The Student Room Group

Is menstruating really as bad as women claim it to be?

Scroll to see replies

Easy for you to say.

Some girls really do suffer from really painful symptoms. For me not only do I get stomach cramps I also get back aches. My friend suffers from pains that are worst than mine, there has been times where she even had to miss a few days of school.
Reply 21
Original post by shawtyb
dogs do
I've never seen a dog wearing sanitary protection :biggrin:
Reply 22
Personally I think you cannot generalise what a period is like for each individual woman. This is done a lot by certain women who complain about periods to an unholy extent and act as if they are the bane of every womans life and are a horrible experience for every woman. Not true. Every woman experiences periods differently- for me they are usually not painful at all. I do understand that they can be extremely painful for many people but I think that the response to that- as with the response to all pain that is unavoidable and normal (admittedly I cannot think of another example of pain that fits this criteria but I think readers will get the point I am making)- is to simply acknowledge it as normal and not try to make a big fuss about it. It is understandable to a certain extent that some women will be upset by their periods but all women feel different levels of discomfort when menstruating and for some they aren't as bad as some would have you think
Reply 23
[QUOTE=Anonymous;66406487]Mammals do have moments when they menstrate - although it's usually classed as being 'on heat' - like cats and dogs etc.

And as for the reason behind it in human women, it's to expel the unfertalised egg, and shedding the uterus lining that had prepared for a pregnancy.

I know that. But don't think other mammals shed their uterus lining. Must have some hard to fathom advantage since humans are at the top of the evolutionary tree.
Reply 24
I can't even remember my last period but they were horrific. I bleed every few weeks for a week at a time, sometimes couldn't even move the pain was so intense. I'd get so sick, and so bloated my clothes barely fit... It's horrible
my partner can be crippled by her period pains. So yes sometimes they can be excrutiating
I misread menstruating for masturbating. It's fair to say I was flummoxed by some of the responses, I began to believe masturbating led to bleeding lmfao
Original post by jake4198
I misread menstruating for masturbating. It's fair to say I was flummoxed by some of the responses, I began to believe masturbating led to bleeding lmfao

i legit laughed so hard!
i swear it kills! i bleed for 6-7 days :yes:
it really hurts for the first 4 days,:cry2: like i cant even stand up fully, but then after i dont feel much!
but i never ever complained about to the person who is in front of me :nah:

for some women tho, it barely hurts, they dont have cramps n stuff..... that not many women tho :lol:, n for others it hurts to the point you wanna cry out loud :sad:

btw, who are u asking? coz u say 'women claim' but only women have periods.....so i hope ur not asking men!
Original post by Anonymous
All you hear is "Omg it feels like I'm dying!!" or "Don't blame me for being a mean *****, blame my period!!" (for example).

You bleed for 4 days, a week tops, every month... plenty of products to deal with it, and even "enjoy" it.

Why can'y you quit complaining and accept that it's part of being a woman?

It's individual to every woman... Some women get hardly any side effects at all others have to be hospitalised every month like one of my old friends in high school. Attempting to generalise the experience of menstruation across every woman is futile.
Its not the blood that hurts, thats just annoying its not fun to bleed out of your vagina (shocker I know) . The pain can be so bad though, genuinely, imagine a stabbing sensation in your lower stomach or someone literally twisting your insides around, pain in your back constantly, sometimes its so bad I can barely move. Some people are lucky and don't get a lot of pain but most do. Also it gives you hormones which make you moody, sad, etc. People who have never experienced it shouldn't say its not that bad, no uterus no opinion:tongue:
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
Its not the blood that hurts, thats just annoying its not fun to bleed out of your vagina (shocker I know) . The pain can be so bad though, genuinely, imagine a stabbing sensation in your lower stomach or someone literally twisting your insides around, pain in your back constantly, sometimes its so bad I can barely move. Some people are lucky and don't get a lot of pain but most do. Also it gives you hormones which make you moody, sad, etc. People who have never experienced it shouldn't say its not that bad, no uterus no opinion:tongue:

im a right moody cow just before im due!
i also get like a nagging back ache, like not a proper back ache but like a 'my back really needs to click' kind of back ache. and my boobs hurt too
All you hear is "Omg it feels like I'm dying!!" or "Don't blame me for being a mean *****, blame my period!!" (for example).

You bleed for 4 days, a week tops, every month... plenty of products to deal with it, and even "enjoy" it.

Why can'y you quit complaining and accept that it's part of being a woman?

