The Student Room Group

Family threatening to disown me, says I lack respect?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
"religious filthy hypocrite"? Bit touchy today aren't we? Oh wait...You're the one that goes about supporting the right wing lot on TSR on islam. They don't like your Hindu cow worshipping Indian brethren either- just wait till they rid of muslims..it'll be your lot next. Pseudo intellectual.

And there's a problem criticising religion? Look whose the touchy one now :wink: The imaginary friend in the sky would be so proud of you babe

See I can't even take you seriously because you're hiding behind the anon function. You poor thing. My heart really bleeds for you and how insecure you really are..
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I've said this too and my mum looked like she wanted to cry and asked me why I would want to shame her like that, after all that she has done for me.

-_-

I get that line so much :|
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I've said this too and my mum looked like she wanted to cry and asked me why I would want to shame her like that, after all that she has done for me.

-_-

she has a point :fyi:

"religious filthy hypocrite"? Bit touchy today aren't we? Oh wait...You're the one that goes about supporting the right wing lot on TSR on islam. They don't like your Hindu cow worshipping Indian brethren either- just wait till they rid of muslims..it'll be your lot next. Pseudo intellectual.

i wish i knew who you were :laugh:
(edited 7 years ago)

Some of the most socially right wing people I have come across on TSR are Muslims. I have come across Muslims on TSR who hold views that wouldn't be out of place among the right leaning members of the Republican party in America such as promoting traditional gender roles, opposing gay marriage, supporting capital punishment, supporting blasphemy laws, opposing secularism and instead opting to mix religion and state etc...
Reply 64
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm leaning to agnosticism atm and if I told my parents they would flip.

But then again, I'd rather be a good person who isn't sure if God exists rather than a religious filthy hypocrite.

Any chance your parents are Hare Krishnas? :beard: They damn well sound like it! :rofl:
Amongst Hindu sects, I've only ever met Hare Krishnas and Swaminarayans who are that "zealous" in their beliefs :lol:
@spv
Original post by Multitalented me
So I had a bit of an argument with my family just because I stood up for my own beliefs & said that I don't like their religion or culture, & I didn't want to live a life that I didn't want just so they could be happy. Then they accuse me of disrespect & threaten to disown me. I honestly feel as if they were being totally unreasonable. They shouldn't be able to have the final word on my major life decisions, if they want to disown me for following the path that I believe will make me most happy then I really don't know what else to say to them. I live in the UK not in their country, why can't they accept that. I'm not dishonoring the family at all just because I like to go out to have a laugh & mix with some white guy/girl friends. Anyone else who can relate at all? It's just so frustrating how unreasonable they are on the issue :colonhash:

I can relate. My mum threw me out twice, but after a few months she was back in contact.
I now do as I please, and although she still makes me feel like a total failure and how I lack respect for them, she understands I won`t come back if a certain limit is reached.
I have graduated and now live totally independently, she may not like it but it`s my life!
Hope that helps x
Original post by TaintedLight
she has a point :fyi:

She has a point to a certain extent and I don't intend to intentionally disrespect my parents, but simply not believing in the same things they believe in is not disrespectful, nor is marrying someone with a different background to mine. It isn't shameful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ODES_PDES
Very upsetting to hear all this. My advice is to buy your time.

Almost certainly not the idiom you were grasping for, but all the same:

Original post by Profesh
Almost certainly not the idiom you were grasping for, but all the same:

What is the idiom then?
Original post by ODES_PDES
What is the idiom then?

To bide one's time.
Original post by Profesh
To bide one's time.

Maybe this was my own idiom
You're a big man uno, just move out.
Nah, **** all the Muslims in here calling OP ungrateful. A child is NOT an investment, nor should they live their lives according to anyone but themselves. Parents should have children because they genuinely want to raise and care for a child, not to impart their own views on their children without concern for them. As a parent, if your love is conditional on the basis that they abide by all your irrational rules, they're not good parents. They're narcissists. And I say that as an Ex-Muslim, with Muslim parents. I love my parents, but its incredibly selfish to raise a child and then leverage the fact that they graciously looked after you when you were helpless. Don't get me wrong, any decent person would look after their parents in old age, but that has nothing to do with other life choices. It doesn't matter how much you try to change your beliefs, it won't work, and if you have parents who will not discuss or listen to you, its going to create a toxic environment.

If its bad enough that it's messing with your mental health, move. If its not, maybe delay that until you are able to (financially).

Posted from TSR Mobile
People 500 years from now are going to look back on us like we look upon the Mayans or Egyptians who sacrifice people for their gods or people who used to drill holes in people's heads when they had a headache to let the bad spirits out.

Religion can be a powerful thing, I get it. But some of these religions/cultures are so prohibiting and limiting life so much. Can't go out, can't be friends with this perfectly nice person, can't marry the perfect person for you. Constantly spied on and shamed, and from experience all for some point scoring contest between peers. This person's son is getting married to a lawyer? I must force mine into one with some doctor I find off the street, because my pride comes before my childrens' lives? Ludicrous.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm leaning to agnosticism atm and if I told my parents they would flip.

But then again, I'd rather be a good person who isn't sure if God exists rather than a religious filthy hypocrite.
This, In can't stand most of my family tbh. They're all too stubborn & judgemental towards people who are a bit different. I get that they hate western culture & that their religion can do no wrong. It's tiring really, I wish they were a bit more open minded & accepting, *sigh*...

Quick Reply

Latest