The Student Room Group

Are there any benefits to being religious that can't be got elsewhere?

Poll

What do you believe?

Aimed at both religious and non-religious ppl. Can you think of any benefits that are completely unique to being involved in a particular religion?

Edit: so far no-one has argued there are unique benefits so pretty one-sided atm (I assume the poll responses must not all be genuine then)

Edit2: the poll keeps changing sides, I think we'll need at least 100 votes for it to be conclusive

Some people are getting confused with actual benefits that you can demonstrate, and potential benefits that depend on whether the religion is true or not. This thread is only about actual benefits.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hmm not sure, to be honest. A lot of the benefits you can also get from doing other stuff. I would say that I feel like I am part of an extra community.
Original post by xylas
Aimed at both religious and non-religious ppl. Can you think of any benefits that are completely unique to being involved in a particular religion?

I think they're wasting their time, they can do good deeds without a "God" per se
No. Maybe you could argue it benefits your mind set or whatever. But in the end even if you're not religious, then you're no better or worse than someone who has a religion when you look at the context of benefits from one side or another. Same the other way round
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SuperHuman98
Hmm not sure, to be honest. A lot of the benefits you can also get from doing other stuff. I would say that I feel like I am part of an extra community...

Original post by katherine9609
No. Maybe you could argue it benefits your mind set or whatever...

Are you religious?
(edited 7 years ago)
I can't think of any benefits that are exclusive to religion, no.
Original post by xylas
Are you religious?

No, I see myself as being an average level of religious
Reply 7
Original post by SuperHuman98
No, I see myself as being an average level of religious

Interesting, I would've thought that meant yes.
being religious is not about the advanatges or vice versa !
The two main benefits of religion are the sense of community and the confidence in an afterlife.

The sense of community can be replicated by taking up a hobby.

The confidence in the afterlife translates to not fearing death, but it's probably best not to have this - if you know there's nothing after death, you'll make more of an effort to do everything you can, experience as much as possible.
Reply 10
Original post by Mactotaur
The two main benefits of religion are the sense of community and the confidence in an afterlife.

The sense of community can be replicated by taking up a hobby.

The confidence in the afterlife translates to not fearing death, but it's probably best not to have this - if you know there's nothing after death, you'll make more of an effort to do everything you can, experience as much as possible.

So your answer is essentially there are no unique benefits. Are you religious?

Original post by theBranicAc
being religious is not about the advanatges or vice versa !

I would've expected many to disagree with this but not so far :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xylas
So your answer is essentially there are no unique benefits. Are you religious?

Yes, that is my answer, and no, I'm not religious, though I am very interested in religious mythologies, especially 'dead' religions (Irish Celtic as of late).
Reply 12
Any one believe there are unique benefits?
Reply 13
An eternity with God as opposed to an eternity separated from God.
Reply 14
Original post by Racoon
An eternity with God as opposed to an eternity separated from God.

Anything else? Preferably with evidence...

Where are these other people who voted in the poll but didn't give any reasons!!
Reply 15
Original post by xylas
Anything else? Preferably with evidence...

Where are these other people who voted in the poll but didn't give any reasons!!

I don't know about the others, scared off perhaps :biggrin:

Lets put it this way, even if there were no eternity, if this was all there is, knowing God in your life now makes everything better and everything makes more sense.
There are certain tax exemptions, but they're for the organisation, not the individual.

So if you set up a church, you're fine. If you just follow one, not so much.
Yes. Salvation.
Reply 18
Original post by Racoon
Lets put it this way, even if there were no eternity, if this was all there is, putting your faith in God in your life now makes everything better and everything makes more sense.

fixed
I dunno. I feel religion (and associated beliefs) are just a form of lying to yourself to make you feel better (sorry!). So in that sense, any other lies that you could tell yourselves as part of a group with themes of morality and mortality would come to the same effect

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending