The Student Room Group

Is an industrial year worth it for Computer Science?

I've recently received an offer for G400 CompSci after requesting a change and was wondering whether or not an industrial year would be worth it. I've been told by many sites that these placements are often valuable and in comparison to non-placement graduates, typically have a higher starting salary (between £3,000 - 5,000, which isn't exactly a big deal). However, it would mean that I would be studying for an extra year which I prefer not to do. Moreover, I would be paying for an extra year (not sure if it's the full £9000 for the industrial year) out of my pocket, which I would rather not do unless it'll make a significant difference.

Can someone with experience of this advise me or share their experiences with industrial years, please?

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by _howl
I've recently received an offer for G400 CompSci after requesting a change and was wondering whether or not an industrial year would be worth it. I've been told by many sites that these placements are often valuable and in comparison to non-placement graduates and typically have a higher starting salary (between £3,000 - 5,000, which isn't exactly a big deal). However, it would mean that I would be studying for an extra year which I prefer not to do. Moreover, I would be paying for an extra year (not sure if it's the full £9000 for the industrial year) out of my pocket, which I would rather not do unless it'll make a significant difference.

Can someone with experience of this advise me or share their experiences with industrial years, please?

Thank you!

You can decide nearer the time - placement years are optional.

And yes, you will have a tuition fee to pay but it is significantly reduced, and you are also entitled to a reduced level of maintenance loan as well. Usually you will earn a reasonable salary during the year - so it will be a financially positive thing.
Industrial placements are invaluable, there's no doubt about it. Experience is key to getting a good job after you graduate especially if you want to stay in the field. You can opt out of it once you're at uni though check when the cut off is. Also check if SFE will pay the fee for the extra year. I don't think it's the full fee, it may be half or less. You'll just graduate a year after everyone else which isn't a big deal really, in the grad scheme of things.
Original post by _howl
I've recently received an offer for G400 CompSci after requesting a change and was wondering whether or not an industrial year would be worth it. I've been told by many sites that these placements are often valuable and in comparison to non-placement graduates, typically have a higher starting salary (between £3,000 - 5,000, which isn't exactly a big deal). However, it would mean that I would be studying for an extra year which I prefer not to do. Moreover, I would be paying for an extra year (not sure if it's the full £9000 for the industrial year) out of my pocket, which I would rather not do unless it'll make a significant difference.

Thank you!

So your reason to reject is because it only pays back in 3-4 years?
Have you ever though experience might be a leetle bit useful in the computer sector, unless ofc you already have plenty?
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
I don't think it's the full fee, it may be half or less.

It's typically 20%. :smile:
Original post by jneill
It's typically 20%. :smile:

I paid 50% so it varies.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Have you ever though experience might be a leetle bit useful in the computer sector, unless ofc you already have plenty?

But that's the thing, it pays back immediately. The tuition fee for a placment year is low (typically £1800) and the OP will be earning a salary during the year so it's cashflow positive AND they get valuable work experience.

What's not to like :smile:
Reply 7
I paid 50% so it varies.

ooo... which uni/course?

I just quickly checked Bath, L'boro and Exeter. All were 20%
Surrey is lower (approx 12%)
Bristol 15%.

edit: added a couple more unis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
ooo... which uni/course? I just quickly checked Bath and L'boro. Both were 20%...

York, biochem but a few years ago. It's now 15% so it still varies!
Reply 9
York, biochem but a few years ago. It's now 15% so it still varies!

Ah, that would have been when the main fee was already "low" :wink:

But yes it does vary although shouldn't be high, and is more than covered by the salary (and SFE if needed).
Original post by jneill
But that's the thing, it pays back immediately. The tuition fee for a placment year is low (typically £1800) and the OP will be earning a salary during the year so it's cashflow positive AND they get valuable work experience.

Maybe I was being sarcastic. I was taken aback by the reasoning and conclusion. I was too depressed to take it any further. Complete no brainer for me, perhaps he cna have a year signining on instead....
Reply 11
Maybe I was being sarcastic. I was taken aback by the reasoning and conclusion. I was too depressed to take it any further. Complete no brainer for me, perhaps he cna have a year signining on instead....

I was agreeing :smile:
Reply 12

I'm not denying that experience is useful. I'd rather study for three consecutive years and then go onto working, as opposed to returning to university after my placement is finished, and spending another year/two years studying. I could equally gain experience during the holidays of each year with different companies.
Reply 13
Very worth it. In every subject really.
Reply 14
Original post by jneill

Oh okay, I thought the fees of the placement year wouldn't be considerably less than the full yearly fees...

I suppose that makes sense. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by _howl
I'm not denying that experience is useful. I'd rather study for three consecutive years and then go onto working, as opposed to returning to university after my placement is finished, and spending another year/two years studying. I could equally gain experience during the holidays of each year with different companies.

How do you know you are going to get those placements?
How do you know the quality of work will be comparable?
How do you know you will find it easy to get a job after you graduate?
Why cnat you also get experience when doing your degree anyway?
Why not ask them if you cna change your year so you do the placement at the end of the course? Perhaps theres a reason they have it mid course?

Did you bother going to any open days?

Your life and your choice. Personally id be bothered about my skills and employability. Not as though the IT industry has a reputation or anything.
Original post by _howl

Experience is essential and a lot of people who do a year in industry end up employed by the company at the end of their degree. So you have the added bonus of guaranteed employment after your degree, which is incredibly rare
If you were looking through peopls cv's who woyld you be interested in and invite for interview? the one with a years placment or the one without?
The only risk is if you get a rubbish placement.
Reply 18
How do you know you are going to get those placements?
How do you know the quality of work will be comparable?
How do you know you will find it easy to get a job after you graduate?
Why cnat you also get experience when doing your degree anyway?
Why not ask them if you cna change your year so you do the placement at the end of the course? Perhaps theres a reason they have it mid course?

Did you bother going to any open days?

Your life and your choice. Personally id be bothered about my skills and employability. Not as though the IT industry has a reputation or anything.

Contacts.
I don't know yet. Though, I'll get varied experiences and get a taste of what working in different sectors of IT is like.
Contacts and the level of my degree.
It's not that I definitely don't want to, but I want to step out of the academic world and get into work faster. I still have a year to decide.
Possibly.

The whole purpose of me posting this thread is because of my concern about employability...
Original post by jneill
Ah, that would have been when the main fee was already "low" :wink:

But yes it does vary although shouldn't be high, and is more than covered by the salary (and SFE if needed).

Not quite. I was an international student so there was nothing low about my fees!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending