The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Any non drinkers/clubbers starting September 2016?

I can't drink anymore for medical reasons and no longer particularly enjoy clubbing anymore as I feel like I'm past that point in my life. I know that freshers is mainly about drinking and im not adverse to going out a couple of times in freshers, I just wont drink. I'm quite a sociable person and quite enjoy meeting new people and I'm hoping to make some great friends at uni. I was just wondering if there where any like minded people who will be coming to Liverpool in September who aren't particularly fond of drinking/can't drink? I will be staying in Rankin hall in Carnatic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caraphernelia
I can't drink anymore for medical reasons and no longer particularly enjoy clubbing anymore as I feel like I'm past that point in my life. I know that freshers is mainly about drinking and im not adverse to going out a couple of times in freshers, I just wont drink. I'm quite a sociable person and quite enjoy meeting new people and I'm hoping to make some great friends at uni. I was just wondering if there where any like minded people who will be coming to Liverpool in September who aren't particularly fond of drinking/can't drink? I will be staying in Rankin hall in Carnatic

OH GOD, I'M NOT ALONE.

I'm fairly sociable as well, hopefully staying in Greenbank, McNair or Salisbury, and I don't drink except for the very occasional, and preferably non-alcoholic, fruit cider! What subject will you be studying?
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by Edminzodo
OH GOD, I'M NOT ALONE.

I'm fairly sociable as well, hopefully staying in Greenbank, McNair or Salisbury, and I don't drink except for the very occasional, and preferably non-alcoholic, fruit cider! What subject will you be studying?

I feel the exact same way! I'm already considered weird amongst the few friends I have because I don't drink, and I don't want to have to change myself just to fit in :frown: I'm living at home for the first year though, so I'm probably just going to be very unsociable...
Original post by OwlMagic153
I feel the exact same way! I'm already considered weird amongst the few friends I have because I don't drink, and I don't want to have to change myself just to fit in :frown: I'm living at home for the first year though, so I'm probably just going to be very unsociable...

Aaw, aren't you doing Egyptology as well? You can be my friend! Do you already live in Liverpool?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaw, aren't you doing Egyptology as well? You can be my friend! Do you already live in Liverpool?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but I live about 45 mins away by train :smile: And I'll take any chance to make friends before I get there lol, you seem like an awesome person :smile:
No, but I live about 45 mins away by train :smile: And I'll take any chance to make friends before I get there lol, you seem like an awesome person :smile:

Ha ha, thanks. What subject are you doing again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I don't drink or go to clubs. But I love meeting new people :biggrin: . Btw I am an international student from Canada and coming to Liverpool for LLB.
Original post by vibzzzz
I don't drink or go to clubs. But I love meeting new people :biggrin: . Btw I am an international student from Canada and coming to Liverpool for LLB.

What accommodation have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ha ha, thanks. What subject are you doing again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Classical Studies and Egyptology 50:50 :smile:
Reply 9
What accommodation have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't applied for any yet. I needed some advice about which one to choose. What do you recommend?
Classical Studies and Egyptology 50:50 :smile:

Yay! Which bit of Egyptology will you be doing?
Original post by vibzzzz
Haven't applied for any yet. I needed some advice about which one to choose. What do you recommend?

Well, I'd say that it's probably risky to apply to ones that are just on-campus, especially Crown Place/Vine Court as they are massively oversubscribed and some people have accommodation already. Do you want catered or self-catered?
Yay! Which bit of Egyptology will you be doing?

Probably a mix of language and culture, as I'm super interested in the burial rituals and artwork, especially concerning mythology, but I also wanna be able to understand/translate some of the texts.
Probably a mix of language and culture, as I'm super interested in the burial rituals and artwork, especially concerning mythology, but I also wanna be able to understand/translate some of the texts.

Oh, cool! I think I'm going to switch from 100% Egyptology to 75% after the first year, and will hopefully do the language side more, but I think I'll be terrible at it . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Well, I'd say that it's probably risky to apply to ones that are just on-campus, especially Crown Place/Vine Court as they are massively oversubscribed and some people have accommodation already. Do you want catered or self-catered?

I want a catered accommodation and also an ensuite washroom in my room.
Original post by vibzzzz
I want a catered accommodation and also an ensuite washroom in my room.

Then you'd have to apply to Vine Court (make sure to pick catered, though)! Not sure how many are available now, I've heard that some of them aren't an option on the website any more. If you just want a washroom then some of the halls at Carnatic have sinks if that's what you mean (I think that's Salisbury, McNair and one more, possibly Rankin)? Were you meaning a washroom or an actual bathroom?
Reply 16
Then you'd have to apply to Vine Court (make sure to pick catered, though)! Not sure how many are available now, I've heard that some of them aren't an option on the website any more. If you just want a washroom then some of the halls at Carnatic have sinks if that's what you mean (I think that's Salisbury, McNair and one more, possibly Rankin)? Were you meaning a washroom or an actual bathroom?

Thanks, I was unable to login to their accommodation portal before; but I checked now and it worked. I looked at Vine Court and applied their hopefully I can get a room. I meant a bathroom with a shower, sink and toilet LOL. Isn't that what they call an ensuite?
Original post by vibzzzz
Thanks, I was unable to login to their accommodation portal before; but I checked now and it worked. I looked at Vine Court and applied their hopefully I can get a room. I meant a bathroom with a shower, sink and toilet LOL. Isn't that what they call an ensuite?

Well, when you said washroom I wasn't sure if you meant a bathroom or just a sink, ha ha. Where else did you apply? I know that Greenbank also has a few en-suites but they're prioritised for disabled students. I hope you get Vine Court!
Reply 18
Well, when you said washroom I wasn't sure if you meant a bathroom or just a sink, ha ha. Where else did you apply? I know that Greenbank also has a few en-suites but they're prioritised for disabled students. I hope you get Vine Court!

haha..yeah me too. I applied to 2 catered options at Vine Court and one self-catered. :biggrin:
Original post by vibzzzz
haha..yeah me too. I applied to 2 catered options at Vine Court and one self-catered. :biggrin:

Oh, right. I sent you a PM, by the way. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply