The Student Room Group

What is the problem with immigration

I don't understand what the big deal is
Have you walked through a big city such as Manchester or London recently and seen how many people are already homeless?
Reply 2
Original post by theBranicAc

I invite you to the Royal Berkshire A&E on a typical evening, or to try and get your children into a primary school within 10 miles of your house, or to try and get a council house should you need it.
Reply 3
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Have you walked through a big city such as Manchester or London recently and seen how many people are already homeless?

whats that got to do with immigration ?
Reply 4
Original post by Reue
I invite you to the Royal Berkshire A&E on a typical evening, or to try and get your children into a primary school within 10 miles of your house, or to try and get a council house should you need it.

so they take up many places which will belong to non immigrants
Reply 5
so they take up many places which will belong to non immigrants

Indeed
Original post by Reue
Indeed

So basically, if you were overseas for holiday or whichever reason and had an accident, you'd refuse medical attention so a local could get it instead of you? :erm:
Reply 7
Original post by alexschmalex
So basically, if you were overseas for holiday or whichever reason and had an accident, you'd refuse medical attention so a local could get it instead of you? :erm:

I'd have private travel insurance to cover the costs of my treatment.
Original post by alexschmalex

In that situation he's not an immigrant. I doubt the Brits have anything wrong with people coming to the UK on holiday and getting healthcare.
whats that got to do with immigration ?

Lack of (unskilled) jobs I'm guessing.
Original post by Reue
I invite you to the Royal Berkshire A&E on a typical evening.

Not really. The typical person that turns up to an A&E is an elderly person.

Even if you ignore that issue, the problem is that A&E is understaffed and that has been made worse by capping locum rates and Doctors leaving for better paid jobs abroad. That is only part of the issue.

Would the fall in tax revenue exceed the cost of A&E admissions for immigrants? Probably not.
Reply 11
Original post by DorianGrayism
Not really. The typical person that turns up to an A&E is an elderly person.

That has not been my experience of Royal Berks A&E

Would the fall in tax revenue exceed the cost of A&E admissions for immigrants? Probably not.

I disagree.
The fact is that these people would probably be homeless without immigration, due to a Tory Government that doesn't care about them. Most immigrants are not entitled to benefits until they have lived here for five years anyway, forget them taking up council housing. Also the A&Es and hospitals and most public services in general rely on a worforce which consists of a significant minority of foreign born workers. In short, there is no feasible problem with the sort of immigration that currently takes place in Britain. The only way a problem were to arise is if the immigration is uncontrolled, which it is not. The problem is not the immigrants, it is the insular, entitled, selfish and xenophobic people in Britain who have, amongst other things, voted for Brexit, which is currently ruining this country. The end.
Original post by Reue
That has not been my experience of Royal Berks A&E

I disagree.

Well, everyone has different "experiences". I assume you don't actually work in A&E like I do.

Seriously, this just requires common sense. Obviously, elderly people are more likely to turn up to A&E compared to other age groups.

I will just quote from the House of Commons Library A&E statistics briefing paper 6964: "The elderly are most likely to attend A&E, and are most likely to arrive by ambulance. Of working age adults, those aged 20-24 have the highest rate of attendance at A&E."

I suspect that a vast proportion of those 20-24 year olds are actually just drunk idiots on a Friday night and etc.

Like I said before, an immigrant is younger and therefore, less likely to use A&E. So, their tax contribution, probably exceeds what they take out of the system on healthcare. At least for now anyway.
Reply 14
Well, everyone has different "experiences". I assume you don't actually work in A&E like I do.

Do you work in Royal Berks A&E? Quite a coincidence :smile:

Like I said before, an immigrant is younger and therefore, less likely to use A&E. So, their tax contribution, probably exceeds what they take out of the system on healthcare. At least for now anyway.

And what of the net-drain from a british adult now unemployed and claiming benefits because there is 1 less open vacancy for them?

Either you are trolling or you live in a cave in Tibet
Original post by Reue
Do you work in Royal Berks A&E? Quite a coincidence :smile:

And what of the net-drain from a british adult now unemployed and claiming benefits because there is 1 less open vacancy for them?

Sorry but unemployment is at a record low since 2008. There were plenty of jobs till Brexit came along.

If you cannot get a job ahead of an immigrant that speaks broken English then you are doing something wrong.
Reply 17
If you cannot get a job ahead of an immigrant that speaks broken English then you are doing something wrong.

It's more the amount that these people are willing and able to work for.**
Original post by Reue
It's more the amount that these people are willing and able to work for.**

If poor people are paid more then they are going end up paying for more in the cost of basic goods and services anyway. The only difference is that companies are more likely to go out of business due to high costs of labour.

So will they end up significantly better off? Not really.
People who can't get jobs want someone to blame. If you look at immigration stats you'll see that the places most upset about immigrants have the lowest number of them.

I live in a constituency where UKIP almost won, but most of these idiots have never met an immigrant. There are very, very few around here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending