptions to do if you want to get a head-start on the module, you won't get a specific list until your Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) is updated at the start of term, so it's hard to buy books in advance anyway. If you do want to buy books though (particularly the Preliminary Readings to get a head start), you can do, however, it's not necessary. If you are in the city centre, look for the Amnesty and Oxfam bookshops as a lot of students donate their unneeded books from previous years there :smile:Even though the History Department itself is based in Vanbrugh College, you will hardly ever be there. Because History is so large, we're usually in the Physics Building and Derwent College for lectures as they have large lecture theatres, whilst seminars are either in James, Derwent, or Vanbrugh. This year it will change as we've got the new Spring Lane Building coming in, and most of my timetable for next year is based there :smile:
As for History Soc, they put on several socials every term, as well as events such as 'meet the tutors' where you get to have drinks with your lecturers :smile:. I know the committee very well, and they try to get as many first years involved as possible. In terms of trips, this year they went to Budapest. Annoyingly I didn't have my passport renewed in time (my own fault!) so I couldn't go, however, I know they are thinking of what they can do for this coming year now.With moving in, when you get your accommodation confirmed you'll be given a specific day to move in on as they stagger the moving in dates to prevent everyone moving in at once, and therefore stopping the inevitable chaos and clogging up that everyone at once would cause! Don't worry about the questions! I'm always happy to answer them! :smile: Hope this helps, and as always, please feel free to ask more :smile:Jamie
Reply 5
Thanks for all the info Jamie! :smile: I might have a look at the preliminary reading but if it's not necessary then that's fab - means less work over the summer! I guess most of history is in Heslingston West so (if your accommodation's also there) it's all very walkable? Also the history soc sounds pretty active compared to other unis I looked at so that's good- aww it's a shame about your passport though!

One thing that I'm a little worried about is that my birthday's in the middle of fresher's week and idk if that'll be really fun, or if I'll be a little sad because my friends are back home. Do you know anyone who had that and maybe how it went for them? But on a happier note can you recommend some of the best things to do in York and maybe some of the best pubs? I've heard York has a pub for everyday of the year lol :smile: Abi
I've been waiting for a thread like this about history from York for ages so thanks Abi. I've got a conditional from York and hopefully I can get the grades so I can go in September. Where can you find the module descriptions as I've had a look on the York applicant 2016 login site and I can't find it there. Josh
Reply 7
Original post by Abi-28
Thanks for all the info Jamie! :smile: I might have a look at the preliminary reading but if it's not necessary then that's fab - means less work over the summer! I guess most of history is in Heslingston West so (if your accommodation's also there) it's all very walkable? Also the history soc sounds pretty active compared to other unis I looked at so that's good- aww it's a shame about your passport though!

One thing that I'm a little worried about is that my birthday's in the middle of fresher's week and idk if that'll be really fun, or if I'll be a little sad because my friends are back home. Do you know anyone who had that and maybe how it went for them? But on a happier note can you recommend some of the best things to do in York and maybe some of the best pubs? I've heard York has a pub for everyday of the year lol :smile: Abi

History is pretty much almost all taught on Hes West unless you choose some of the medieval modules in second and third year that are based in King's Manor. In any case, there's a direct bus to King's Manor (Number 56), and it's not too far to walk from the main busses from the uni into town :smile: Honestly, the campus is very small and compact - have a look on Google maps as we've got Streetview - and if you're on Hes West it shouldn't take you more than fifteen minutes to get to lectures or seminars :smile: If you have any other questions about History Soc give me a chance and I'll ask the committee for you :smile:I honestly wouldn't worry about your birthday being during Freshers :smile: As a STYC last year, one of the things we do with the Freshers is try and get you to get to meet people during your Freshers. In any case, you're probably going out with the rest of your flat, so it's no worries :smile: Pubs: My favourite five are House of Trembling Madness in the city centre; Rook and Gaskill on Lawrence Street; The Victoria on Heslington Road; York Tap on the railway station; and, closer to campus, The Deramore in Heslington. If you love pubs, join Real Ale Soc during Freshers Fair! It's the other main society I'm involved with haha.
Original post by JDCarr1998

