The Student Room Group

Applying for jobs after uni

I've been applying for jobs frequently since I finished uni in June. I can't even get temporary summer work and all my responses are that I'm 'currently an unsuitable fit for what they have in mind'

I have previous work experience, my CV is well written along with my cover letters.

Is anyone else having problems applying for jobs? Or has anyone who finishes uni got one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I got a job after I graduated but it was a Houskeeeping job on a casual contact through someone I know but it was only a short term thing. I then went to an agency to get work and got work in a factory for half a year, in which they made us redundant as they are moving everything to China now. I've had a few interviews here and there but always get the "someone else has something more" or "not enough experience". I've got an interview at a museum next week and have been considering going back to the housekeeping job again while I look further but...

I think luck plays a big part of everything these days. Just gotta keep applying and keep yourself feeling positive even when it's hard. I think people think the degree is the hard part but I'm thinking getting on the career ladder in a job you actually want to do is the hardest part.
Original post by snowystarks
I've been applying for jobs frequently since I finished uni in June. I can't even get temporary summer work and all my responses are that I'm 'currently an unsuitable fit for what they have in mind'

I have previous work experience, my CV is well written along with my cover letters.

Is anyone else having problems applying for jobs? Or has anyone who finishes uni got one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who has said your CV and cover letters are well written? Do you tailor each application showing your enthusiasm for the job area? Are you applying to places where you meet the essential criteria?
Original post by jelly1000
Who has said your CV and cover letters are well written? Do you tailor each application showing your enthusiasm for the job area? Are you applying to places where you meet the essential criteria?

Yes I show enthusiasm and tailor them to the individual job positions. My dad has a lot of experience with CVs so he's made sure mine is good, and I've just asked one company who declined me for feedback. They said my CV looks very good but there's others who applied with more experience.

I have admin experience but because everyone else applies to the same jobs it just feels like my experience isn't enough, especially since they were only a few months long over the summer..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I show enthusiasm and tailor them to the individual job positions. My dad has a lot of experience with CVs so he's made sure mine is good, and I've just asked one company who declined me for feedback. They said my CV looks very good but there's others who applied with more experience.

I have admin experience but because everyone else applies to the same jobs it just feels like my experience isn't enough, especially since they were only a few months long over the summer..

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is worth getting someone else to give your CV & cover letters a look over too- your uni careers dept should still be able to help, its worth seeing if you can email if they are too far to visit now. It is defintley possible to get a job straight after uni, I know many people who have even with just summer work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What sort of jobs are you applying for? I work in customer service and I've just been offered an interview at Booths for a temporary position so I might be able to help you?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm honestly applying for anything. Mainly admin jobs for now (but I guess other people applying have more long term experience). I don't have retail experience so I apply to loads of them but get nothing back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending