The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WoodyMKC
That wasn't an argument against vegetarianism or veganism. I was merely answering the OP's question. If I had any inkling this was just another "Veganism is the future! Meat eaters, explain yourselves!" thread I wouldn't have even bothered posting, I've read every argument on every side through the thousands of that type of thread on these forums already and I didn't really care the first time.

I did reply explaining it's not just "how the food chain works" though. So stop moaning and except a thread is the place for debate.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Were they owt like this then I'd be first in line to offer 'em a meaty treat :awesome:
snip

What if they looked like this?

alien___h_r__giger_pitch___by_adonihs-d2xjobm.jpg
Original post by Tigger46
I did reply explaining it's not just "how the food chain works" though. So stop moaning and except a thread is the place for debate.

I'm very aware of and totally accept the fact that this is a place for debate (being told how this forum works by a newbie, smh...), but when there's a new thread about it every day it gets a bit tedious, you know? I thought this thread might have been a bit different and OP probably intended it that way, but of course in come both the militant vegans and the vegan haters to drag the thread down once again :rolleyes:
For me, i don't view cows or animals the same as I do to a human being. Human beings are the people that give me education, feed me, take care of me, and kind to me. Human beings have the potential to make my life better. Animals are cute but I wouldn't change my "way of life" for them. Animals haven't done anything for me. In some undeveloped countries, people kill the animals themselves. It either eat animals and provide for your family or die from starvation. Cows, chicken, fish, and some seafoods to me are food. Animals are animals and people are people.

I don't have a problem with veganism as long as it done safely. People can eat meat and still be healthy.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm very aware of and totally accept the fact that this is a place for debate (being told how this forum works by a newbie, smh...), but when there's a new thread about it every day it gets a bit tedious, you know? I thought this thread might have been a bit different and OP probably intended it that way, but of course in come both the militant vegans and the vegan haters to drag the thread down once again :rolleyes:

What OP said is relevant to philosophical debates about animal rights, and I simply explained my take on that regarding your comment.
Original post by SmileyVibe
For me, i don't view cows or animals the same as I do to a human being. Human beings are the people that give me education, feed me, take care of me, and kind to me. Human beings have the potential to make my life better. Animals are cute but I wouldn't change my "way of life" for them. Animals haven't done anything for me. In some undeveloped countries, people kill the animals themselves. It either eat animals and provide for your family or die from starvation. Cows, chicken, fish, and some seafoods to me are food. Animals are animals and people are people.

I don't have a problem with veganism as long as it done safely. People can eat meat and still be healthy.

How would you feel about eating less intelligent human beings, perhaps a disabled person? As they cannot give you an education, feed you, take care of you. They can, however, be slaughtered for meat. Also, an animal can be kind to you.

Also I love 'newie' being used as an insult, as if rep on TSR actually means anything, I just signed on here to comment on a forum about a grad scheme and enjoy debate as I am Pol grad.
So for dinner today I had a rib-eye steak, a salmon fillet, fried eggs and some broccoli. I think I'm going to vegan hell.

Tasted splendid, was nourishing, am vitamined and energised, lots of protein and omega 3 and good stuff. Yummy. Will eat again tomorrow.
Also I love 'newie' being used as an insult, as if rep on TSR actually means anything, I just signed on here to comment on a forum about a grad scheme and enjoy debate as I am Pol grad.

It wasn't meant as an insult, I just found it laughable how you've very recently signed up and then saw it fit to inform me as to what kind of a forum this is. Anyhow, nothing wrong with enjoying a debate, but as I said, I've seen this topic debated countless times on here and wasn't really interested the first time, so I'm out if that's alright with you :wink:
It's natural for humans to eat animals, we're omnivores.

The only difference is that today the meat comes prepackaged for convenience instead of us running round a forest with a spear or a bow & arrow trying to catch it.
How would you feel about eating less intelligent human beings, perhaps a disabled person? As they cannot give you an education, feed you, take care of you. They can, however, be slaughtered for meat. Also, an animal can be kind to you.

Disabled people are animals!? Really? I thought they were humans like me but you really set me straight.

Disabled people are still part of the homo-spien species. Unless you're saying that they're not...

I was mainly describing the people in my life like my family but its nice to know what you think of disabled people :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
It wasn't meant as an insult, I just found it laughable how you've very recently signed up and then saw it fit to inform me as to what kind of a forum this is. Anyhow, nothing wrong with enjoying a debate, but as I said, I've seen this topic debated countless times on here and wasn't really interested the first time, so I'm out if that's alright with you :wink:

lol fair enough I guess I was being a bit feisty.
Original post by SmileyVibe
Disabled people are animals!? Really? I thought they were humans like me but you really set me straight.

Disabled people are still part of the homo-spien species. Unless you're saying that they're not...

I was mainly describing the people in my life like my family but its nice to know what you think of disabled people :smile:

You've missed the point. Your reasons for why humans are superior are the ones I've listed that some humans do not have the capability of, thus I was wondering whether it was therefore fine to eat them. Yes, they are human and sentient, but animals are sentient too.
You've missed the point. Your reasons for why humans are superior are the ones I've listed that some humans do not have the capability of, thus I was wondering whether it was therefore fine to eat them. Yes, they are human and sentient, but animals are sentient too.

Hmmm... a disabled person in my book is still more superior and of value compared to ... let's say... a dog.
I'm not friends or have any relation to everyone person of the homo spiens species. Do you think any of your family members are exact same or of values to dogs? Do you care more about dogs or your family, friends?

Even animals eat animals so this isn't really something new. It natural for humans to eat animals. You cannot change the nature of a lion or train it to be vegan. Humans can be omnivore or herbivore either way. You may feel guilty eating animals but it doesn't mean everyone else should stop eating meat to mend your guilt. Sorry if I come off rude.
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree that this argument does boil down to, partly, your views surrounding the concept of anthropocentrism (google it).

If someone holds 'green' principles to heart then they will be more likely to be vegetarian/vegan.

People can do as they please.

I do find it odd when some vegetarians eat fish (some even eat chicken on occasion) but whatever.

Personally, we create these animals to eat. I enjoy most meats, i feel it is providing me with a good diet, i do believe we over humanise animals and as long as we don't cause unnecessary harm when slaughtering or treating them then i see no issue.

I bottle fed 5 lambs when i was a littke boy. Foot and mouth killed them. 'Nature', in other words' had them all burnt on the field in front of my house.

I don't think nature had a conscience.

People should stick to their principles etc but should not try and change the world. People can do what they want (excluding breaking 'common' laws)

Personally, i think it will be harder to meet your nutritional needs of you exclude meat.
Staying pretty skinny, eating very cleanly and doing some light exercise will mean you will, quite possibly, live a pretty long life with reduced (not eradicated) risks of major killers. You could still get run over, or shot or get cancer etc.

However, cba with all that. I don't frankly care if i don't make 90. All about memories and enjoyment. Too many variables to care.

Latest