I've been waiting for a thread like this about history from York for ages so thanks Abi. I've got a conditional from York and hopefully I can get the grades so I can go in September. Where can you find the module descriptions as I've had a look on the York applicant 2016 login site and I can't find it there. Josh Hi Josh :smile: I don't know if they've changed it since I applied, but we got sent them when our offers were confirmed. There's some descriptions here of what's been offered before, however, they change every year. You do get time to read through your choices before you submit them :smile: But it is worth having a look at the sort of things that have been offered before as we do get similar ones running even if a specific one isn't :smile:Hope this helps :smile:Jamie
Reply 8
Original post by Jwarner95
History is pretty much almost all taught on Hes West unless you choose some of the medieval modules in second and third year that are based in King's Manor. In any case, there's a direct bus to King's Manor (Number 56), and it's not too far to walk from the main busses from the uni into town :smile: Honestly, the campus is very small and compact - have a look on Google maps as we've got Streetview - and if you're on Hes West it shouldn't take you more than fifteen minutes to get to lectures or seminars :smile: If you have any other questions about History Soc give me a chance and I'll ask the committee for you :smile:I honestly wouldn't worry about your birthday being during Freshers :smile: As a STYC last year, one of the things we do with the Freshers is try and get you to get to meet people during your Freshers. In any case, you're probably going out with the rest of your flat, so it's no worries :smile: Pubs: My favourite five are House of Trembling Madness in the city centre; Rook and Gaskill on Lawrence Street; The Victoria on Heslington Road; York Tap on the railway station; and, closer to campus, The Deramore in Heslington. If you love pubs, join Real Ale Soc during Freshers Fair! It's the other main society I'm involved with haha.

Jamie you're fab with the responses! :smile: I didn't think of looking on google maps for the campus map so I'll have to check that out. As for the history soc, this might sound a bit clueless but what sorts of things do you guys do in it? Is it mainly organising events? And the real ale society sounds like as good excuse as any to go out drinking hahaha :smile: And yes I'd normally pick pubs over clubs so York was a good choice there I think! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by JDCarr1998
I've been waiting for a thread like this about history from York for ages so thanks Abi. I've got a conditional from York and hopefully I can get the grades so I can go in September. Where can you find the module descriptions as I've had a look on the York applicant 2016 login site and I can't find it there. Josh

And your welcome josh :smile: I got all my info on the course from the link Jamie sent ^ and also here: http://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/ba-history/#content_year_1 (under the links you'll get the preliminary reading) Abi :smile:
Original post by Abi-28
Jamie you're fab with the responses! :smile: I didn't think of looking on google maps for the campus map so I'll have to check that out. As for the history soc, this might sound a bit clueless but what sorts of things do you guys do in it? Is it mainly organising events? And the real ale society sounds like as good excuse as any to go out drinking hahaha :smile: And yes I'd normally pick pubs over clubs so York was a good choice there I think! :smile:

Ah it's no problem at all! :smile: One thing to bare in mind is that the Streetview images are a couple of years old now, so don't have some of the redevelopments that have happened on Hes West and don't have Constantine College on Hes East.

For History Soc, we do Meet the Tutors, usually at the start of the year or around January time where you get to meet some of the tutors one-on-one to discuss their career, interests, or just general things, all over free wine (worth going for that if anything...). The socials are mostly themed nights to clubs, such as historical periods (personal advice from experience - don't wear a toga when it's raining in November...) or historical characters, as well as just general nights out; and of course formals at Christmas and in the summer :smile: Last year I think the Soc team tried to do an event every 2 - 3 weeks, and they were all pretty good :smile: They also organise events to meet alumni to discuss how their careers have gone, and how they've used their degrees; and have guests speakers visit for an informal evening. Last year, the one I remember was Adam Hart Davis of What the Romans Did for Us and I'm sure we also had one from Horrible Histories come along too :smile: Oh, and the trips of course...

If you love pubs then you're more than welcome at Real Ale Soc :smile: Even if you're not big into ale (though if you are that's an enormous bonus) you're more than welcome to come along just to enjoy the atmosphere of traditional pubs :smile: My housemate is on the committee of that, so can try and find out what they've got planned if you like?

The clubs in York are alright. They're not the same as in a city like Leeds or Manchester, but they're generally decent. It's a shame that my favourite, The Duchess, has closed this year :frown: Fibbers and Salvation are probably my other two personal favourites. On student nights they're pretty cheap too (avoid town on Saturday at all costs...) :smile:Jamie
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Ah it's no problem at all! :smile: One thing to bare in mind is that the Streetview images are a couple of years old now, so don't have some of the redevelopments that have happened on Hes West and don't have Constantine College on Hes East.

For History Soc, we do Meet the Tutors, usually at the start of the year or around January time where you get to meet some of the tutors one-on-one to discuss their career, interests, or just general things, all over free wine (worth going for that if anything...). The socials are mostly themed nights to clubs, such as historical periods (personal advice from experience - don't wear a toga when it's raining in November...) or historical characters, as well as just general nights out; and of course formals at Christmas and in the summer :smile: Last year I think the Soc team tried to do an event every 2 - 3 weeks, and they were all pretty good :smile: They also organise events to meet alumni to discuss how their careers have gone, and how they've used their degrees; and have guests speakers visit for an informal evening. Last year, the one I remember was Adam Hart Davis of What the Romans Did for Us and I'm sure we also had one from Horrible Histories come along too :smile: Oh, and the trips of course...

If you love pubs then you're more than welcome at Real Ale Soc :smile: Even if you're not big into ale (though if you are that's an enormous bonus) you're more than welcome to come along just to enjoy the atmosphere of traditional pubs :smile: My housemate is on the committee of that, so can try and find out what they've got planned if you like?

The clubs in York are alright. They're not the same as in a city like Leeds or Manchester, but they're generally decent. It's a shame that my favourite, The Duchess, has closed this year :frown: Fibbers and Salvation are probably my other two personal favourites. On student nights they're pretty cheap too (avoid town on Saturday at all costs...) :smile:Jamie

Oops I forgot to reply! History Soc events sound pretty fun! I'll take your word on the wearing a toga thing lol :smile: Also thanks for the invite to the ale soc- I'll probably just wait until freshers fair (where I'll most likely end up signing up for everything anyway! hahaha), but I'll keep an eye out for you guys. :smile: And as for the clubs, I'm sure I'll be happy with them - the ones I've got at home aren't flashy so my standards aren't very high! :smile: What are the best nights to go into town? (Skipping Saturday of course haha) Abi :smile:
Original post by Abi-28
Oops I forgot to reply! History Soc events sound pretty fun! I'll take your word on the wearing a toga thing lol :smile: Also thanks for the invite to the ale soc- I'll probably just wait until freshers fair (where I'll most likely end up signing up for everything anyway! hahaha), but I'll keep an eye out for you guys. :smile: And as for the clubs, I'm sure I'll be happy with them - the ones I've got at home aren't flashy so my standards aren't very high! :smile: What are the best nights to go into town? (Skipping Saturday of course haha) Abi :smile:

Ah freshers' fair... Prepare to sign up for every society and then having them clog up your inbox for the next three years. I can't even remember signing up for half of mine... There's nothing really wrong with the clubs, they're just small if you're used to clubbing in a large city. Certainly their better than the dives around where I come from! In terms of the YUSU nights, just try them all and see what you like.

Apart from Salvation on Wednesdays, which is aimed at sport, they're all pretty standard club nights, just with cheaper drinks deals. You'll find which ones you like and don't.Apart from the YUSU nights, the other main (unofficial) UoY club night (students only) was Phat Fridays at The Duchess, but Duchess has closed now and it's moving to Mansion, so I'll have to see what it's like in September.

Also on Friday's Salvation do another student night, mainly aimed at YSJ called Koh Samui (don't expect a fancy makeover, it just seems to have that name for the cocktail buckets), but quite a few Uni of York people go too.It's alright - drinks are pretty cheap if you fancy spending Saturday with a storming headache in bed haha. There's also a few other YSJ nights that Uni of York students can go to, but I haven't really been to them aside from one or two Skint Tuesdays outside of the UoY term. Fibbers and places like Drawing Board during the week have their own events, but I haven't really been to them, so don't know what they are like.

If you just wanted to go for a drink with friends any weekday night is fine really :smile: Most bars/pubs are open seven days a week, and they're usually quiet during weeknights. Most drinks deals are pretty good too - quite a few 2-4-1 cocktail offers in places like Dusk (the names of their cocktails make no sense at all, but I recommend the Milky Bar Kid). Lowther always has cheap student deals on during the week (trebles for a single), and Stone Roses and Parish are always good for predrinks in town. As I said though - avoid Saturday!

Jamie :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Ah freshers' fair... Prepare to sign up for every society and then having them clog up your inbox for the next three years. I can't even remember signing up for half of mine... There's nothing really wrong with the clubs, they're just small if you're used to clubbing in a large city. Certainly their better than the dives around where I come from! In terms of the YUSU nights, just try them all and see what you like.

Apart from Salvation on Wednesdays, which is aimed at sport, they're all pretty standard club nights, just with cheaper drinks deals. You'll find which ones you like and don't.Apart from the YUSU nights, the other main (unofficial) UoY club night (students only) was Phat Fridays at The Duchess, but Duchess has closed now and it's moving to Mansion, so I'll have to see what it's like in September.

Also on Friday's Salvation do another student night, mainly aimed at YSJ called Koh Samui (don't expect a fancy makeover, it just seems to have that name for the cocktail buckets), but quite a few Uni of York people go too.It's alright - drinks are pretty cheap if you fancy spending Saturday with a storming headache in bed haha. There's also a few other YSJ nights that Uni of York students can go to, but I haven't really been to them aside from one or two Skint Tuesdays outside of the UoY term. Fibbers and places like Drawing Board during the week have their own events, but I haven't really been to them, so don't know what they are like.

If you just wanted to go for a drink with friends any weekday night is fine really :smile: Most bars/pubs are open seven days a week, and they're usually quiet during weeknights. Most drinks deals are pretty good too - quite a few 2-4-1 cocktail offers in places like Dusk (the names of their cocktails make no sense at all, but I recommend the Milky Bar Kid). Lowther always has cheap student deals on during the week (trebles for a single), and Stone Roses and Parish are always good for predrinks in town. As I said though - avoid Saturday!

Jamie :smile:

Hahaha yep that's the plan for freshers fair! And all the clubs sound decent! But I guess that's the perks of living in a student city- you get lots of offers! That'll make a nice change from how expensive it can be here :smile: I was also wondering if it's worth joining the gym in York? Is it pretty good for the price? And which bus pass would you recommend getting? Last question haha, did you find there was a pretty big difference between A level and university level for history? I don't know if I'll be a bit out of practice from taking a year out... Abi :smile:
Original post by Abi-28
Hahaha yep that's the plan for freshers fair! And all the clubs sound decent! But I guess that's the perks of living in a student city- you get lots of offers! That'll make a nice change from how expensive it can be here :smile: I was also wondering if it's worth joining the gym in York? Is it pretty good for the price? And which bus pass would you recommend getting? Last question haha, did you find there was a pretty big difference between A level and university level for history? I don't know if I'll be a bit out of practice from taking a year out... Abi :smile:

About the gym - I don't really know exactly what it's like to be honest. I did intend to join it this year (and the year before), but let's just say my good intentions didn't last long... My friends mostly seem to use the Heslington West gym behind James College, and they say it's pretty good. It's open during Fresher's Fair for you to have a look around anyway :smile: The two people I know that use York Sport's Village (i.e. the Heslington East gym) enjoy it, though it is more expensive than the Hes West one, though it is bigger with more facilities.

When I was a fresher two years ago, we got given the Unibus Tripper Card for the 44, which was, at the time, the official University service. I don't know what the new Yorkie Card is like as I don't have one (I don't live on a campus bus route in my second/third year house), and personally I prefer the 44 with USB charging and top drivers. When I was a STYC last year I think of all my freshers were given a Yorkie Card with a certain number of trips, but I don't know how many used them after they ran out. Just see how often you find yourself using the bus before you buy one is my advice :smile:

There is a jump between A Level and university-level history. University level is much more detailed, along with 'joy' of referencing etc. First year does address this though - it's why it doesn't count towards your overall mark :smile: Your period topic is, in effect, a bridge A Level/University topic where you get an A Level style topic, but you learn the practice of degree level history through doing it, if that makes sense? Basically, it's not too broad, nor narrow in terms of its content, but you learn how to read and write at a university level through doing it. I don't think taking a year out will be a disadvantage to you at all :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:
GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW EVERYONE! :smile::smile:

If you have any questions about anything to do with York and History please do keep asking! :smile:

All the best!
Jamie
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW EVERYONE! :smile::smile:

If you have any questions about anything to do with York and History please do keep asking! :smile:

All the best!
Jamie

Hi. I've got a place to study History at York this September. I've been offered accomadation in Halifax college (which I've accepted) and I was wondering whether this college is far from the History lectures and seminars? As you've said above, the campus is quite compact, so do you think it really matters where your college is? Thanks! Teresa.
Original post by tesa
Hi. I've got a place to study History at York this September. I've been offered accomadation in Halifax college (which I've accepted) and I was wondering whether this college is far from the History lectures and seminars? As you've said above, the campus is quite compact, so do you think it really matters where your college is? Thanks! Teresa.

Congratulations Teresa! :smile:

Generally the history lectures tend to either be in Physics, Derwent's Hendrix Hall, or from this year, they should start to be in the new Spring Lane building. All of them are about at 10 - 15 minute walk from Halifax - just cross the road by the main entrance to the road to Halifax and keep going straight on past the portacabins for Physics, or cut through the car park and go behind the physics buildings to end up by the Health Centre for Derwent and Spring Lane. A lot of the seminars tended to be in those portacabins, but now that Spring Lane is opening they should start moving over there :smile:

I don't really know Halifax that well, but from when I have ended up over there I know that there's a short-cut from by Saint Lawrence Court if you're in that accommodation. First and the University run a free bus service in term time called UB1 every half-hour which goes from Halifax to Physics, Heslington Hall, Chemistry and then Hes East if it's tipping down or you can't be bothered to walk :smile:

It honestly doesn't matter where your college is. There's jokes about Halifax being in the middle of nowhere, but that's only by York's standards (i.e. it's still close to campus). It's only a 10 - 15 minute work at most, and I know people in other universities who have had to walk much further than that to get to lectures!

Best wishes!
Jamie
Reply 18
Thank you! So you don't think being in Halifax is a problem even if your coursemates are in the centre of campus? I just don't want to fall into the trap of only hanging out with people from Halifax. Thank you again.

Quick Reply

Latest