Here's an article one of the popular tracking apps made with survey results about symptoms that many people experience. Read it. Educate yo self. :wink:

http://blog.helloclue.com/post/144203364041/clue-health-survey-results-symptoms-of-the-cycle

For many people it's not just 'bleeding 4-7 days tops', and even for those who only bleed that long with no other symptoms it can still be irritating as heck. In contrast, I know other people who are literally left in tears and unable to move from painful cramps (even with pain relief), or have massive mood swings from hormones, or back pain, acne, etc... and it does actually affect many people in their day-to-day lives.

Different people experience their periods differently. You don't have their body so don't think you can understand what they are going through.
Hi.

While I do believe that some women over-exaggerate, periods can be very painful. When I have my periods, it is unbearable to the point where I feel nauseous, I vomit, and I have fainting spells. It really isn't the most comfortable feeling sitting in a chair at work at a computer all day when you are on your periods - the back pain and the lower belly pain and the all over body pain can be very painful. Also, because I have premature ovarian failure i.e premature menopause my feelings are intensified with the mood swings and the hot and cold flashes. I take hormone replacement therapy to replace my hormones which give me periods in a sense but I don't release eggs. I only take them because if I don't I feel really ill.

Some of us women can't just "enjoy" periods and while there are certain "products" to help make a period more easier, it doesn't make it a completely comfortable process. My periods last for 10 days whilst some women are lucky enough to have them only last for 3 days. If you have an illness such as PCOC, endometriosis, thyroid problems, and of course POF/premature menopause which just makes it all a lot more worse.
Week before period = pre-period cramps + constant worry of starting at any random point of any day
Period week = hell
Week after period = post-period cramps + awkward phase where you're not too sure if you've finished
Week 2 weeks after period = ovulation pains

and the cycle repeats.

All accompanied by constantly changing moods, potential vomiting and fainting during period/cramping, having to maintain life as normal even though you're dying with pain on the inside, dealing with people who think it's nothing... etc etc etc.
Reply 35
I was hospitalised for it during college for 2 weeks :frown:*
My pains huuuurt
Like I'm being stabbed in my lower abdomen
Plus I get very hot, my body temperature increases
I once couldn't eat, sleep, drink or do my work.
It was bad.

:redface:
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Easy for you to say.

Some girls really do suffer from really painful symptoms. For me not only do I get stomach cramps I also get back aches. My friend suffers from pains that are worst than mine, there has been times where she even had to miss a few days of school.

I feel you on the back aches. None of my friends or family get this and it's so awful. I don't even mind the cramps that bad because you do kind of get used to it after the first few hours I think but the back pain is horrid.

Also for me the exhaustion is the worst, like I have zero energy for a week and then whether I sit, stand, or lie down, my back is agony. Also I get a really high body temperature for the whole time which makes sleeping really difficult.

Also OP 4 days - pfffft I wish it was 4 days. Mine are 7 days. One of my friends only has 3 day periods with barely any pain and she complains more than me so I do think some women ham it up though
Tbh i do think that women do make a bit of a fuss over it but i try not to judge because different ppl experience different things.
Mine hurt a lot for about a day but i just try to get on with it without complaint.
The only time i would take painkillers is if im away or on DofE or a field trip or something and cba or it's too painful :smile:

So because you don't suffer that bad, every other woman who claims to suffer more than what you have directly experienced, must be a liar or overly dramatic?

I used to have such bad stomach cramps that I'd be physically sick. I'd actually throw up from the pain. I'd also feel very faint from presumably the blood loss and pain combination. I remember being in GCSE maths, and all of a sudden feeling severe cramps, my vision went blurry, the room started swaying and I knew I was close to fainting. As I was bent over, hobbling to the nurse I was heaving down the corridor.

After that I went on the pill and haven't looked back since. 💅 But please, try and understand that some women suffer more than others. God I do not miss the mornings of waking up with your stomach trying to tie itself into the tightest knot possible, the back pain, even aching thighs, whilst feeling sick, faint and as if you are a literal tap down there. And then another three weeks and you have it all over again :yay:

It's been 6 years since I've suffered with normal periods, you really forget what it used to be like.
Original post by infairverona
I feel you on the back aches. None of my friends or family get this and it's so awful. I don't even mind the cramps that bad because you do kind of get used to it after the first few hours I think but the back pain is horrid.

Also for me the exhaustion is the worst, like I have zero energy for a week and then whether I sit, stand, or lie down, my back is agony. Also I get a really high body temperature for the whole time which makes sleeping really difficult.

Also OP 4 days - pfffft I wish it was 4 days. Mine are 7 days. One of my friends only has 3 day periods with barely any pain and she complains more than me so I do think some women ham it up though

Ahh how can I forget the high body temperature!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending