The Student Room Group

How does being concerned about spread of Islam in the West make someone far-right?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dingleberry jam
Gordon Brown divulged to Leveson that he inflicted laws based on mediaeval superstitious beliefs on this country against the wishes of even his own cabinet and you haven't even heard about it?

Correct. Which laws?
Usually because the people who are concerned of Islam spreading vote for far right politicians
Original post by Good bloke
Correct. Which laws?

Cannabis.
Cannabis.

You do realise that the use and supply of cannabis was illegal long before Gordon Brown became PM, don't you? Precisely which superstitious belief was he supposedly pandering to?
Reply 84
Original post by KingBradly
So let me get this straight.

Am I correct in thinking that although I support decriminalising drugs; opening drug rehabilitation centres; getting rid of the legal benefits of marriage entirely (so no one is discriminated against); freedom of speech; secularism; publicly funded healthcare, schools, and university; and a welfare system, I'm actually far-right because I have the consistancy to dislike all kinds of traditionalist ultra-conservatism, and don't make an exception for Islam?
Could someone explain how this works? Does far-right just mean "anti-Islam"?

Thats not being far right because for instance,how can i believe in islam when i suppport gay marriage. Youre not far right,your beliefs dont align with islam and therefore think its wrong.
You do realise that the use and supply of cannabis was illegal long before Gordon Brown became PM, don't you? Precisely which superstitious belief was he supposedly pandering to?

Yeah, he reclassified it. I don't know much about presbyterianism i'm afraid so i have no idea. Surprised you hadn't heard about it when its such an imporant issue for you though.
Surprised you hadn't heard about it when its such an imporant issue for you though.

What is a surprise is that you should claim drugs legislation that has been around for decades should have recently been introduced and that they are founded on superstitious beliefs, when those beliefs were invented hundreds or thousands of years before the drugs were developed and used.
What is a surprise is that you should claim drugs legislation that has been around for decades should have recently been introduced and that they are founded on superstitious beliefs, when those beliefs were invented hundreds or thousands of years before the drugs were developed and used.

I'm not really sure what you're arguing about now, Gordon Brown changed laws based upon his religious views, simple as that.

[video="youtube;m3wpDCynyGY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3wpDCynyGY[/video]
I'm not really sure what you're arguing about now, Gordon Brown changed laws based upon his religious views, simple as that.

[video="youtube;m3wpDCynyGY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3wpDCynyGY[/video]

That video makes it clear that Brown has some personal views that some others disagree with. It does not make it clear that he holds them for superstitious reasons.
That video makes it clear that Brown has some personal views that some others disagree with. It does not make it clear that he holds them for superstitious reasons.

He went against all advise in favour of his religious views, pretty clear, not sure why you would defend it. :s-smilie:
He went against all advise in favour of his religious views, pretty clear, not sure why you would defend it. :s-smilie:

I'm not defending anything. You are making a claim that his views are based on religion (and they may be) but the evidence you provide does not back up your assertion in any way.
I'm not defending anything. You are making a claim that his views are based on religion (and they may be) but the evidence you provide does not back up your assertion in any way.

We're talking about Gordon Brown with his infamous Presbyterian conscience talking about evils and his strongly held personal views here, not sure it could be any clearer.
We're talking about Gordon Brown with his infamous Presbyterian conscience talking about evils and his strongly held personal views here, not sure it could be any clearer.

No matter what you think you know about him, that video does not support your assertion that he holds those views for religious reasons.
No matter what you think you know about him, that video does not support your assertion that he holds those views for religious reasons.

Course it supports it, maybe not enough to convince the wilfully ignorant, but hey ho.
Course it supports it, maybe not enough to convince the wilfully ignorant, but hey ho.

I am an atheist and I happen to agree with him on the problems created drinking and gambling, and am undecided about liberalising cannabis. Does that mean I hold those views for religious reasons?

You asserted two things: (a) his views are engendered by religion and (b) he forced his views on his cabinet. You then offered that video as proof. In fact, it supports neither contention, and flatly contradicts the second.
Reply 95
Original post by george_c00per
Usually because the people who are concerned of Islam spreading vote for far right politicians

You really think everyone who has such concerns votes for far right politicians? Bill Maher, who supported Bernie Sanders, or Christopher Hitchens, the self-proclaimed Marxist, or Dawkins, or Sam Harris, or Douglas Murray, or Ayaan Hirsi Ali, or Nick Cohen? You think they're all far-right? They're some of the most famous critics of Islam, and none of them are anywhere near being far-right.
So let me get this straight.

Am I correct in thinking that although I support decriminalising drugs; opening drug rehabilitation centres; getting rid of the legal benefits of marriage entirely (so no one is discriminated against); freedom of speech; secularism; publicly funded healthcare, schools, and university; and a welfare system, I'm actually far-right because I have the consistancy to dislike all kinds of traditionalist ultra-conservatism, and don't make an exception for Islam?
Could someone explain how this works? Does far-right just mean "anti-Islam"?

The longer this type of reaction to genuine concerns happens, the more likely the actual far right will take hold.

We should all stand against all forms of fascism, that includesa worrying large minority of Muslims. Supporting genuine reformers is key.
It depends on why you're concerned, if they're sensible reasons, no that doesn't necessarily make you far right, which is evident in your first post
You really think everyone who has such concerns votes for far right politicians? Bill Maher, who supported Bernie Sanders, or Christopher Hitchens, the self-proclaimed Marxist, or Dawkins, or Sam Harris, or Douglas Murray, or Ayaan Hirsi Ali, or Nick Cohen? You think they're all far-right? They're some of the most famous critics of Islam, and none of them are anywhere near being far-right.

Regardless of where Ayaan Hirsi Ali stands, I think some of her opinions are borderline far-right. It's not that she supports them, but she tends to take a facile approach to things that resembles that of the far-right so much. That said, as I said before, proper criticism of Islam is as left as you can possibly get.
Reply 99
Original post by oShahpo
Regardless of where Ayaan Hirsi Ali stands, I think some of her opinions are borderline far-right. It's not that she supports them, but she tends to take a facile approach to things that resembles that of the far-right so much. That said, as I said before, proper criticism of Islam is as left as you can possibly get.

Which views of her's are far-right?

Quick Reply

Latest