The Student Room Group

GIRLS! How common is it NOT to get menstrual cramps?

It seems like every girl out there gets bad menstrual cramps. I know a lot of do girls get very bad cramps but I don't think I've ever met another girl who doesn't. S

I know a lot of girls get menstrual cramps but I personally hardly ever get them (thank God!)- I've had it 3/4 times (mild) during 6 years of menstruating. I like to think it's because I eat very healthily and exercise almost everyday but who knows? I've never met anther girl who has said they don't have it either. So I'm just wondering how common it is not to suffer from it!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
It seems like every girl out there gets bad menstrual cramps. I know a lot of do girls get very bad cramps but I don't think I've ever met another girl who doesn't. S

I know a lot of girls get menstrual cramps but I personally hardly ever get them (thank God!)- I've had it 3/4 times (mild) during 6 years of menstruating. I like to think it's because I eat very healthily and exercise almost everyday but who knows? I've never met anther girl who has said they don't have it either. So I'm just wondering how common it is not to suffer from it!

Can someone tell me how to make a poll please?
I always get quite bad cramps the first night after I get my period, but then I have virtually no cramps for the rest of my period, so you're not alone :smile:
(Sorry can't help with the poll)
I get it. It's terrible. Considering getting my ovaries removed, wastes 12 weeks of the year.

I know many people who have no pain at all. Lucky. :indiff:

I believe to add a poll you click tools then do add poll?
(edited 7 years ago)
I've never met someone who doesnt get cramps - you must be one of the lucky ones!

Then again, I don't mormally ask women "do you get cramps when on your period?". So idk, maybe it isn't that rare but its not really talked about. This is quite interesting actually!

Regardless, you have been blessed haha
I get 0 cramps.
On the first day though I have immense back pain but that subsides if I walk around/exercise.

It's weird because my mum doesn't get cramps but my sister gets cramps really bad.

I think I've had two cases of cramping, tops, in ten or so years of having a period. I don't know why, I think it might be genetic because my grandma never got cramps but my mum got awful PMT so I assume I got my grandma's genes instead of my mums
There has been the odd occasion where it came and went without much pain at all but I usually get some cramps
Reply 8
My cramps are very minimal except for the odd few times where I've been on the floor nearly rolling about in tears but in general, period cramps aren't a big deal for me. Its the mood swings, depression and overall body achiness that gets to me more than the period cramps themselves.

I'm on the pill now but when I wasn't and I ovulated naturally, the pain I felt then literally made me fall to the floor and that's a big reason why I went on the pill so I wouldn't ovulate but the normal period cramps have never been as bad as that. I find diarrhea a lot more painful than a period, personally. I do know people in my family who had awful, heavy and painful periods though and from what they have described it sounds hellish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always get cramps but some months are worse than others. When they're minimal, I can still do my normal activities, take some Feminax and I'll be okay. When they're bad, they're really bad and I lay in bed with a hot water bottle, Feminax and a hot drink and just sleep for most of the day.
just bang alot and then it will be all good x

I'm a girl and I've never had menstrual cramps in my life. Don't feel anything out if the ordinary at all, actually. I'm 18 so I don't think they're likely to just start now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone tell me how to make a poll please?

Since you're anon, I don't think you can add a poll.

Mods, could you add a poll?
I don't get cramps, just an uncomfortable heavy feeling that feels like a mild, dull ache. :dontknow:
I started with no cramps (which was a blessing because it started at 11 years old) and they have progressively got worse over the years to waking up in pain and a full day of agony. Still not as bad as others have it though.
I'm 16 and have never had cramps, I think it's pretty normal..
Original post by Platopus
I'm a girl and I've never had menstrual cramps in my life. Don't feel anything out if the ordinary at all, actually. I'm 18 so I don't think they're likely to just start now.

Cramps can start at any time
Original post by cherryred90s
Cramps can start at any time

I'll just ride this wave of luck and hope for the best then!

Quick Reply

Latest