The Student Room Group

Is it appropriate to ask what a guy does for a living...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
It's not about the job, it's about what you want out of life. I tend to be attracted to independent, driven, competitive people. Women that strive to be the very best they can be. I'm just saying you don't tend to meet people like that that are long term minimum wage workers.

If, since 16 you've been at the same job, or at the same level doing the same thing, it speaks to me that, well, you're not really that driven/ambitious? And there is nothing wrong with that! I guess some people their reasons. I've met amazing women who have given up everything to care for ill family members and have therefore stunted their own career development etc. But they are few and far between.

Remember this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to take away anything from these people, or make out like they're undesirable.

I'm not working class, but I'm from a single parent background. I don't get what your point is?

Yep, I agree. I just enjoy people who are passionate about what they do for a living.

That's totally fair enough then because ambition and career drive are things you find attractive so it would be very interesting for you to know what they do. I'm the opposite, I'm more interested to know what hobbies and passions they have outside work. Very few get to work in a place they feel passionately for, most work to keep food on the table so I don't mind if work is not where they show their true talents.

By that I just meant that being working class I have met loads of people who are over 25 and are still in low paid roles cleaners, warehouse operatives, retail, stock fillers, mail sorters etc. etc. who are really nice to be around, it's kind of the norm.
Original post by Foo.mp3
You only know the half of it :smile:

Would they joke about your seniority if you were further in your career than them? Probably not. Think about it, it's a not-so-subtle jokey jokey (semi-serious) power play. Wake up

Plenty of easily wowed/relatively immoral ditzy blonde slutbags out there :dontknow:

Yup, reinforced by experiences with their 'target market' (girls described above)

Yup, and they're all members of 'gentlemans clubs', most do coke, and you won't find many who haven't used sex workers/been involved in group sex/wife swapping etc. These twonks never grow up

Indeed it’s not, and indeed it’s time to make things happen

power play? You mean seducing me with the fact that they're smarter than me and have successfully completed med school and gone on to become doctors? Hah! It's not really big a deal to me and like I've said,they don't seem to be the manipulative,completely arrogant type,in fact the complete opposite. And in any case,it's always nice that the guy is earning more in my opinion,that way I won't have to work :wink:

Correct! I don't know if they've had multiple affairs or group sex but wouldn't put it past them especially working in the banking sector. I'll go from Hannah the good,orthodox girl to Hannah the hoe :cry:

Well,I'm making things happen,I just need connections and a good place to start. I visited the store the other day on Kensington high street. I don't even mind volunteering for them,I just need to get in there/get my foot through the door to begin with*
(edited 7 years ago)
Why do girls never text back when I tell them I work at McDonalds?
Original post by Tom Jickleson
Why do girls never text back when I tell them I work at McDonalds?

Lol haha u should ask em

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
They plant the seed that they're superior/have a laudable position, and that you're this cute little subordinate wannabe *jokey jokey*

It's relatively subtle, sometimes somewhat subconscious pecking-order type behaviour

Oh no doubt! Good luck with your lap of luxury lifestyle aspirations :h:

I am indeed a wannabe doctor :sad:

I am no gold digger!

Seeing as you also want to work with wild animals maybe we can break into the industry together *
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by queen-bee
I am indeed a wannabe doctor :sad:

I am no gold digger!

Seeing as you also want to work with wild animals maybe we can break into the industry together *

I know about a secret stash of nazi gold if you want in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
I know about a secret stash of nazi gold if you want in

Posted from TSR Mobile

how?!
Original post by xobeauty
should that not be one of the first things you ask? When is it ok to have that talk?

I think it would be off-putting if that was the first thing a woman asked me. Give it 2-3 days of conversations.
Reply 68
Original post by queen-bee
how?!

That's secret.
Depends when you ask it and how. If its of primary importance for you then be careful not to come across as materialistic or superficial if that might bother you.If you get to know people then you kind of know when to drop it in.
Reply 70
I do not see why it is inappropriate as asking a guy what he does for a living is small talk. In my job, I always ask when the guys do for a living and no one has ever been offended by it. Though, there have been a few who didn't disclose.
I personally don't see a problem with it...
Isn't that just your standard conversation starter?
There's no rule of etiquette, to my knowledge, rendering the question inappropriate but, as with many things, context and the way the question is presented are key.

Personally, if I received such a question early in an interaction, I'd be tempted to label you as a bit boring or, less unkindly, just feeling your way through nerves to become more engaging.

We are all different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending